New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

150 peninsula

Started by salvini55, September 29, 2010, 03:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

salvini55

I told my girlfriend that moving to a new place brings new SOP's, such as but not limited to; a bigger tank (obvs), situated in my own private man cave only acessible via verbal password ie: "stincky socks" or more likely "Acropora Verweyi"  ;D and a beer fridge. She reluctantly obliged and I broke out in to a victory dance similar to as if i had just won the lotto.

excitment aside, here are the details

162 gallon rimless DT (60x24x26) - 75 gallon sump - 33 gallon sump - 55 gallon QT
Custom stand and floating conopy
Tek 6x58w fixture looking to add a retrofit for 8 - 10 bulbs total with RKL moonlights
SRO 3000INT
GHL 4 pump stand alone doser
RKL3
MP-40w
Reeflow HammerHead closed loop (will need insight on creating an effective system)

The tear down and move will commence in one month  :D

Vincenzo.

gangster kev, this shall be Ill-tings..

Severum

I believe this annoucement calls for a rap of some sort.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

holachicka

oh wow - this is great - a new kick butt tank build thread!! Bring on the pics as you work on it!! Lookin' forward to the updates!

omarh

*cough cough* mic check yo.........turntable scratch....ye and you don't stop i got a 187 in the @#$@#$ block yeee and you don't stop you got S to 55 in the house. You fishes mad cause i'm acccing....stunt soo hoood my tank will dominate yours. I build it ground up you bought it renovated!! Hammerhead closed loop dawg watchasayin. Reefkeeper lite got my tank feelin good.... Don't mess with my Tek10 or imma pull out my MAC10!!

how was that??? (borrowed some ideas from Rick Ross lol)

magnosis

;D I'M LAUGHING OUT SO EFFIN LOUD RIGHT NOW !  ;D

I'm really curious to see that peninsula idea take shape ! Keep us posted, yah ?!

salvini55

hahha  ;D awsome. Im suprised Vince didnt hit it, he just quit it  ;)

Hookup

Well geesh there fellas ... Sounds like a mighty fine tab ya got planned there

salvini55

yep yip, lots of work to do tomorow gotta tear down the 75 and put it all in rubbermaids. Rebuild the stand and canopy, drill the tank set up the plumbing and cook the remaining 50lbs of liverock.

decided what type of overflow ill rock, same steez as Pat rocks in his half moon. Im sure some others use it aswell.

for the closed loop I think I will do two 1.5 inch inputs with flat screens from PVCfitings and four 3/4 inch returns? I need to research more on closed loops to get the most out of my pump

salvini55

for Vafa/steve  ;)

My Mp40 make you duck
got a hammer head causing rukk
you in luck
my trigga' finga stuck
you wish you illa
u just a RO bucket filla
i spent my scrilla
on corals n' fish for rilla
my acropora lovin the flow
allthough they hate the yo-yo
u gotta give em what they need to grow
for sho'

omarh

OUF OUF OUF Salvini's heavy rhymes got your SG sky rocketing

salvini55

one of my stars turned into a fish!

Vincenzo.

a closed looped system,
got you on a mission,
on the peninsula, have u fishin'
for ideas, --- but no luck
vince made a leprechaun duck
with out a Swan, -Dive, air bags in the truck
scope, aim, -head, shot the buck.
but it aint hunting season,
got you all for the wrong reason

treason,
treason,
treason,

salvini55

Vincenzo.

Quote from: Vince. on October 01, 2010, 12:06:15 AM
a closed looped system,
got you on a mission,
on the peninsula, have u fishin'
for ideas, --- but no luck
vince made a leprechaun duck
with out a Swan, -Dive, air bags in the truck
scope, aim, -head, shot the buck.
but it aint hunting season,
got you all for the wrong reason

treason,
treason,
treason,

^ i do not remember typing this after several cocktails.

salvini55

sure sure  ;D

Ive got my rubbermaids all set up ready to go, so the tank is coming down tonight.

the stand for the 187 at the other place will be built next week and if everything goes as planned water will be in that tank.

On that note, does anyone have drill bits to drill the tank? I need two sizes  2 1/2"  and  1 3/4" . Overflows and CL inputs will be 1.5" and all returns will be 3/4".

So Im looking at drilling 9 holes on only one side of the tank on a 24"x30" sheet of glass.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Hookup

This will be bad ass man!!   8)8)

salvini55

indeed  ;D. im getting very excited trying to pull everything together at the last minute. i still need some fittings, i am going to try boone plumbing or pvcplus tomorow

salvini55

got the drilling done.... 9 holes at 20mins a hole, 180 mins of straight drilling is hard work. Anyhow enough crying, big thanks to HomerJ for the drill bits comming through in the clutch  ;)

without further procrastination, I give you the Dirty Beast...

salvini55

Hopein to get the stand and plumbing done next thursday ish' here is the "planned" acuascape a cliff type reef face with a forrest of zenia shaded by four Tonga branches with SPS "trees" capped with a tube anemone on a hill  ;D

will it turn out this way...its fun to dream

Hookup

that last photo is killer...  8)

Severum

Based on your rendition are you not planning to have any fish in your tank? If you are please include several figure 8 fish drawings. Thank you.  :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

10 4

Vincenzo.

