New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

SW Blue Tang

Started by shannon333, July 18, 2012, 09:24:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shannon333

Ok,
I don't think he has been eating for 2-3 days?
You can see his entire rib cage now. He just lays flat now. Before he use to swim all around.
Twice I thought he was gone, only to come back downstair to see him upright and the gills going again.
I checked the salinity and temp.
Anyone have an idea of what I should do?

Hookup

you'll want him in a quite place.. no other threatening fish or crabs... they will sense the weakness and possibly harass him further.

you'll want to get him into highest quality water

you'll want to try feeding lightly with some garlic infused foods (garlic is rumored to help trigger a feeding response)

you'll want to keep the o2 levels high in the tank... airstones will help...

questions;
how long ago did you get him?  - if within a few weeks; how did you acclimate him?  How long did it take before he started acting normally?

What else is in the tank?  Anything?   If you have other fish/crabs etc.. you might want to QT him if you have the capability.

Describe your maintenance/things you've done over the past 2 weeks... water changes, feedings... etc...

What type of food are you feeding?  How much veg is he getting (was he getting?)

Greatwhite

Also need some tank info.. Size, equipment, etc.   Any results of water tests...

az

if you cant get him to eat small qty frequently he wont make it.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

shannon333

Thanks Everyone :0(
AZ is right, Gilford is not making it. Hes on his side,sort of curled with one fin going every 5 or so minutes.
His eyes have white spots and streaks on it now and the baby snails are all on him,etc.
Everything else is as healthy as can be.

I would love to know why he stopped eating.
I tested Ph,Salinity. Checked the Temp.

(75 G ,so plenty of space!)
...two clowns, yellow tang, 1 wrasse, 2 shrimps, 3 pepp. shrimps, Gobby, (blue tang),
...2 torches, a few polyps, Shrooms, 3 bublble corals, a tree-like thing and cleaning crew. oh and a feather duster.

darkphreak

A yellow tang and a blue tang in a 75g will cause undue stress on the fish, the tank is to small. Was the blue tang a recent addition?

JetJumper

unfortunately a 75g tank is small for a yellow and a blue tang.  but not necessarily the issue.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

shannon333

It is??
I was going to get another blue tang.
They were so happy together though, stuck together like salt and pepper.

shannon333

I'm thinking it could possibly be the heat wave???
...I mean I had to turn the heater and lights off of my small tank for a good week because of the weather.
And I even had to put a bucket of cold water in to get the temp down twice.
But I never did that on the big tank.

jon1985

what was the temp?  I had a tank spike at 88 and I lost a few SPS colonies but no fish.  I guess if he was already weak and on the way out the heat wouldnt not have helped.

Greatwhite

Yeah... if you do some research on Tangs in general, they "require" a 100G for ONE Tang (according to some web sites)... Elitist fish keepers will say 120+.  And NEVER 2 Tangs in less than 120G.  They may have appeared to be getting along, but you never can tell with these fish.  They're bi-polar!

You mentioned that you tested PH, Salinity and Temp.  I'd recommend picking up a proper test kit and test for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, etc as well.  Tangs can be very sensitive to changes in water parameters.  It's best to test your water regularly (with water changes) to avoid issues...

shannon333

RIP Gilford.
....yep, I got attached to this one.
I keep thinking there is something in the big tank that is killing my fish?
And no, I don't hear clicking. I thought I did, turned out to be a sprinkler outside.
What else could or would kill or injure fish?
I looked for crabs,worms ,theres no more clear anenomes, ???
Theres got to be something in there!!!
....royal gramma, 2 shrimps, 1 wrasse, and my Gilford(blue tang)
I'm afraid to buy anything else

Hookup

Quote from: Hookup on July 18, 2012, 09:55:30 AM
questions;
how long ago did you get him?  - if within a few weeks; how did you acclimate him?  How long did it take before he started acting normally?

What else is in the tank?  Anything?   If you have other fish/crabs etc.. you might want to QT him if you have the capability.

Describe your maintenance/things you've done over the past 2 weeks... water changes, feedings... etc...

What type of food are you feeding?  How much veg is he getting (was he getting?)

Sorry he didn't make it... but if you're really wondering what happened, you might want to try to think about the above posted questions.  So many possible factors...

dustin_k

Was he a recent addition Shannon? And ive had 3 tangs in my 120 for a long time and plan on adding
Another in the near future.

7inch vlamingi
4-5inch yellow
4 inch yellow eye kole

And I don't have issues at all. Only between the yellow eye kole and my coral beauty.

I've had blue hippo tangs In the past and they seem
To look great and then all of a Sudan stop eating and slowly die a week later. Most likely a parasite IMO.

shannon333

Thats what the guy at MarineScape said, was either a parasite or injury.
I've had him for 3 months? or longer.
Yeah ,I remember aclimating him, took him a week to come out and swim.
I acclimated him with water from my tank every 15 minutes til there was more my water than it's previous water. took about 2 1/2 hours.
Maintenence, well...
I clean the skimmer/overflo box twice a week. Do the glass every week. Add water 3 times a week(summer is wicked for evaporation). Feed twice a day(frozen red stick in the morning, frozen square green stuff at night...pea size portions). And if I'm lucky, stick 1 to 2 corals back on the rocks that the snails knock off.(then spend half hour trying to get the glue off my fingers). I never did the fresh veggie on the magnet clip because someone said it changes the water parameters.

I don't think there was anything I did wrong or out of the ordinary.
It is just one of those things.

Hookup

Quote from: shannon333 on July 19, 2012, 08:44:15 PM
I don't think there was anything I did wrong or out of the ordinary.
It is just one of those things.

certainly sounds like... too bad really...  if i might ask for more details on feeding.. if im reading correctly, it sounds like a very little amount...   

kole18

Tangs known for ich, specially this kind of tang always get ich. They say it's hardy only if you can provide a healthy tank would do well, as well lots of of cleaner shrimp too. I remember bought 2 tiny 1's from ray I kept in my 65g but I ended up loosing both. Don't know what causes of the problem just disappear in my tank. If I'm going to vita hippo tang I would probably buy around 3-4" size so then it's stronger than the small 1:).

dakrazyone

sorry to hear, but it's something i've been accustomed to with blue tangs.  I couldn't keep 1 for the life of me and it was only blue tangs.  Been having issues for 2 years trying to keep 1, found out it was my favorite clown fish that was bullying them (maybe he doesn't like the color blue).  I noticed the clown fish and blue tang had scars, eventually the clown died and now the blue tang is doing really well.  Sometimes it's the things you least expect.  :(

dustin_k

I believe that you did everything right Shannon. These are just a very tricky fish for some people. Another thing is a lot of people have a hard time telling if these fish are in good health when they purchase them. Sometimes a apparently healthy fish can have a serious problem. I for one will be the first to admit that I have never successfully kept a hippo, and I've had 3. 6 months was the longest. But I've had powder blues and other bristletooth species that did very well. I've had success with lots of zebrasoma and naso species aswell. I don't think this fish is as beginner as people make it out to be.

Dakrazyone, I feel ya on the nasty clownfish. I have a clarkii ATM that I haven't been able to get out. Smart little *******. If it doesn't stop biting chunks out of my coral beauty's forehead, He's gunna get harpooned with a fork lol

shannon333

LMAO@Dustin :0)
Ditto on a small Emerald crab. Those things are quick and sneaky.
Would love to put him in the sump if I could get him before he gets huge.