New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Problem with Nitrite levels

Started by George2, February 24, 2013, 02:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George2

A little over two weeks ago I set up my 16 gallon freshwater aquarium. I picked up 6 Ember Tetras (they're about 1/2" in size) after about a week of cycling it with bacteria in a bottle. On Thursday I picked up two more Ember Tetras. Everything seemed to be fine with the nitrite and ammonia. However, yesterday I checked my water and noticed a huge spike in the Nitrite level. It was off the charts. At the same time, my Ammonia level was 0 or (close to that). How is that possible? I thought bacteria converts ammonia to nitrite. If that is the case, how can I have so much nitrite without any ammonia?

After seeing the high Nitrite level yesterday, I did a 25% water change. This brought the the Nitrite level back to around .25ppm.  Today it is back up to about .50ppm. Should I do another water change? If the nitrite levels keep spiking, should I do a 25% water change every day until the Nitrite levels stay down? Is there any harm in doing too many water changes?

I did add a pre-filter sponge to my AquaClear 20 filter a few days ago to prevent my fish from being sucked up by the filter. That seems to collect floating debris. Could that impact the nitrite level?

bitterman

Nice to see your reading about the cycle, but like most of us that urge to add fish to fast is catching up.

I generally takes about 3-4 weeks to cycle a tank to as long as 6 weeks if things go slow. During this time you need to grow 2 different groups of bacteria.... the ones that convert Ammonia to Nitrite  (These are already working in your tank) and the second group of bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate.

You first stage has gone well. You second stage is either coming slow or stalled. You will need to keep doing water changes to keep your fish outa danger. If the nitrite gets to high it can stall the cycle, too low and it takes longer to grow the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate.

You know your cycle has completed when you have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and your nitrate rising till you do your water changes.

1) Don't add any more fish, the more fish the more waste to go through the cycle
2) Cut feeding down to the bare minimum. Maybe only feed every couple days a small amount. This decreases the load on the system
3) keep up water changes to keep the nitrite from being toxic. Test morning and night... might take 2 water changes per day depending on how well things are doing. If you match the water chemistry and temp of the water you are adding to the tank to the tank parameters you can do larger water changes if need to. I have done 50-75% without issue.

To speed up your cycle you could get some used filter media from a friend. IT will contain all the bacteria you need and speed up the cycle.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby

Bruce

wrm130

Any decomposing organic material will feed your cycle or worsen a spike.

The pre-filter/sponge is a good idea for keeping your fish safe.  You can also use mesh and zipties.

You could try adding some duckweed (usually available for free at you Lfs) that would help with water quality.

Stussi613

Since you already have fish in the tank I would agree with Bruce that your best option would be to get some media from someone with an established tank and keep up with water changes. I'd give you some media, but I'm currently in the middle of adding fish and already cycled media to my main tank and I'm a bit low on cycled media. Can anyone else help George out?
I haz reef tanks.

Shawn84

I only have sponge in my aqua clear I don't actually have any media in it beside that. But I swamp you the sponge. If you like. I live on the west end of town
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

George2

Quote from: bitterman on February 24, 2013, 03:20:33 PM
Nice to see your reading about the cycle, but like most of us that urge to add fish to fast is catching up.

I generally takes about 3-4 weeks to cycle a tank to as long as 6 weeks if things go slow. During this time you need to grow 2 different groups of bacteria.... the ones that convert Ammonia to Nitrite  (These are already working in your tank) and the second group of bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate.

You first stage has gone well. You second stage is either coming slow or stalled. You will need to keep doing water changes to keep your fish outa danger. If the nitrite gets to high it can stall the cycle, too low and it takes longer to grow the bacteria that convert nitrite to nitrate.

You know your cycle has completed when you have zero ammonia, zero nitrite and your nitrate rising till you do your water changes.

1) Don't add any more fish, the more fish the more waste to go through the cycle
2) Cut feeding down to the bare minimum. Maybe only feed every couple days a small amount. This decreases the load on the system
3) keep up water changes to keep the nitrite from being toxic. Test morning and night... might take 2 water changes per day depending on how well things are doing. If you match the water chemistry and temp of the water you are adding to the tank to the tank parameters you can do larger water changes if need to. I have done 50-75% without issue.

To speed up your cycle you could get some used filter media from a friend. IT will contain all the bacteria you need and speed up the cycle.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby

Bruce

Oh, ok. I didn't realize there were two different types of bacteria at work. That explains what is happening.  Thanks for your advice!  :)

charlie

If George is willing to come to the Bank & Hunt Club area , i can give him some ripe filter floss to help.
Regards

George2

Quote from: wrm130 on February 24, 2013, 03:49:55 PM
Any decomposing organic material will feed your cycle or worsen a spike.

The pre-filter/sponge is a good idea for keeping your fish safe.  You can also use mesh and zipties.

You could try adding some duckweed (usually available for free at you Lfs) that would help with water quality.

I'm going to look for a piece of mesh that is only sliightly smaller than the size of my fish so I can maximize the effectiveness of my filter.

I googled duckweed because I didn't know what it was. I actually have a few of those things floating around in my aquarium. I guess they came along with my fish.   :) 

George2

Quote from: Shawn84 on February 24, 2013, 05:53:47 PM
I only have sponge in my aqua clear I don't actually have any media in it beside that. But I swamp you the sponge. If you like. I live on the west end of town

Thanks for the offer. I'll send you a private message. Thanks!  :)

exv152

Like someone else mentioned, you can continue to do large water changes too, this will help save your fish, and you can do 50% or a bit more per day. Prime will also help reduce the toxicity of ammonia & nitrites.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g