New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need water transportation containers

Started by Urbanlamb, January 25, 2014, 07:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urbanlamb

I'm planning on moving my aquarium to my new home this Friday.  But I don't have any containers to move the water.
I'm stumped as to what to use.  Does anyone have any ideas or anything that I can borrow or steal?
Much thanks!

Oh by the way...it's a 55 gallon cichlid setup. ;D

Greatwhite

When I moved, the only thing I could do was get water ready at the destination and have a temporary tank set up there...  I tossed all the old water, and started with the new stuff when I got there.

Otherwise, you'll need 15 or so 5 gallon buckets with tight lids (unless you're a very careful driver).  That'll be about 460 pounds of water to transport...  BUT you can transport your fish in the same buckets.

I've found the buckets from Lowes to be cleanest & strongest.  $4 each...  I think I have 3 or 4, but have since used them for construction (mixing cement / grout / etc),

Good luck with the move.  I hated moving my aquarium.  I went from the basement of my old house but main floor of the new one at least.  A 90G tank with a few inches of water on the bottom and substrate was NOT fun to move.

Stussi613

The last time I moved a freshwater setup I took the fish out and bagged them, then drained the water down as far as I could and covered everything in newspaper that was moist with tank water.  Get some good Saran Wrap and then seal the top as best you can and transport to the new location as quickly as you can.  Once the tank us in place at the new location fill it with water as close to the temperature you plan on running the tank at as you can get, and you can treat it with Prime, or another dechlorinator, on the way into the tank in buckets, or right in the rank if you use a python.  Leave the newsprint in the tank until it's full, that way you won't end up with cloudy water.  As long as the bacteria in the filter and the rocks/substrate don't go for too long without circulation you'll be fine.  There's not really any point in transporting water when you can make brand new water pretty easily and the water column doesn't really carry much beneficial bacteria.

Depending on the weather that day you might want to stop by a local saltwater store, like Aqua Valley (east) or Marinescape (central) or Got Fish? (west) and ask them for one of the boxes they get their fish in with the built in styrofoam coolers in them.  If you don't feed the fish for 24 hours before you bag them you can leave them in bags in one of those boxes with a couple of heater packs for 24 hours without hurting them.
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

I`m inclined to ask why you want to keep all the water?

FocusFin

Quote from: charlie on January 26, 2014, 05:18:11 PM
I`m inclined to ask why you want to keep all the water?

My first thought was "So he doesn't have to mix a bunch of salt water, sheesh Errol", then I caught on lol
110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Urbanlamb

Thanks for the replies.
I did some more googling and humming and hawing.  Spoke to a guy named Merlin at the Innes Rd. Big Al's.  He was a real help.

Here's what I'm going to do, and please say a prayer for me.  :D

I'm moving the fish tomorrow, and then the aquarium the next day.  Reason being because I can't move the aquarium myself (too heavy), so the movers will help me with it.
But I really wanted to move the fish on a separate day when I have more time.
So....I got a giant Rubber Maid tote...it's going to the new place tomorrow.  I will get a bunch of plastic buckets with lids (Thanks Merlin for the tip!!) from Rona. (they're about 5 or 6 bucks each)
Then I will use the tote as a temporary aquarium...move as much of the tank water over to the new place, and hook up the hang on filters and heater and voila!
Merlin also suggested that I just transport the cichlids in the buckets...he said if I used plastic bags, I'd risk having holes poked in them from their sharp fins.

Then the next day, after the movers are done, that afternoon I can switch the fish from the tote to their aquarium.

Thanks again!  I'll come back and let y'all know how it worked out.

sas

Depending on the size of tote you go with you may have to brace the sides.
I used a large tote when I redid my 75g, it was long and narrow something like
5' x 2' I think and once I added water the sides started bowing out.
I ended up raiding hubbies shop and using some 2x4 strapped them on the sides of the tote.

Mike L

As Stuart said moving the water is NOT  needed as most bacteria are not in the water column.

Don't know how many fish you have but 4-5 can be put in the Rona buckets using tank water then lid them. Keep your filter media in the tank water sealed in a zip-lock bag. Bring filter, heater bunch of rocks with you to the new place. fill the tote with new tap water the same temp as the water in the buckets start filter and heater, transfer fish in and add the water you brought. if you brought 3 buckets of water that's about 4 gallon x 3 for 12 if you match that you have just done a 50% water change. The fish are going to need to be acclimated to the different water anyway so might as well start now. Besides depending on how much rockwork you have your tank is likely only holding about 45 gallons of water anyway. Also make sure not to feed the fish a day before until they are settled in. they can go 4 days no problem without food.