Severum

Amazing! I see 2 schools of chromis, a royal gramma, 2 clownfish, a naso tang, a flame angel and an unidentified one.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Im afraid there has been some false advertising, I measured the tank hieght realising I hadn't yet and its 26" not 30". I guess I just took the guys word for it and never checked for myself... so its actually 162 gallons  ;D which is good news for me because I was worried I would have to upgrade my lighting system which I dont wanna do.

And I can get the SRO 3000int instead of the 5000int and save $100. Cant wait to see that buble blaster in action ;) Im sure the wife will be happy about that aswell as the savings in salt.

Now I just have to convince her that a sohol tang only costs $40 if you buy an achillies tang for $50

salvini55

going on no sleep and the apartment looks like a war zone but the reef is down and in rubbermaids. Only a few burrowing snails didnt make the transfer. Rock is cooking but there is alot of tuff algae on it, I think its a variant of bubble algae, so it will take a few weeks to cook. Loading up the stand and taking it to the east end today after some sleep where all the wood is cut to size ready to be put together. Im hopeing to get most if not all the plumbing done on the new tank today but i doubt it will go as planned.

Still have to get the skimmer, I hear its arrived but havent had the time to pick it up yet. Still need some other odds and ends like sand, carbon, GFO, nutrient reducing pellets and TLF reactor. The list prolly goes on but my brain is mush right now  ;D

I got some photos and will take more later today and if I have any energy left I will try and post them tonight.

salvini55

Im at a loss for words right now but im back at square one. Long story short the tank was dropped. The guy that was helping me lift it onto the stand dropped it when his hand got cut on the edge of the glass. On top of that when I left the house i had a parking ticket on my car. Looks like I may end up getting that miracles after all.

On the bright side, the stand is done
some pics

ordi260

Oh nooo!!!  Bummer  :o
So sorry this happenned...i can't imagine that happenning to me  :-\

Such a nice start!

Keep up the good work tho!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

salvini55

thats how the cookie crumbles

Hookup

Very sorry man...  That is no fun at all!  Hop no one was seriously hurt

HomerJ

Noooooooooooooooo!  Sorry to hear that...  :-(  I guess you'll be keeping my drill bits a little bit longer?  :-S  No rush, really.

Tomorrow is a new day...

salvini55

Quote from: HomerJ on October 23, 2010, 11:56:34 PM
Noooooooooooooooo!  Sorry to hear that...  :-(  I guess you'll be keeping my drill bits a little bit longer?  :-S  No rush, really.

Tomorrow is a new day...

haha that is what i was just thinking... Im gonna need to drill another tank if thats fine with you.

The cut wasnt too bad, ugly, but not too deep. It could have been worse. There was only 3 feet left to go in order to get it on the stand, soooooooooo close!  ::)

White Lightning

That sucks Kev sorry to hear about the luck. Why did you get a parking ticket?

salvini55

I parked beside the "no parking past this point" sign  ::)

JetJumper

Sorry to hear that.... That was my dreaded thoughts moving my tall cube yesterday as well. 

How many panels are not broken?  Is it just the backside and bottom broke?  Picture is a little hard to make out.
Then again I don't know if you would want to trust the rest of the pieces after having stress like that put on them.

Hope your buddy is okay!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

HomerJ

Quote from: salvini55 on October 24, 2010, 12:11:27 AM
haha that is what i was just thinking... Im gonna need to drill another tank if thats fine with you.

Totally.  Keep them for as long as you need them.

salvini55

Quote from: HomerJ on October 24, 2010, 10:50:37 AM
Totally.  Keep them for as long as you need them.

you are the man

Quote from: JetJumper on October 24, 2010, 10:27:42 AM
Sorry to hear that.... That was my dreaded thoughts moving my tall cube yesterday as well. 

How many panels are not broken?  Is it just the backside and bottom broke?  Picture is a little hard to make out.
Then again I don't know if you would want to trust the rest of the pieces after having stress like that put on them.

Hope your buddy is okay!

yep just the bottom pane as well as the pane that was drilled. crummy cell phone pic. I dont have the balls to rebuild this tank, Im gonna use the two 5 foot panels to make table tops for a bar in our new home when its built.

Severum

I'm sorry to see that happen. So much work put in so far only have it break like that.Keep your head up!
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

Saltcreep

Quote from: salvini55 on October 24, 2010, 01:07:19 PM
you are the man

yep just the bottom pane as well as the pane that was drilled. crummy cell phone pic. I dont have the balls to rebuild this tank, Im gonna use the two 5 foot panels to make table tops for a bar in our new home when its built.

Have you considered a plywood bottom and end panel?  Lots of info online and esay to drill.

salvini55

Quote from: Saltcreep on October 25, 2010, 04:51:53 PM
Have you considered a plywood bottom and end panel?  Lots of info online and esay to drill.

ah, not my cup of tea. I like a cleaner look. Im considering acrylic now, easy to drill, clearer than regular glass, lighter than glass, stronger bond than glass and I can easily put an external overflow on it to keep the clean look. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE starfire glass tanks but cant swallow the thought of smashing a tank like tank right now.

redbelly

Dont forget that it also scratches WAY easier than glass too.

