New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

MAY 25: CLUB ELECTIONS!

Started by ajm1961, April 28, 2015, 07:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

Another year has passed, and it's time to "pass the torch" to the next group of individuals who will lead this club into its 62nd season.

It is IMPORTANT that you give some thought as to what this club means to you and what you are prepared to do to keep it going. We've have already reduced the positions down to their minimum, from 13 to 8, to keep the essential functions of the club going. Without this core group, the club in its current form will fold.

So, take a look at the positions below, and unless you want this club to become just another online Facebook presence, volunteer some of your time to keep this proud tradition going.

Post your nomination in this thread, stating your full name, the position you seek, and any comment about your candidacy. For those who hold a position, please state your intentions for next year.

Thank you for your time and consideration.
Andre Martin
President and member of the OVAS executive since 2011.

PRESIDENT

• Act as official representative and spokesperson for OVAS; including CAOAC and intra‐club liason.
  • Chair all Executive/membership meetings; serve as an ex‐officio member of all OVAS committees.
  • Ensure that members of the Executive carry out their duties while also recognizing individual capacity and willingness as volunteers; does not imply that the President must assume the duties of any Executive member who is absent or derelict in their duties.
  • Ensure Executive and Club continuity through leadership, mentorship, fellowship and encouragement of team work and recognition of efforts.
  • Ensures communication of club events and announcements to club and forum membership.

VICE-PRESIDENT

• Assist the President in carrying out all of his or her duties.
  • Act for the President, in the President's absence or at the request of the President.
  • In the event that some Executive positions are vacant, will assume the responsibilities for one of them, as agreed to with the President.
  • In the event that all Executive positions are filled, will assume other club or committee responsibilities as agreed to with the President.

SECRETARY

• Record the minutes and action points of all Executive meetings and ensure their posting on the Executive forum in a timely manner.
  • Record any proposed action, decision or vote taken at a general club meeting, and post them on the club forum in a timely manner.
  • As directed by the President, provide an account/summary of Executive meetings to the membership.
  • In collaboration with the President, attend to correspondence to and from OVAS and the OVAS Executive.
  • Ensure the tracking of OVAS' physical assets.

TREASURER

• Keep a complete and accurate record of the financial transactions of OVAS and make these available to the Executive at all reasonable times.
  • As approved, provide advances or reimbursements for club expenses incurred by members of the executive or club committees, while ensuring proper documentation of those expenses.
  • Prepare an annual financial statement for the approval of the Executive and the membership.
  • Ensure the safekeeping of OVAS' financial assets.
  • Attend to correspondence and records relating to OVAS' finances.
  • Provide financial forecasts and other financial advice to guide Executive decisions.

MEMBERSHIP CHAIR

• Maintain a current and complete record of all members, and make it available to the Executive at all reasonable times.
  • Collect membership fees and provide them to the Treasurer, with a reconciliation of the fees collected and the
    membership list.
  • Provide paid members with membership card and any club introduction materials in a timely manner.
    In collaboration with members of the Executive, develops and maintains club introduction materials to outline and communicate club benefits to paid and prospective members.
  • Develop and recommend strategies to promote membership in OVAS.
  • Coordinates any approved membership drives.

PROGRAM CHAIR

• Make recommendations and proposals for club meetings for approval by the Executive.
  • Once approved, make contact and arrangements for guest speaker and meeting activities.
  • Make arrangements for the smooth running of club meetings, including:
           - Meeting agenda
           - Reception and recording of guests and members
           - Door prizes
           - PA system, laptop and projector as required
           - Beverage and snacks (if not already provided at venue)
  • Develop contacts in the aquarium hobby, and hence develop a list of potential speakers for OVAS events.

