New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I've got ich in planted tank!

Started by sylros, December 10, 2011, 07:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylros

Hi all,

Last night, I discovered that 3 of my black neons had white dots on their fins and some sort of white patches on their bodies which makes me think that's a fungus.

They are in a 36gal tank...a planted tank! I've tried to take them out of there...no can do without taking all the plants out.

I've got aquarium salt, ich meds but with the plants, what can I do?

Thanks in advance for your quick responses!

touchofsky

I wouldn't use salt, since that can harm plants.  I do use salt for ich, but do it in a separate quarantine/hospital tank.  

I haven't used ich medication, since I use salt in a separate hospital tank, however, there are some I think that are plant safe.  I would do a search on the internet for plant safe ich medication.  Also, raising the temperature to the mid-80's will speed the life cycle.  I also believe that temperature in the high '80's will kill ich, but it will depend on whether the fish you have can tolerate high temps.  You may also have to increase aeration with the higher temperatures.

I hope someone who has cleared ich in a planted tank will jump in.

fischkopp

Use the meds. Lot's of different ones out there that will work just fine.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

raising the temp enough to speed up the ich cycle as mentioned & use Mardel Maracide as suggested on the box, another med that works is aquari sol sp?.
Regards

sylros

Thanks everyone! I would have never tried the mardel maracyde stuff as there's no mention of ich and if it's safe for the plants.

So far, I've been raising the temp slowly as it was around 74 (remember I've got weather loaches that like cooler temp) and now it's at 78 and very slowly rising to 82. Aeration has been increased with the filter spout which creates a constant waterfall noise. The lights are off too but there's enough coming from the window to see in the tank.

The meds I used were called Parasite Clear from Jungle. It specifically indicated safe for plants but didn't say about ich even though everything else was mentioned.

There's a bucket with salt ready to go as I've read that some have used it successfully in planted tanks albeit in lower doses...my concern with this method is the loaches and my tetras...as they don't like salt but low doses should be OK. Using salt will mean many many WC...

The carbon has been taken out of the filter, and I took the opportunity to use the quilting batting as floss. It works like a charm, my water has never been so clear. LoL

The other meds that I ended up getting was Super Ick from API but that doesn't say if it's safe for plants but will colour the water...first I have to wait until the Jungle product does it's thing...as I think there's been a improvement already but not sure. This treatment will take 48+hours to work before I can add 2nd dose if needed.

The fish seem to be somewhat OK, swimming a bit odd in a jerking motion but they are eating. Keeping a close eye!

touchofsky

I have weather loaches in an unheated tank upstairs in my house.  We don't air condition, so the tanks often reach the mid 80's in the summer.  The loaches do fine.

sylros

Thanks for confirming that as I was criticized for having them at higher temp but everything I read indicated they were adaptable. But they are slower moving though maybe it's them adjusting. I'm watching everyone very closely but so far so good.

touchofsky

I hope all goes well, and please keep us posted.

sylros

Today marks day 2 of treatment, the temperature is finally at 82F and everyone seems to be doing fine. There are less white dots on the black neon tetras but my Pearl gourami seems to now have some spots but he hangs around the bottom a lot. Keeping the aeration high still with lights off. The plants are still thriving...lol I guess they also like the warmer waters as they keep on growing. Not adding any liquid fertz right now as I'm concerned that this will interfere with the treatment...The guppies seem to itch as they are rubbing on stuff even if there no visible signs, so as they are much easier to catch, I might just transfer them to the hospital tank and use a different treatment meds there - Super Ick stuff from API.

Thanks for everyone's replies, if you see anything that I'm either doing wrong or should be doing, please let me know.

sylros

Day 4 of treatment with a 2nd full dose of the Jungle product, water remains at 82F with full aeration day and night. BUT there are still dots albeit just a few - one on a black neon tetra, one on a gourami and I think one on the serpae tetras...but these have moved around throughout the treatment.

Tested the water and the ammonia is now at .25...so a water change is in order. What should I do, use the salt water bucket or use the Super Ick and take a chance....or do nothing except for keeping the temperature high?

I also have a hospital tank that is ready to go...the thing is to catch the fish and with a planted tank, that's a challenge with the neons...

So what would be best?

touchofsky

The white spot that you see on the fish is the adult stage of the parasite.  When it matures, it will break through the skin and be free swimming.  This is when you can kill it wth the parasite medication.  If not killed by medication, it would settle at the bottom of the tank and divide into many organisms, and then hatch out and become free swimming again ready to attach to another fish. 

Since you have medication in the tank, the few parasites that you are seeing, should be killed when they drop off the fish.  Ich can only be killed by medication when in the free swimming stage.

What are the instructions on the box of medication that you are using?

sylros

Here are the instructions on the back of the package. I did a search and people say it does kill ich so why am I still seeing them on the fish?

Remove carbon From filter during use. Add one tablet To each ten U.S.gallons (40 l) Of aquarium water. For tank volumes Of 40 gallons orlarger, And for soft And/or acid water with low alkalinity, dissolvetablets before adding To tank. Treatment may be repeated up To two timeswithing 48 hours between treatments And a 25% water change. For anchorworms And fish lice, repeat treatment up To three times, using once aweek with a 25% water change.

I checked again this morning, still dots on the fish but now on the serpae tetras and it's affecting their fins...unless they've been nipping at each other again...took a chance and put in Super Ick at half the dose because I wasn't sure if I had scaless fish. The temp remains at 82F, and did a 25% water change last night too. Will test the waters again today to make sure all's OK.

touchofsky

I think that you are just a little impatient to see a total cure.  It will take a bit longer for all of the parasites to complete the life cycle and be exposed to the medication in the water.   You have only been treating for 5 days so far.

How are your fish behaving?  Are they still eating and lively?

What do the serpae' fins look like.  Is it whiteness on the edges? 

sylros

Oh yes they're eating but I find their swimming a bit jerky and they're not necessarily chasing each other but they're still eating.

So far the plants are also OK, this super ich stuff doesn't seem to affect them. How long does it take though to get rid of them?

As for the white on the serpae tetras, this is part of their colouring but this was a clear white dot on a black part of their lower fin.

But just looked and for the first time, I am not seeing any dots. Yeah! but how long do I need to keep the higher temp?

touchofsky

I personally would keep the medication in the water and the heat elevated for a couple of more days, then gradually start to take the heat back down to normal. 

I am glad that you are seeing an improvement!  Is the clear dot damage from one of the parasites?  It may take a day or two for some little spots to heal.

sylros

Quote from: touchofsky on December 15, 2011, 11:42:59 PM
I personally would keep the medication in the water and the heat elevated for a couple of more days, then gradually start to take the heat back down to normal. 

I am glad that you are seeing an improvement!  Is the clear dot damage from one of the parasites?  It may take a day or two for some little spots to heal.

I ended up dosing with Super Ick, half dose and it's a miracle! :) For the 3rd day in a row, no dots anywhere and the fish are now swimming normally. Lots more energy, and their colours are back. The plants are also OK, they've even continued to grow! So, I'm starting to bring down the temp now, and after doing some water tests, will do a water change, put back the charcoal, etc...soon, I'll finally be able to put my female gouramis (yes, I found some!) into the tank. They've been happy in the 10 gallon so far, but it's crowded in there.

Thanks for all you help, much appreciated!

touchofsky

I'm glad it all worked out  :)  One thing to think about, is that charcoal is not generally recommended in a planted tank.  It is good for removing medications, etc., but it isn't needed on a regular basis.