I have had a couple acrylic tanks and I will never have one again. IMO they take a fair amount more work to clean off the encrusting algae and you cant clean them with a razor blade.
One of my old displays was an acrylic tank that I purchased used. It scratched a bit and because the acrylic was so hard it took 80 hours to buff the tank perfect!
Then one day a customers child tried to help out and clean the glass with the mag float and ran over one of those little snails and made one heck of a mess of the pane of glass....
Needless to say I didnt bother buffing it out.
And besides that, I always found it to be a pain to clean.

salvini55

thats my worst fear of an acrylic tank  :-\

salvini55

Well i bit the bullet and bought a 150 gallon tank from all glass. It's nothing fancy but it will do for now. Our new house is now scheduled for this may again as oppose to next October so this build will only be up for 8 months. So i won't be "filling" the tank with corals just yet, probably only 4 or 5 colonies of sps for now and a bunch of zenia for our kitchen displays.

The tank is scheduled to arrive Thursday

salvini55

I fought long and hard but now the tank is up and running, still need another rock but otherwise its complete. It actually came close to the rendering in terms of rockwork.  ;D My clam did not make the move, it past last week  :'( I think it may have gotten some air in it while in the rummermaid holding bin... The tank looks sooo empty lol Ive got some crummy cell phone pics ill put up but youll have to wait for the higher megapixle camera  :P

salvini55

here it is, still need to set up the doser as well. The skimmer stripped the tank in one day!! Lost the foam head tonight.

Hookup

That puts the awe in awesome!

JetJumper

salvini55

thanks guys, everything is happy and healthy.

Severum

Nice work.

Hows the closed loop working for ya?
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

salvini55

The tank is running very well so far. The new SRO xp3000 is simply mind blasting lol. I have a few more cell phone pics to put up. I got the rockscape done bought the biggest rock I could find and its spectacular! The pics dont do the tank justice, the real camera is still in a box somewhere... I also picked up a tube anemone after seeing JD's last winter I just had to have one  ;D I managed to get a decent pic of it somehow with my phone.

White Lightning

Looking sharp Kev. What do you plan on keeping in there? A bunch of damsels perhaps? :D

salvini55

thanks Randy, no the only damsels will be the clowns. snagged a bellus angel today and a chalice frag

White Lightning

Right on! I have to stop reading these tank builds. It's already making me want to upgrade. I'll have to wait for at least six months before I mention that to the boss otherwise she will think I am crazy.

Are you planning on adding more liverock?

JD

Your tank is looking great. I have been thinking about redoing my aquascape with the less is more theme.
Seeing yours makes me think harder...ouch, wait not that hard!!!
Good job.

salvini55

thanks Jeff, Ive always been a fan of minimalist rockwork. On that note this is prolly it for rocks.

The bellus and tang are bestest of friends, they are inseparable lol. shes a beauty

Vincenzo.

Severum

Nice looking fish. If only I had been able to come in and see them.  :'(
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

I know, another time i suppose and i just changed my subtrate to diamonds i could have given you a hndfull to seed your new tank...  :P

salvini55

tank is growing very well, params are stable (thanks GHL) and coraline is taking off like wildfire. I got four new SPS frags to test out the waters, orange monti digita, pokerstar monti, blue acro and purple pocilopora. After a day in the tank the orange digita has shot up 10 or so new branches from its base!!!! something made it crazy happy. Pokerstar is encrusting slightly and the pocilopora is starting to melt down the sides of its plug. I have 4 new eyes on my chalice frag, 40 new zoa polyps and my open brain has almost completly healed over its algea spots and is eating again!!!! sweet. I also picked up a female lepoard wrasse and two dragonface pipefish they are soooooo cool and look spectacular, already picking at copepods and i just got them today. Im a happy dude  ;D

salvini55

couple crummy cell pics for now

salvini55

by the looks of things the pipefish may be a pair! fingers crossed

Severum

Thats sweet. I didn't think pipefish would well with fast swimmers but they sound like they're enjoying themselves in your tank!
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

just a quick photo update, im getting some really good growth, fastest ive personally witnesses in my tanks.

Hookup

Some great looking pieces you have...  How about a FTS?

salvini55

what, the first one wasnt good enough?

Severum

OHHHHHHHHHHH those frags are the shiznit! I can tell you've visted Az.

When then grow out I would very much love to swap with ya! ;)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

haha someones gotta keen eye. U must be the B*****d that keeps jaking my gold acro frags  >:( you know im down for tradezies. Im going to want someone to have frags of the corals so that if i lose any during the move i will have a chance to get them back  ;D

salvini55

Hookup

nice!  imagine 300days!!!

RoxyDog

Very nice!  I am experiencing big tank envy... 
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

salvini55

Thanks! Im very proud of this system. I dont have 300 days!!!!!! only 157 untill It gets torn down, so according to my calculations it should be 52 times the size by then LOL

Severum

Quote from: salvini55 on January 08, 2011, 02:12:33 PM
to my calculations it should be 52 times the size by then LOL

If your math is right my blue tang should be the size of a blue whale by now. :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

JD

And my lobster ready for boiling water...jk  :o

salvini55

Quote from: Severum on January 08, 2011, 04:17:02 PM
If your math is right my blue tang should be the size of a blue whale by now. :)

too bad you only upgraded to a 125 gallon  :P

Quote from: JD on January 08, 2011, 04:46:58 PM
And my lobster ready for boiling water...jk  :o

ok my bibs on, waiting for the bell

az

love the rockwork, you could use some yellow, maybe a yellow tang or bartlett anthias.
AQUA VALLEY    
1158 Ogilvie Road, Ottawa

2016 Hours
Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri >> 12-7pm
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532  
www.aquavalley.ca

Ottawa's BIGGEST SALTWATER Selection

Tel: 613 695 6961 Fax: 613 695 6532     www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

how about a massive one foot by one foot wild vivid yellow table acro with pink polyps for 29.99?

az

looking good, I have 1 gold polyp acro waiting for you.
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

Dah Im comming right now!!!!!! why do you do this to me!

az

AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

oh ya, the polyps look more green in my tank almost like a garf bonsai

az

so i should have charged you more??

