New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Air In Filter

Started by Lurch1, March 28, 2012, 09:46:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurch1

My Eheim 2215 seems to be sucking air, no leaks and all the connections are tight. Every 30 sec or so it "grinds" air and shoots big bubbles out the spray bar. Any ideas?

exv152

Did you just hook it up recently?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

Yeah. I opened it up last night again and siliconed the intake connection at the bottom. It seemed to help. Does it take awhile to get the air purged from the system?

pm

It does take some time to purge the air.  Think of all the potential spots for small air pockets.  I just re-setup a 2213, and I wobbled it around once setup and running to purge as much as I could.

bizfromqc

I think it's a pretty standard thing with canister filters.

I've got a Fluval one and when I first set it up, and with each subsequent cleaning, it always takes a little while for all the air to come out.

It will go from one spurt of air every 30 seconds to every 2 minutes to every 10 minutes and then it's gone. Sometimes it can last for hours but it completely stops until you next open it up again.

Eric

exv152

Quote from: pm on March 29, 2012, 10:44:28 AM
It does take some time to purge the air.  Think of all the potential spots for small air pockets.  I just re-setup a 2213, and I wobbled it around once setup and running to purge as much as I could.

+1^ what he said. That was the next thing I was going to recommend. I have five eheim canisters running and I usually tilt the unit one side and then the other and that gets all the trapped air bubbles in the impeller unit to get pushed out. Once all the air is out, you'll notice an marked increase in flow too.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Lurch1

Sweet. At closer inspection at the intake at the bottom there were tiny tiny tiny little bubble coming in. I took it apart and took the O-Ring out and replaced it with a been of silicone. Now it super duper. Thanks.