New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

fish euthanasia

Started by freshfishies, April 04, 2012, 06:17:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exv152

Africans eh? Too bad. I was hoping you were gonna say south american cichlids, 'cause I would've taken them off your hands!!!
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

newtchaplin

When the job needs to be done all I do is pinch off the head, very fast, most humane to me.  Bigger fish just use a knife it's very quick.

wrm130

I read about clove oil a while ago, netting the fish, adding the oil...seemed like extra stress for the fish? Even if it does go to sleep its still being netted and moved around.

Sounds bad but I quickly net the fish into a grey grocery bag, run it outside and use a smooth brick.  The brick is heavy enough that I don't "feel" the squish and IMO the quickest possible death.

Just re-read the original post. Horrible!  This should never be done to an "unwanted fish" only those that are in pain and terminally ill :( There are always other options for any unwanted pets!

Dan

The quickest way I found was to wrap them in a paper towel. Place them between two pieces or plywood and 2-3 quick hits with a hammer on the top piece. Then just flush away the paper towel. I don't think they have time to suffer this way but still always feel a bit guilty even though I know its for the best.  :D

blueknight0303

quick? cut their head off.... :-X