:)
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

Hookup

Quote from: salvini55 on January 19, 2011, 06:22:30 PM
suckker  :P

LOL!  Sounds like special prices for you next time...  Like 2x cost smart ass fee....

salvini55

LOL  ;D im expecting the egg management fee

Hookup

Quote from: salvini55 on January 19, 2011, 09:44:26 PM
LOL  ;D im expecting the egg management fee

Pure awesome...  You are a king!   ;D

az

AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

Oh for crying out loud! It was hard enough carrying supplies outta home depo without a bag, but frags and fish!!!! Next time I come to the store im bringing the blue reusable grocery bags.  8)

salvini55

cruise control is now on  8)

salvini55

Just wanted to talk a little about using Biopellets.

I am now in week three of using them on my tank. I have 500ml in a TLF 150 on an Ocean Runner 2500. My thoughts are, half the recommended dose for 200 net gallons and high flow through the reactor / controlled output via dosing pump would be the most ideal method. Essentialy making the reactor a closed loop and tap the reactor with a dosing pump. That way you are not limited to the reactors flow controlling the ouput of the effluent. I had an interesting idea the other day, after reading that azoo corals feed on phytoplankton trapped in bacteria film, about dosing the biopellet reactor with a phyto reactor to try and replicate that feeding habbit in the aquarium. I wonder also if adding the "skimmer friendly" food with co-polymers that trigger feeding response would increase the chance of corals eating the bacteria film? Assuming these foods adhear to the bacteria. I know they are working as a food source for sponges since I now have these beautifull yellow filter feeding sponges popping up everywhere. Im still in debate if they are in fact the generic white "cream" ones you typically find in your sump, changing color to yellow or a different sponge all together. I have had nothing but positive results so far. Diatoms have become noticably less visual on the sand bed in particular. I have not done a waterchange in three weeks to allow the bac cultures to settle in, tomorow I plan on changing 30 gallons. My nitrates have been steady at 2.5ppm (sailfert) and PO4 undetectable (Elos) but i dont believe it as the bubble "branch" algae is hloding strong. Id like to hear what everybody thinks about them wether you use them or not.

salvini55

just wanted to report I've noticed an impressive wave of growth in the last two days. recent addition of biopelets and changing the flow pattern on the mp40 from lagoon to reefcrest are all ive changed. Another positive to enjoy  :o

salvini55

sadly, one of the dragonface pipe fish has passed away at some point last night...  :'(

Also, the ornate lepoard wrasse is picking on the smaller lepoard wrasse so bad that two days in a row now it has made the journey to the first chamber of my sump where i have decided to leave her for now. *sigh*

Severum

Sorry to hear about that. You'd think in a tank so big those two wrasses would get along.

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

I have great news and bad news to share. The bad news is I somehow managed to introduce red bugs into my tank. I notice them on one of my acros tonight. I promptly removed the coral and dipped it in coralRX. During my examination I believe only one coral had the red bugs on it, I sure hope im right. After treatment there seemed to be about 30-40 red bugs in the tupperware. It took approx 45 mins for all the red bugs to die, some much quicker. There seem to be only a couple left on the acro that are not moving but a second treatment will have to be done tomorow.

The great news wich i am most excited about is that i got to witness AND get a video of my trochus snail spawning together!!!!!!! Im over the moon about this one as these are all captive breed snails from my previous tank producing the third generation of snails. This is the first time in over a year that they have spawned. I have a much better understanding of the spawning process now and why the trochus is so successful at sustaining new populations compared to egg laying snails such as nassarious and cerith. The sheer number of larva in the water column is outstanding compared to the few thousand eggs a nassarious snail lays on the glass. Getting to watch the females release batch after batch of larva or eggs and the males releasing sperm was quite the satisfying sight. Ill upload the vid soon so everyone can watch!!!!

salvini55

heres the vid, my SD card maxed out just as the male released his sperm. In the vid we start watching the male then move to the female releasing eggs or larva and back to the male releasing sperm. Other snails were releasing sperm but I did not see any others releasing eggs. every speck in the water is an egg. Enjoy

edit; click the image to watch

JetJumper

This is too Pornographic for my eyes!!!!!!!

salvini55

LOL ya i should make a dislamer:

WARNING: I SAY SPERM LIKE A WIERDO! SEXUALLY EXPLICIT CONTENT. PARENTAL SUPERVISION IS SUGGESTED.

Severum

LOL, you were very encouraging with that first guy. He caught on soon enough.

It may also have helped to play some Barry White.

