New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Betta colour change

Started by 101DalmatianMollies, May 15, 2015, 07:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

101DalmatianMollies

So my betta has almost completely changed colour. He used to have theses beautiful iridescent blue scales... And now they're almost completely gone. I have been using aquarium salt to see if that would help, to no avail. He is also developing black spots, and I just noticed his eyes are changing colour.

What could be happening? He still has a good appetite.

Thanks!

robt18

??

But on a more serious note, I have no idea.

missavgp

Could you post a before pic of your fish? It would help confirm this but it is likely that your fish's colour was actually marble which will change and sometimes very dramatically through their lives. The Pics below are of the same fish.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

Lexx

+1 for what missavgp said!

101DalmatianMollies

I unfortunately never took a picture of him before he changed :( but his scales looked like they were painted on
Kinda like this: http://www.petworldrochester.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Welcome-2012-Dragon-Scale-Betta.jpg

101DalmatianMollies

Now the tips of his fins are turning blue.

101DalmatianMollies

Even more colour loss. He's kind of turning white.

missavgp

it's definitely a marble. They tend to go from dark to light, and then sometimes back again

Here are a couple pictures of the same fish from one of my spawns

101DalmatianMollies

Ok Cool - so nothing to worry about then? Will just get to experience the fun of marbling? :D

missavgp

IMHO that is what is going on. Your betta doesn't appear to have anything wrong with it from the pictures other than the colour change. I wish I had documented that fish's whole change as it went from copper to cellophane and then it did go back to copper

101DalmatianMollies

Yeah I mean he's almost completely white now.. all the red is coming out of his fins and he's going transparent in the fins and he's becoming more white along the body vs. the cream colour. He's otherwise healthy, engaged, eating, happy. Other than changing colour he seems completely normal. I had a moon tail betta do the same thing. Started off white and red, then turned deep turquoise. Was a really cool transition.