New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GROUP BUILD: Micromatic CO2 Regulator

Started by daworldisblack, April 09, 2012, 11:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Quote from: daworldisblack on June 06, 2012, 11:49:24 PM
Thanks again for the Help Errol! Stoked to get it up and running!...

Rah, how's your solenoid holding up, are you have any of the same issues as Andrew? I haven't hooked my stuff up yet because I haven't had the time to drop by pyromateck.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: exv152 on June 07, 2012, 09:05:58 AM
Rah, how's your solenoid holding up, are you have any of the same issues as Andrew? I haven't hooked my stuff up yet because I haven't had the time to drop by pyromateck.

Mine's good it seems. Stopped bubbling about 10mins after timer went off. We did test the output with the solenoid plugged and unplugged as well just to see if it was functioning as expected. Perhaps you can try doing that even though its not plugged in? The check valves we got were superb as well.

Quote from: androo303 on June 07, 2012, 07:33:34 AM
I am going to take it over to Errol's place for some diagnostics, I was ubber eager to plug this baby in but then it was quickly followed by discouragement when the solenoid wouldn't close the the CO2 off.

Sounds good Andrew. Hopefully the doc can fix it up. Otherwise we can see about getting replacement ones in.LMK.*fingers crossed*
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

androo303

Quote from: exv152 on June 07, 2012, 07:41:42 AM
Maybe it's just a question of the wiring since I remember you had an issue with that during assembly. Does the solenoid making a clicking noise when the timer goes on/off?

The solenoid makes a click noise when i plug it in and pull it out, also the LED lights up (i did this in a quiet room). What I will do tonight is release all the pressure and then plug the solenoid in so it is engaged (closed) and then up the pressure to see what happens. It may also be that something is logged in it??

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on June 07, 2012, 10:15:38 AM
The solenoid makes a click noise when i plug it in and pull it out, also the LED lights up (i did this in a quiet room). What I will do tonight is release all the pressure and then plug the solenoid in so it is engaged (closed) and then up the pressure to see what happens. It may also be that something is logged in it??

I'm not supremely mechanically oriented myself, and I don't claim to be an expert in co2 equipment, but solenoids are known to occasionally stick open, the part that closes is apparently a spring loaded mechanism that pushes a rod up to close the gap, stopping the co2.  Maybe the rod can be lubbed with oil. Debris is definitetly something to look out for. When you put it together or take it apart always ensure no debris gets inside. The smallest debris in the regulator, nv or cylinder can also cause issues. Hope it works out soon. Keep us posted!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

I finally got around to building my 2 rigs, will post some pics later after pressure testing is over.
Errol

bizfromqc

So with everything said and done gents, what's the total cost of these units all-in for people who might thing of doing something similar in the future?

charlie

The pressure/leak test had one small leak on one unit between the bubble counter & the 90 deg. elbow, this was resolved by resealing it.
The 2 units were built differently since one had to be designed for a remote needle valve mount on the 25 gallon tank so i can easily access it to adjust while the bottle is stashed behind the tank out of sight, for this i used a Fabco Valve mounted at the front of the cabinet behind the the cabinet front panel so it`s out of sight & used a Fluval in line bubble counter.
the other was the more traditional all in one mount & all brass fittings was decked out with some nickel plating by a good friend of mine who owed me one ;), this rig used a swagelok needle valve & will supply my 10 gallon tank.
Thanks to all the guys who made this possible.
Errol
P.S Eric the accountant of the group build can itemise the parts & cost

exv152

I think I recognize that setup, is that FlyingHellFish's dici bubble counter? Or did you pick that up from AI?  Nice job on the rigs! One thing I like about the micromatic regulator is the length of the neck on the tank connector.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Quote from: charlie on June 07, 2012, 05:36:47 PM
The pressure/leak test had one small leak on one unit between the bubble counter & the 90 deg. elbow, this was resolved by resealing it.
The 2 units were built differently since one had to be designed for a remote needle valve mount on the 25 gallon tank so i can easily access it to adjust while the bottle is stashed behind the tank out of sight, for this i used a Fabco Valve mounted at the front of the cabinet behind the the cabinet front panel so it`s out of sight & used a Fluval in line bubble counter.
the other was the more traditional all in one mount & all brass fittings was decked out with some nickel plating by a good friend of mine who owed me one ;), this rig used a swagelok needle valve & will supply my 10 gallon tank.
Thanks to all the guys who made this possible.
Errol
P.S Eric the accountant of the group build can itemise the parts & cost

Nice! I didn't know you had yet to set yours up! I still have that extra cable from the other time should you need if for your solenoids!

Quote from: bizfromqc on June 07, 2012, 04:23:15 PM
So with everything said and done gents, what's the total cost of these units all-in for people who might thing of doing something similar in the future?