BTW, I still have some snails left from one of your previous snail sessions.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

LOL "you can do it!" I dont know why but my snails are frisky

az

AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

JetJumper

salvini55

ah thanks for clearing that up for me  ;)

salvini55

Found my aurora goby on the floor this morn!!!!!!!  >:( dang jumping fish

holachicka

Sorry to hear about your fish :(

Severum

Same thing happened to me a couple weeks ago! Damn fish lasted only 2 days!  :'(

I'm putting them in the same category as blue spot jawfish!  >:(
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

az

cover your tank guys all fish can jump, when the auroras are adult size they are strong and can jump high.

at the store we never covered our tanks until a male crosshatch trigger jumped, we cover everything since and no more jumpers.
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

Im going to have to now. I guess Ill be stopping at lowes on the way home from work tomorow

salvini55

these are the best shots I could get with my Olympus point and shoot....  enjoy

CanadaReef

Those are very good pics :)

salvini55

ya, not too bad for a crumb bum camera

Brent Shaver

Nice shots but have to say the seahorse is my favorite.

laffy

Isn't it a dragon face pipefish?

salvini55

yes it is! It belons to the seahorse family though  ;D

salvini55

ive spotted two baby trochus last night!!!!!!!!!!  ;D

I think I hear Vafa starting his car...

Severum

You've moved so many times I don't know where you live anymore! I'll be driving around aimlessly straining to hear some guy saying sperm like a weirdo! :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

salvini55

I managed to kill everything during the move. I figured a heater would be fine without a controller for 7 hours... Oh how I was wrong >:(

here is the new scape

Cheebs

Nice!!

I'm really sorry to hear about everything you lost though, that was a beautiful tank :(

dan2x38

Sorry dude that's terrible! If you want can give ya a couple frags of something or other to get ya up and going: monti digta (sp) might even have a head of green torch could pull out some heads of green neon mushroom if you are into softies at all... & some zoa heads... it's something?

OH I did something similar with a heater but after 1.5 hrs I was back at the new place and decided I better check the temp was souring so I was able to catch it to avert disaster... no skill I was lucky.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Severum

I'm sorry to hear about your tank. I will really miss your trochus snails. And your documentary videos about them.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Thanks phil, vafa I know, its going to be tough for me aswell. when the ones I gave you reproduce, im first on the list.

Dan thank you for your generocity, I will let you keep the corals, maybe hold some kind of contest to win them...  :) Im going to be very selective of the corals this time around. thanks again though, much appreciated

Hookup

Quote from: salvini55 on August 17, 2011, 05:13:47 AM
Im going to be very selective of the corals this time around. thanks again though, much appreciated

i like this... :)

space is so very limited... even in relatively large aquariums... it fills up fast...

Severum

Yo Kev, I may still have a couple of your snails in my sump. You're welcome to them. They aren't reproducing in my tank but maybe once back in yours...
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

you know buddy, I dont think I could pass that up! are you sure? because I will take you up on that when im ready to go  8)

Severum

Yo got it. I saw one in my sump this morning. There may be more.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

dan2x38

Look forward to the updated pictures. I hear ya about coral space. My system is now over 1.5 yrs and I've stopped buying new corals until things fill out more to see where I'm going next with the aquascaping.

Post a link to these snails like to see them?
Voltaire:

salvini55

I am also looking forward to updated pics  ;D other than some modifications to the sump room, not much has changed..

As for the Trochus snails, check out a couple pages back (page 5 i believe) post #98 and there is a vid of them spawning, please disregard the commentary, it gets very lonely in that basement....

salvini55

Just realised I havent uploaded any sump pics on this forum. These are pics of the room with updated lighting. Its a little messy but still a work in progress

and this guy is doing everything he can to slow me down

This guy isnt helping much either

Looks like im sitting on the floor again...  >:(

Cheebs

A little messy? Heck it's cleaner than my display tank room! Very nice setup, and the pups are super cute ;)

dan2x38

Kev I tired to figure out what your plumbing line in the 2nd photo far left going up the highest is for. It is a 1" line on your closed loop Teeing off - is it a drain? Went through the entire thread again but couldn't wrap my brain around it?
Voltaire:

salvini55

Thanks phil, mainly the table top is messy.

Dan that is a drain line going off the CL for water changes. It takes me 30 seconds to do a WC!!! sweeeet. the pipe wraps around the room to the sink on the otherside. It is 3/4 inch, only two diameters of pipe, 3/4 and 1 1/2. The only thing I want to change is where the ball valve is on that return line. It is under the tee off and i need it above to get max flow for the drain.

Hookup

Very organized and clean... Nice setup..   

Great Dogs!

dan2x38

Yes very clean like the setup. I figured that had to be a drain great idea! can't wait to see the final product this time.

Another question the water drains from the display through the input closed loop closest to that drain line? You stuck off the ball value below that Tee I guess?
Voltaire:

salvini55

Thanks Tim

Dan, the drain is fed by the closed loop input(s). both inputs connect to a common line. I have an idea to resolve my problem. I can unscrew the unions and "flip" the section upside down. The only problem that would create would be the ball valve that controls the output on that line would be facing the tank. Not a big deal though.

