New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

CO2 Tablets

Started by wolfiewill, March 09, 2019, 10:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfiewill

Jody, I've recently come across a product allegedly sold at BAs, called CO2 Tablets from Ista. After doing some research online, and sending enlisting input on several forums, I have yet to discover the ingredients for this product. It's a concern because there is a pharmaceutical company that makes 'CO2 tablets' for human consumption which contains two anitbiotics. I am seriously concerned since I met someone who is new to the hobby, who has two young children, who has purchased a bottle for a planted tank. There may be dangers that this family is not expecting.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Jody

Hi Wolfiewill,

Thanks for the heads up. I will take a look at the MSD sheet to see what we need to know.
Once I get a chance, I will post here for you as well.

Thanks
Jody

wolfiewill

Jody, it's been a while without feedback on this issue. What's in this stuff?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Jody

Hi Wolfiewill,

There is no specific MSDS sheet for this item, and everything leads us to the MSDS of their CO2 canister.

I spoke to our corporate Health and Safety person about it, and she said that all she has is the MSDS for the canister.
We are led to believe it is simply a CO2 tablet, and there are no other problematic chemicals in it.

Jody

wolfiewill

Quote from: Jody on March 28, 2019, 10:12:29 AM..... everything leads us to the MSDS of their CO2 canister.

What do you mean by 'their CO2 canister'??

Jody

Hi Wolfiewill,

The only  MSDS from Ista, for their products, is for the CO2 canisters that they sell.

Jody