New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Air pump advice

Started by Dorrie, March 22, 2008, 12:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorrie

Hi!

I'm looking to get an air pump for my 33g tank to add a few bubblers :)

I'd like to know what other people have tried, the pros and cons (ie which brands are silent/noisy, longlasting/blippy, etc.) and how big the pump should be.

So looking forward to you any thoughts/ideas/commentaries/stories related to air pumps here :D

james

Hi
If you are going to use the air pump for bubbles, and are using it for only one devise only anything will do. It is a whole new ball game if you are using it for a undergravel or filtering purposes. In this case you will have to shop around for a good one. Usually the specs are given on the box of the air pump. Usually the Hagan one are very reliable. I have a OPtima (hagen) for over 6 years now.

JAMES
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

presto

I hate the noise all pumps make but these are the best ones I own.

I like the Rena cause it is relatively quite and has a airflow control built on the pump.

I have 2 whisper pumps and they are ok too but they have a cheap airflow valve that is separate from the pump but even on carpet I can hear them, maybe I'm just picky.

Saltcreep

Quote from: presto on March 26, 2008, 03:32:45 PM
I like the Rena cause it is relatively quite and has a airflow control built on the pump.

You have to be careful with airflow controls though. If the airflow is controlled by restricting the amount of air going to the airline, this will cause premature wear of the diaphragm because it creates back pressure. A better way is to add a Tee to the airline and install a brass or plastic air valve on the branch not being used. Adjust the valve to bleed off the excess air which will limit the amount of air going into your tank. Should allow for finer adjustments too.

Dorrie

Thanks for your advice :D

Well I joined in the JL Aquatics group order and am getting some Stellar air pumps http://www.jlaquatics.com/phpstore/store_pages/tlist/airpumps/stellar.php?category_ID=46.

I'll keep you posted on output and noise level.

freshwater

my Whispers are way quieter than my Rena air pump

Dorrie

Just got my Stellar pumps tonight (Thank you Scott! 8)) and so far I'm blown away: incredible outpout and very low noise (right now my computer fan is louder than my aquariums in tho other room! Joy! :D