Good news, $600 surplus from over-budgeting!!!!! CUC here I come!

salvini55

Quote from: salvini55 on January 04, 2011, 04:31:45 PM
Im going to want someone to have frags of the corals so that if i lose any during the move i will have a chance to get them back  ;D

Just something that caught my eye while going over the thread..... I need to start listening to myself

salvini55

There is an explosion of bryopsis! Its pretty impressive how fast it can spread. looks like ill be getting a sea hare again, worked well the first time. On the plus side I get to see the flow patterns for coral placement aswell as how the tank will be shaded once corals grow. Ill have to post a pic to show yall how crazy it has gotten!!!

salvini55

LMAO, its gonna take awile...

JetJumper

eek!  that looks like my other tank before I tore it all down!!!  Good luck on it!

salvini55

dan2x38

Voltaire:

salvini55

My thoughts were the nutrients from the live sand i used that was prolly not so live anymore (only about 10 cups the rest was new). There must have been some spores or rhizomes/roots (spelling?) from the refugium.

The sea hare I got just kicked the bucket, lived for two days... wierd, he seemed to be in a weak state when i purchased him though.

az

I think you should add some hermits, actually lots of hermits, your old tank had hermits and it looked nice and clean, throw in lots of hermit and pull out as much of the algae you can so they can clean out the base and you will have no algae in 1+ wk. just snails and no hermits as you planned this time may not work perfectly..

AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

hermits cant help my situation, The bryopsis grows way to fast for them to have a chance. some of the strands are 10 inches +. I feel the 8 I have are enough to fulfill the scavenging needs of the tank. I may add some more hermits down the line but not to control algae.

Ive been using a vinyl tube with a razor blade wrapped around it, to syphon and cut. It works but not as I hoped. (too much wasted water compared to algae harvested) Idont want to reuse the water as it will contain bits of algae that will just re-populate the tank. I think i'll just use scizzors while i syphon.

As long as the visit to the vet goes well this afternoon (to get Gunner checked out, he is very sick ATM) I will be going commando on it tonight or tomorrow.

(Insert "KARATE sound" here.) whootah.. I suppose

xiaan

Any Tangs in your tank? I find that my Sail-fin Tang eats the stuff like crazy. I currently have an outbreak in my frag tank and I if I put any frag plug that is covered in algae he mows it down within a hour.

Cheebs

Yeah I'd bet a nice big yellow tang would give this stuff a run for it's money, with a little manual help.

salvini55

HAHAH you guys see right through me! Yellow tang was the suprise for tomorow! tonight is pay day woot

salvini55

Ended up getting a sailfin tang from AZ. He has already gotten straight to work so he can stay  8)

here is the updated fish list

Anthias Hookup x 3  ;)
Sailfin Tang
bellus angel
longspine cardinals x 8
firefish
royal gramma
rainfords goby

NjOyRiD

did you raise your magnesium to 1800ppm?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

salvini55

Nope, I havent tried the Kent Tech-M treatment yet. Once I start running out of options, I will branch out to new techniques

NjOyRiD

i had the problem too, a big one, mixed of bryopsis and hair algea
heres the proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwaTjL6um1U

putting my magnesium to 1800ppm got rid of bryspsis in a week.

then it looked liek this when i was done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW1ckMCH_Fs
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

JetJumper

Quote from: NjOyRiD on September 23, 2011, 06:39:21 PM
heres the proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwaTjL6um1U

then it looked liek this when i was done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW1ckMCH_Fs

LOL.. how come you tried to say its a 400Gallon in the first video :P

NjOyRiD

thats what I had in total volume before, and then changed one refugium to a equipment tank isntead (smaller tank)
370g System

salvini55

Quote from: NjOyRiD on September 23, 2011, 06:39:21 PM

Did you use Kent Tech-M?

NjOyRiD

yes
and you can only raise 100 ppm per day, its very important
370g System

salvini55

NjOyRiD

geez you are good with photoshop hahahaha
370g System

NjOyRiD

370g System

Medym

salvini55

building brick by brick bare hand in the trenches. Siphone tube and scizzors = back pains

Trust me you would know if I used photoshop lol! It would look more like this

Severum

Well at least its not a giant xanthid crab killing a poor innocent Sasquatch.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

LMFAO. Poor Poor sasquatch

salvini55

well it looks as though the bryopsis has withstood the kent treatment, bummer. Ive done a bit more research and discovered I have Bryopsis Penata wich according to some others is resistant to the treatment, wish I knew that before dropping ~$100 on Kent products. However I found a couple success storys using hypersalinity and suddenly a light bulb went off! My first tank, a 75 gallon, had the same algae bloom in its infancy. I was a noob then and didnt know the type of algae it was, untill now. I bought a sea hare for that tank and after a couple weeks the algae was %100 gone. I sold that sea hare to a man who e-mailed me the day after he bought it saying "Hey, FYI your salinity is at 1.030" (I use to calibrate my refracto with RODI water) I just put two and two together. It explaines where the bryopsis came from, I use rock from that setup in my current tank, and potentially how to rid the tank of this beast. SO, I have added to my arsenal and went out and picked up new bulbs for my T5, a sea hare, purple sea urchin, foxface rabbit fish (my heart is racing cuz after I put it in my tank, one of his eyes got cloudy and looks like a few ich spots), 10 varrious hermits and 10 trochus snails. The closed loop is now shut down for the sea hare and because last night I lost 2 more longspine cardinals. One to the CL and one got into my sump and sucked into my skimmer ARGH! Im praying that this works as im getting fed up with this vial plague. If this doesnt work its a toss up between starting over or Algae fix ect... Fingers crossed!

salvini55

It pays to take photos! Just combed over the old pics and found one with the Bryopsis. Confirmed same algae.

