New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT??

Started by jo.jacques, February 01, 2013, 03:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jo.jacques

Hey guys,
I just finished my water change (30% every 3 weeks in a 35G)

I look in my waste water bucket, and I see that:
3/4 - 1 inch long
6 legs
Seemed like a bug and it was swiming at the top of the water.
Photo:

What the hell is this??

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

blueknight0303

its a ground bug. commonly found underneath wood and rocks.

here. take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earwig

Cheebs

Sometimes in ears too! or in wigs! Wait, what? I think it's an earwig.

jo.jacques

Loll not sure if you are serious but it wasnt an earwig ;)
It didnt look like it and earwigs dont live underwater

Darth

Quote from: jo.jacques on February 01, 2013, 04:35:41 PM
Loll not sure if you are serious but it wasnt an earwig ;)
It didnt look like it and earwigs dont live underwater
looks like an earwig http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HemimerusHanseni.jpg u said it was swimming at the top of the water, if it was an underwater critter it would have most likely went to the bottom for saftey, you are assuming it came from the tank, it could have crawled into the siphon hose and was washed out when u did the water change, so I say earwig as well

JetJumper

Definitely an Earwig.. not a water critter. (IMHO)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

blueknight0303

earwig can swim above water like any other ground bugs.

Greatwhite

I don't know if you are all being serious, or if your calendars are all a couple months early for April 1, but that doesn't look like any earwig I've ever seen.  I lived in Trenton, which I like to refer to as the Earwig capital of the universe, so I've seen every size/shape of an earwig imaginable.

I've never seen one that could bend itself in the middle the way it is in the first 2 pics, and I've never seen one with "fuzzy" pinchers.  AND I certainly haven't ever seen one with a flared out tail like a shrimp before, as you can see in the third pic...

Is your tank fresh or salty??

Darth

angelcraze

OMG, that's shockingly gross!!!  (sorry, it has similarities to an earwig and I hate them)  I agree, looks like some sort of water creature too, looking at the tail and fuzziness.........I just never saw the fuzzy pinchers here before..........did you import any plants recently?  Don't know if I'm aloud to ask that.

Btw, earwigs rarely colonize indoors, and unless you had an issue last year, they would not be around yet. Don't know if this is all a joke.............ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeee at least you got em!!!!!!!!

Where do you keep your tank tools, basement?  Earwigs do like to crawl into moist areas, like a siphon.........I don't know what to say.  We need more answers.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

fischkopp

Looks like a damselfly larvae to me. Check the web, they come in quite a variety. These freaky little things have shown up in aquariums before.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

blueknight0303

Quote from: Greatwhite on February 03, 2013, 09:04:41 AM
I don't know if you are all being serious, or if your calendars are all a couple months early for April 1, but that doesn't look like any earwig I've ever seen.  I lived in Trenton, which I like to refer to as the Earwig capital of the universe, so I've seen every size/shape of an earwig imaginable.

I've never seen one that could bend itself in the middle the way it is in the first 2 pics, and I've never seen one with "fuzzy" pinchers.  AND I certainly haven't ever seen one with a flared out tail like a shrimp before, as you can see in the third pic...

Is your tank fresh or salty??

earwigs can bend itself. they can bend their belly until their tail is infront of them just like scorpions when defending themselves.

100% earwig. they are the only species of bugs with pincer on their tail. pic is of bad quality but if examined properly, it looks like a male earwig because of its curved pincer.

Cheebs

did it look lie this on top of the water?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7t6C-X8G_eQ

To be honest, the pictures make it kind of difficult to tell. I don't see any fuzziness on the tail, just some distortion from water ripples, but I could be wrong.

Greatwhite

Perhaps it is an earwig who was hiding in your hose over the winter and got flushed out...  The 3rd picture looked like a shrimp-like tail -- with a fuzzy pincher in the middle, but after zooming right in, I can see that what I thought was a tail was actually part of the tweezers.

Whatever it is, or was -- hopefully it found itself on a long ride to a watery grave by now.

fischkopp

Folks, once more, and although the pics aren't great, this is not an earwig. It's a damselfly larvae. There is a pic below on how one of them looks like, but they come in all sorts of shapes.

There used to be a thread in the fresh water section a few years back about critters that pop up in aquariums every now and then. Very informative, has a link to an external site as well.

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Nerine

I've posted pics on these guys too :)

won't harm large fish but likes to munch guppy fry!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Greatwhite

Quote from: Nerine on February 04, 2013, 04:24:15 PM
I've posted pics on these guys too :)

won't harm large fish but likes to munch guppy fry!

I watched a video on youtube of one of these going to town on a guppy...  YIKES...   

jo.jacques

Sorry for the late reply everyone! So i can confirm that it was NOT an earwig, but indeed a Damselfly larvae. It looked exactly the same as the above.

I did buy a plant mounted on a piece of wood recently, it might have come from that.

I will let you know if I fins some more. :)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

jo.jacques

blueknight0303

i guess i was wrong. i thought it was just floating in water, but i guess it was actually living underwater.