New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

skimmer not working

Started by Darth, February 18, 2012, 01:28:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

so I have an octopus bh-1000 HOB skimmer for whatever reason it stopped doing the venturi thing, so the pump would just pump water back into the tank, but no bubbles for skimming, so I took it off cleaned it up, put it back together plugged it in and nothing, so I took it apart again checked the pump. plugged it in and it was fine (before putting back in the tank), so I put it back on, plugged it in again, still working, put it back on the tank plugged it in, it started to pump water it got about halfway up the skimmer and then stopped, so I took it apart again checked it plugged it in and it worked, put it together it runs for like 2-3 mins and the impeller gets stuck again I cleaned out the whole thing, but can't get it to work for more than a few minutes. So is the pump going bad, or maybe I need a new impeller I gotta tell you taking it on and off the tank is becoming a real PITA, so any help would be appreciated, and if it is parts does anyone know if anywhere locally sells the parts?

NjOyRiD

did you put everything in vinegar for 5 hours?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Darth

no should I just soak the imperller and the case, what about the pump? do I do it in straight vinegar? or a ratio dilution?

NjOyRiD

I would unassemble everything, put in vinegar diluted with water
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Darth

well it seems the umteenth time was the charm took it apart again and really scrubbed inside the pump seems there was bits of sand in the chamber for whatever reason I think its working again now thanks for the response! And I am glad I don't have to buy a new skimmer I was worried LOL

NjOyRiD

It always good to clean your pumps every year in vinegar for 5 hours
370g System

Darth

I will do that next time I take it apart for now I am just glad its working! LOL as far as the pump is concerened, its not a submersible pump the pump sits outside the skimmer is still okay to soak it?

NjOyRiD

No lol, just take impellar out
370g System

Darth

thats what I thought, but I had to ask as the only stupid questions are ones that are not asked  ;D

thanks again

NjOyRiD

370g System