I've done moves more times then I wanted and never lost a cichlid using this method.
Mike

Urbanlamb

Heya Mike and sas...thanks!  You're absolutely right...I only figure on transporting about 50% of the water...my main thing is running the filters and the airstone asap, since the fish will be living in that tote ooohhhh...mebbe 36 hours.  I really don't want to start all the filter media over again.
I have 20-25 cichlids...yellow labs and demasoni.  They're pretty much all juvenilles, so please don't knock me about the tank size.  I'm planning to get a huge tank set up in the summer, but want to save for it and get 'er done right.
Thanks sas, for mentioning about the risks of the tote bowing out.  Hadn't thought about that.  Yikes!  But I did make sure to get a super tough one, so I don't think there will be much of an issue there.

sas

No problem, when I had the incident it was pretty hectic. I can laugh about it now but at the
time it was not fun!
I thought the tote I was using was pretty strong too but I totally underestimated the weight
of the water :-[.

Stussi613

Quote from: Urbanlamb on January 30, 2014, 05:49:11 PM
Heya Mike and sas...thanks!  You're absolutely right...I only figure on transporting about 50% of the water...my main thing is running the filters and the airstone asap, since the fish will be living in that tote ooohhhh...mebbe 36 hours.  I really don't want to start all the filter media over again.
I have 20-25 cichlids...yellow labs and demasoni.  They're pretty much all juvenilles, so please don't knock me about the tank size.  I'm planning to get a huge tank set up in the summer, but want to save for it and get 'er done right.
Thanks sas, for mentioning about the risks of the tote bowing out.  Hadn't thought about that.  Yikes!  But I did make sure to get a super tough one, so I don't think there will be much of an issue there.

You'll know it's time to upgrade that tank when you start noticing your demasoni numbers decreasing :(

I had a 3ft tank with the same numbers and mix and I didn't heed the warning signs...

Make sure you keep your rocks in the bin so the fish have hiding spots while you move the tank and you should be fine for 36 hours as long as you don't feed them until you get to the new place.
I haz reef tanks.

Urbanlamb

Which reminds me....
I meant to ask, why does everyone say not to feed them?
Right now they're staring at me, all bunched in one corner of the tank, waiting for nom noms. :-\

Stussi613

Quote from: Urbanlamb on January 30, 2014, 08:45:18 PM
Which reminds me....
I meant to ask, why does everyone say not to feed them?
Right now they're staring at me, all bunched in one corner of the tank, waiting for nom noms. :-\

Food goes in, poop comes out :)

If you don't feed them they don't poop in the water in the bucket and the water quality doesn't go down.
I haz reef tanks.

Urbanlamb

Philnashbass

I got to the point (after a couple of large used aquarium purchases) that I bought the 65 gal blue recycle container on wheels, from Rona. It was $60 and it fits nicely into a van or pick up truck. I have always transported saltwater, so I see the need for keeping water, but I'm not so sure freshwater tanks have as critical a need for retaining the original water.
The 65 gal container is an everyday fixture in my dechlorination system and at over 500 lbs. its moves around very easily-for water changes on my 220 gal. It is is also food grade plastic.
50 gal. CADLights cube with 15 gal. CADlights sump:
CADLights PLS 100 skimmer
AI Vega LED with controller
Ocellaris pair in LTA, Sml. Hippo Tang,  Powder Brown Tang, Favia, Gorgonia, Frog Spawn, Rhodactis, Sun Coral, Open Brain, Colt Coral, Plate Coral

220 gal. with 80 gal. sump:
Vortex IN 280 skimmer
8 Bulb Teklight T5's, Reefbrite actinic
Pair Gold Bar Maroon Clowns (extra lrg. female), Hippo Tang, Lrg. Pink Tail Trigger, Blue Face Angel,  Kole Tang, Humu Humu Trigger,  2 Yellow Tangs...3 RBTA's, Hammer Coral, Torch Coral, Frog Spawn, Leather Coral

Urbanlamb

Yowsa...that's a great idea!
But not too practical for this move...I have a little Cobalt, and there are some stairs involved.
But great to know and to keep in mind for future.
Thanks!
*thumbs up*

Urbanlamb

I wanted to let you know that the move was completley succesful...not one loss.
I set up the tote the night before in the new apartment, with 50% of the tank water, and hooked up both filters, and ran them.
Next day, simple matter of filling up the tank in it's new location.
Hardest part was catching the little scallywags...i was afraid of stressing them too much.
But they're happy and bouncy and all is well.
Thanks again to those who responded with tips/advice. :-*

Stussi613

Quote from: Urbanlamb on February 04, 2014, 06:06:03 PM
I wanted to let you know that the move was completley succesful...not one loss.
I set up the tote the night before in the new apartment, with 50% of the tank water, and hooked up both filters, and ran them.
Next day, simple matter of filling up the tank in it's new location.
Hardest part was catching the little scallywags...i was afraid of stressing them too much.
But they're happy and bouncy and all is well.
Thanks again to those who responded with tips/advice. :-*

Happy to hear it all worked out for you :)
I haz reef tanks.