What Andrew and Eric have, came up to about $150 with the fabco needle-valves. I think thats the basic model from our group. They added bubble counters though so would need to add the cost of that on. And the cost of the tanks.
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

charlie

Quote from: exv152 on June 07, 2012, 06:30:30 PM
I think I recognize that setup, is that FlyingHellFish's dici bubble counter? Or did you pick that up from AI?  Nice job on the rigs! One thing I like about the micromatic regulator is the length of the neck on the tank connector.
Nope, i bought 2 of them last time i was down @ AI.

charlie

Quote from: daworldisblack on June 07, 2012, 06:36:38 PM
Nice! I didn't know you had yet to set yours up! I still have that extra cable from the other time should you need if for your solenoids!

Thanks Rah, i`m good for cables
QuoteWhat Andrew and Eric have, came up to about $150 with the fabco needle-valves. I think thats the basic model from our group. They added bubble counters though so would need to add the cost of that on. And the cost of the tanks
If memory serves me right
Regulator is 55.00 before shipping & txs
Solenoid approx 28.00 before shipping & txs
fittings 12.00-15.00
New needle valves - can run from 25.00 - 150.00 depending on what you preference - econmy or quality, as far as econmy the Fabco is about the best bang for the buck.
Bubble counter?? mine from Ai was 13.00 , fluval in line i think is around 10.00?

exv152

Quote from: charlie on June 07, 2012, 06:45:43 PMBubble counter?? mine from Ai was 13.00 , fluval in line i think is around 10.00?

JBJ bubble counters are $22 shipped with taxes and all, on ebay. I think the link is somewhere further back on this thread.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Quote from: androo303 on June 07, 2012, 10:15:38 AM
Andrew , i ended up not having to go to the Hospital after all, so i had a look @ your rig, you can sleep well the Solenoid is good, it just needed opening up & blowing out, probably some debris from the CO2 cylinder ( this is common), i took the liberty to rebuild the rig & leak test it , you are good to go.
Eric if you want yours reworked like Andrew, just pick up a 1/8 to 1/8 NPT hex nipple & bring the rig over, wont take long.
Errol

exv152

Quote from: charlie on June 07, 2012, 08:25:55 PM
...Eric if you want yours reworked like Andrew, just pick up a 1/8 to 1/8 NPT hex nipple & bring the rig over, wont take long.
Errol

Thanks Errol, you're a class act. It may be a bit longer for me though, I work 9-5pm mon-fri, and getting out to gatineau during those business hours can be a challenge. But if I have any issues I'll definitely give you a shout.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

androo303

Quote from: charlie on June 07, 2012, 08:25:55 PM
Andrew , i ended up not having to go to the Hospital after all, so i had a look @ your rig, you can sleep well the Solenoid is good, it just needed opening up & blowing out, probably some debris from the CO2 cylinder ( this is common), i took the liberty to rebuild the rig & leak test it , you are good to go.
Eric if you want yours reworked like Andrew, just pick up a 1/8 to 1/8 NPT hex nipple & bring the rig over, wont take long.
Errol

You my friend are king. PERIOD.

Definitely know your stuff. When is good to stop by? Friday night or Saturday morning?

androo303

Quote from: daworldisblack on June 07, 2012, 06:36:38 PM
What Andrew and Eric have, came up to about $150 with the fabco needle-valves. I think thats the basic model from our group. They added bubble counters though so would need to add the cost of that on. And the cost of the tanks.

It was time for me to go in head first and get something like this, because quality in is quality out. Errol was a great teacher, and the other 2 were good company too I guess.  :)

The tank I got was 10lbs for $90 and Rah got the 20lbs for $120. I couldn't justify the extra 10lbs because I needed to make sure the tank would fit under my stand or my gf would kill me!  :D

androo303

Quote from: exv152 on June 07, 2012, 09:21:48 PM
Thanks Errol, you're a class act. It may be a bit longer for me though, I work 9-5pm mon-fri, and getting out to gatineau during those business hours can be a challenge. But if I have any issues I'll definitely give you a shout.

Eric, do you need me to make a run for you? I am off next Wednesday to Monday for my house move and will be making a run across the river to Costco for cheap pop.

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on June 07, 2012, 09:29:48 PMEric, do you need me to make a run for you? I am off next Wednesday to Monday for my house move and will be making a run across the river to Costco for cheap pop.

If you can manage to pickup a 10lbs steel for $90, I'd be greatly indebted. I work for the feds and getting out during those hours would mean taking vacation time. I don't plan to take summer vac until august. I can drop off the money for you before hand, or reimburse you later, whatever works better for you. LMK. Thanks dude, you rock!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

bizfromqc

Quote from: exv152 on June 07, 2012, 09:36:42 PM
If you can manage to pickup a 10lbs steel for $90, I'd be greatly indebted. I work for the feds and getting out during those hours would mean taking vacation time. I don't plan to take summer vac until august. I can drop off the money for you before hand, or reimburse you later, whatever works better for you. LMK. Thanks dude, you rock!

I thought most of you guys came to the Gatineau Costco for the Coors Light Octopak :-)

androo303

Quote from: exv152 on June 07, 2012, 09:36:42 PM

Email sent