Old tank

Current tank

HomerJ

Looks like what I have in my tank too... :-(

Let us know how it goes, I hate that green stuff!

salvini55

new strainers for the closed loop! ~1000 holes drilled! Im replacing the 2" caps with 4" end caps drilled with larger holes and more overall. Its funny how a wise $5 DIY can save you hundreds of dollars.

HomerJ

How does the strainer attach to the beer can?

salvini55

I hold the strainer in my right hand and the beer in my left  ;)

salvini55

w00t! 1000'th post is a good one!

I dont want to jump the gun but the hypersalinity seems to have killed off the bryopsis penata and fast i might add. Wish yall could see the smile on my face  :P

az

goooooood, I should prep that straberry shortcake then!
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

Oh yes!!!^^^^^^  :)  :)  :)  :)

salvini55

salvini55

a little closer to salvation!  :)

Cheebs

Now that's what I'm talking about Looks awesome so far!

salvini55

thanks phil I bet the shroom tank is looking pretty good now too!

Cheebs

It is! It's been someone tricky as it seems that every different type of yuma likes specific conditions, so it's tricky finding the right flow, light etc for optimal growth. So far so good though, I'll post an update of my tanks soon :)

HomerJ

Quote from: salvini55 on November 10, 2011, 02:37:18 PM
I dont want to jump the gun but the hypersalinity seems to have killed off the bryopsis penata and fast i might add. Wish yall could see the smile on my face  :P

What SG did you raise to?  Did you have to take anything out of the tank when doing so?

salvini55

I raised the salinity to 1.028 and the briopsis died in a matter of 3-4 days. Everything did well in the tank, shrimp, crabs, clam, fish and coral all did great. I am back down to 1.025 now because my ATO failed and ~30gallons of RO got pumped into the tank (and on the floor). I siphoned out as much of the dead algae as i could and the Foxface and crabs did the rest.

List of a few species that ate the bryopsis penata;

foxface rabbitfish
yellow tang
rainfords goby
hermit crabs
sea hare
fighting conch (only once algae was dead)
trochus snails (only once algae was dead)

kole18

I'd never had problem with hair algeas it took me a month half to recycle my tank before adding corals weird as well didn't add any additives all I know just those green slimy algeas spreading so fast all over my LR's I know those causes of phosphate. I've got my powder blue that time anyway ever since I gave up him due that it's seems getting bigger everyday, I've got this tiny at mscape his been my 40g I miss this fish. What I have problem now is red cyano my green stag only 2 branches left still fighting to recover & took off my bio-pellets seems this causes of some acro my tank loosing color back to normal Gfo & as well back to t5 again corals like this light specially my deep water acro

Rybren

Those corals are looking good! The pics aren't so bad either  ;D
120G Reef

salvini55

Thanks Jerry, Its amazing what a cheap point and shoot camera can do these days  :)

kole18

Those r mscape frag right nice.

salvini55

sas

You guys really need to stop posting such nice pics, you're
making it awfully tempting to venture down the salt road.
Good thing I'm broke, otherwise I can see getting into
trouble.

salvini55

I understand but im afraid that is impossible  8)

Hookup

Friggn nice frags there.  Where'd you get them?

salvini55

SPS are from FT and MS. LPS and clam are from AZ

Medym

Hmmm, looks good, but I see an awesome spot for a little gsp (ahem, not GPS)....

JetJumper

Quote from: Medym on November 29, 2011, 09:45:30 AM
Hmmm, looks good, but I see an awesome spot for a little gps....

GPS on the fish? :D  You can follow them on twitter then!  And Poke them on facebook, and .... ugh!  Mind.. exploding!

Medym

Quote from: JetJumper on November 29, 2011, 12:20:15 PM
GPS on the fish? :D  You can follow them on twitter then!  And Poke them on facebook, and .... ugh!  Mind.. exploding!

Well played sir... well played.

salvini55

good idea, map the gps location of the fish to see how fast my tang swims for one side to the next in my tank

JetJumper

We could have fish races!  Wouldn't that be cool?  haha!!  Who has the fastest SW fish in Ottawa.  You will win a prize ;)

salvini55

I bet I have the fastest hermit lol. White claw hermits are zipidy quick

JetJumper

Is that a cat on top of the tank?  lol.

Love the frogspawn in the rock.

Hookup

Wicked!!  Outstanding!!  Fanutastical! 

az

nice...

seafans look happy!
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

thanks everyone! Ya jet that is one of my cats on top of the tank. It gets nice and toasty on top there.

Rybren

Nice looking setup and great pics.

What type of wrasse is that?
120G Reef

salvini55

Thanks! I try my best  ;D  It is a red velvet fairy wrasse with good genetics  :)

Rybren

Thanks. It's a great-looking fish.
120G Reef

Coral beauty

JD

Great looking tank! Keep up the good work. :)

az

kev you should glue some zoo/gsp on the lower part of the tonga branch rock, I know you dont want them just like you didnt want hermits at one time but it will be good for you. I gurantee it!!
AQUA VALLEY    

2016 Hours
Sat, Sun >> 11-5pm
Mon >> CLOSED
www.aquavalley.ca

salvini55

haha, Man ur killing me lol. Yes I have hermits now aswell as clowns too! I was actually planning on putting some zoos down there but GSP... No frickin way! I dont even think I would make that mistake if I was shopping drunk lol

Medym

Quote from: salvini55 on December 31, 2011, 12:37:54 PM
haha, Man ur killing me lol. Yes I have hermits now aswell as clowns too! I was actually planning on putting some zoos down there but GSP... No frickin way! I dont even think I would make that mistake if I was shopping drunk lol

I will drop some GSP by later :p

Cheebs

Amazing tank! The gorgonians are my favorite by far :)

salvini55

thanks everyone! much appreciated.

