New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

freshwater planted tank - best lighting???

Started by fishesarecool, June 10, 2012, 01:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishesarecool

I'm slowly gathering all I need to set up a 40-55 planted tank, I have the stand so far, just painted it and it's nice and shiny and new looking.  I purchased an eheim ecco pro canister filter and so now I'm thinking about the light fixture and want advice on some affordable lighting for my tank. I would like a little better than the usual light fixtures that come with kits.   There is so much out there and I'm looking for some expert advice on what to use.  The tank is going to house Angels and hopefully their children.

exv152

In a planted tank, the number one decision to make is whether you're gonna do a high tech setup (with co2), or low tech. The lighting intensity will greatly depend on it.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

fishesarecool

I want the hight tech tank.  I have a small 12 gallon planted eclipse right now and running co2 on it and its doing well.  In it I have some of the lower light requirement plants and I would like this second tank to have more of a variety of plants that I haven't had luck with in the past such as red leaf plants.  They all just fell apart and disappeared.

exv152

Quote from: fishesarecool on June 11, 2012, 05:28:11 PMI want the hight tech tank.  I have a small 12 gallon planted eclipse right now and running co2 on it and its doing well.  In it I have some of the lower light requirement plants and I would like this second tank to have more of a variety of plants that I haven't had luck with in the past such as red leaf plants.  They all just fell apart and disappeared.

Yeah, anything with red leafs requires more light intensity. Your best bet is to look at T5HO's.  They're better than power compacts, T8's or T5NO's, and the bulbs are cheaper to replace than the PC. Then aim for around 3 watts per gallon of lighting or a slight bit more. I wouldn't go above 3.5wpg. Then to complete the high tech setup, you'd be looking at a pressurized co2 system and daily fert dosing.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g