ONLINE PRESENCE CHAIR

• Picture of the month contest or other forum activities or events
  • Forum content curation (i.e. posting of hobby related topics and references)
  • Administration of Facebook page
  • Obtaining hobby expert posts or input (ex. "Ask Albert Thiel")
  • Encouraging forum posts and welcoming new forum members

SPONSORSHIP CHAIR

• Follow‐up with all forum sponsors for renewal ; obtain payment and signed contracts according to defined timelines.
  • Seek new forum sponsors as needed, while respecting established rules.
  • Develop, maintain and safekeep sponsorship contracts
  • Develop and maintain relationship with sponsors and relate any complaint or improvement opportunities to Executive for resolution or decision‐making.
  • Ensures the development, posting, and removal of forum sponsor banners.
  • Collaborate with AquaMania Sponsor Coordinator to provide forum sponsors with opportunity to participate and further support the event; also to coordinate communication with forum sponsors who choose to sponsor AquaMania.
  • Seek business contacts to promote OVAS and OVAS activities, and seek sponsorships and other tangible ways of increasing the financial soundness of OVAS.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

ajm1961

I will not be returning as President for the 2015-16 season. I felt I have done my fair share over the past four years and need to spend some time on other personal and professional matters. I thank you for your support over the past year.

As Past-President, I will provide guidance as needed to the next executive team.
Regards,
Andre

robt18

In a similar situation as Andre, I'm looking to step out of the executive this year. I'm working 60+ hours per week and it sometimes conflicts with meeting dates/sleep/personal life. I'll still be around to help out where needed.

SlyAngel

I am not sure yet what I will be doing but will let everyone know before the meeting.
I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

SlyAngel

We had so many people that provided feedback and great ideas this year, now it would be a great time to join and bring those ideas alive.

I share two angel fish tanks - both of which my hubby takes care of! What's not to like?

SlyAngel

I will not be returning as sponsorship chair next year.

Thanks

charlie

Quote from: SlyAngel on May 05, 2015, 06:50:08 AM

Thanks
Thanks to yourself ,Andre & Rob for declaring your intent.
Big thanks also for your time & dedication to the club.
Errol

Stussi613

Quote from: SlyAngel on May 05, 2015, 06:50:08 AM

Thanks

I agree with Errol, thanks to all of you that worked so hard to make the club better over the years.

Stuart
I haz reef tanks.

ajm1961

Thanks Stu and Errol for the kind words. It's always nice to be appreciated for your efforts. It is, after all, volunteer work we did for the club, and I know I'm glad to have done my part to keep the tradition alive and into it's 62nd year of existence.

I hope others will step up - I will support them as best I can.

charlie

Quote from: ajm1961 on May 05, 2015, 11:29:05 AM
I hope others will step up - I will support them as best I can.
X2.
Over the years the pattern has always being an abundance of folks that knows what needs to be done & how to do it, sadly the ones willing to volunteer & try, is almost non existent, resulting in some folks volunteering out of sympathy due to the lack of folks stepping up, I sincerely hope this year is the break away year of volunteers who are dedicated  to the task & for the duration.
Errol

robt18

Some time has passed and no volunteers - please consider helping out the club in some capacity. Don't be intimidated by the "executive committee" title - it's pretty straight forward, not very time consuming and the past execs are typically there to help. Additionally, it's a huge help to the club.

charlie

Stussi613

A week and a half left and not a single volunteer, doesn't bode well for the future of the club :(
I haz reef tanks.

SlyAngel

Yes you are right Stuart, that is a bit sad. If we look back lots of people did have opinions, feedbacks or great ideas. Now would be a great time to act on them, like Andre said he will be there to provide guidance. I will also help the new sponsorship person, it's not like we will dump everything on the new exec.

If anyone has questions on any of the positions please pm Andre or anyone in the present exec.

ajm1961

I think that perhaps many of the people that are reading this thread on the forum are not necessarily the same people who come to the club meetings. Most of the executive work is going into preparing those meetings and events. So it would make sense to me that the people who most enjoy the meetings and events (garage sale, giant auction) and profit from the "face-to-face" side of the club should be the ones leading the executive.

charlie

It may be helpful  for the rest of the executive that has not yet declared their intention  to do  so.

SlyAngel

I am not sure it would make a difference, no one posted anything so far. Even if some want to stay, people can still indicate what they would be interest in. Having said that..it would be good to know everyone's intention.

bitterman

I really hope people step up and fill the positions so the club does not fold.

Bruce

limed

All depends on if anyone steps up to the top position, if any and also if I'm working 24/7
So if someone want the membership chair I will move aside.

Ed

limmer

I will run for Secretary again if no one steps up.