Phil, Im still looking for an updated FTS!!! I bet that shroom tank is lookin sweet!

Darth

love the stools in the front of the tank! best seats in the house

salvini55

salvini55

salvini55

Thanks Tim, That guy is just starting to "bud"

salvini55

Whoa! I got the greatest surprise in the sump today! The trochus snails have spawned again! I cant believe it, I dont have a video this time but I have a pic of one of the babies I found. This is the third time and it appears to be a black foot or even a mix of regular and black foot... So exciting!

Severum

I gotta start dosing viagra to my tank like you.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Ha!I asked my doctor and he suggested I switch to cialis

kole18

Where did you buy frags really nice , that granulusa & lemonade acro I'd like to get one of those . I've got full colony of this granulusa sort of brown purple tip mine, I guess hasn't been colored up yet. But I gotta wait & here's my cony of ice blue green deep water acro.

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h461/Pete_1809/?action=view&current=131.jpg&mediafilter=noflash

dakrazyone

i'm with kole, really nice acros

salvini55

That looks like a nice Lokani you have there.

thanks guys, I picked these up off a reefer in Toronto. I wish we had stuff like this in our shops here.

kole18

What's a name of store, Im going TO next month probably pass by at this store pick up some frags as well. Yes I've got mine from fishtail a few months ago the color it change a bit blue green under 14k , since switched to t5 hopefully it will stay this color. I used to have a lemonade acro got wiped out causes of BP darn I've lost a few colony of my sps because of this BP .

salvini55

These are from a private reefer who lives just outside Toronto. Darryl vanacker. Tim posted a thread with some quality stores in the missisauga area that are very nice. I've been to most the shops in TO and they are worth the drive.

kole18

Is this guy from RC's his name looks familiar to me? Anyway very nice collection of frag.

salvini55

Yes, he is a regular on RC and aquarium pros

kole18

Yeah I saw his tank in RC's amazing I was wondering what type of light his using now, & you got tek t5 now right?

salvini55

yep you got it. He uses MH maybe 400 watts. Im curious to see how the color changes

Severum

DROOOOOOOOOOOOL on those SPS. They look big enough to frag for me don't they. ;)

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

kole18

I like that granulosa & lemonade acro those are so sweet frggggg:)

salvini55

Im sure I will be fragging them in the summer  :) waiting is the hardest part isn't it

dakrazyone

put me on that list, i'm sure i have a few pieces you would like to swap.

salvini55

:) I'm always game for trading. I will be sure to post when I frag.

kole18

I've got some big pcs colony & I'm about to put sale soon , as well swaft too :) lmk .

kole18

I mean about to frag this colony :)

Cheebs

The tank is looking fantastic man... do you have any plans for corals on your sandbed?

kole18

Yup some acans & lobo brain favia those are the most popular  bottom corals :)

salvini55

Thanks phil. I will prolly only have a trio of nice tube anemones on the sandbed. Since my tank is so deep sps would require better lighting to be Placed on the middle tier so i will load that spot up with LPS. If i upgrade to 400 watt MH then I will move the LPS to the sandbed.

salvini55

Ok, I got the ball rolling again! SPS are starting to get their polyps and color back SLOWLY! I spoke too soon about being algae free... I have an attack of bubble algae but I can live with that.

I re-scaped the tank to get better flow and more light to lower portions of the rock work. I loved the old scape so much so this wasn't easy but I think that once the corals fill in it will look stellar.

I lost the tenius and the hoeki but magaged to pull most sps from the dead, this is my best recovery from a crash so I'm happy with the progress. Once the sps start healing up and taking off ill take some underwater photos.

Looks pretty bare with just three fish, in due time... Please comment on the scape

excuse the micro bubbles, the aqua scape putty is making my skimmer go bonkers

salvini55

oh I guess I didnt update here... The tank crashed after dosing antibiotics to remove cyano. The oxygen depleted and killed all my fish but the bellus angel. The SPS got beat to a pulp but I have managed to bring most back from the dead. Only a flame angel, tri color wrasse and the bellus in there fish wise

JetJumper

Scape looks good!  I love the single tall "tree" effect.  that will look awesome once SPS fills in for sure.

I had major cyano in my system and now that the algae scrubber is going full tilt it seems to have gone away.  Now I need to look into the Byropsis in some locations :(  Never a dull moment with these tanks eh?

Are you running pellets?  Just curious.  I was until I couldn't maintain the cyano anymore.  I want to get a recirc reactor for the pellets before I put them back on so I can control the in/out flow but still maintain a good tumble.

Cheebs

I'm loving the scape too, great job man!

kole18

Eh, that sucks trying to removed the cyano as fast as you can do to save your livestock away from algaes outbreak & it leads to disaster. that happens to my old tank before i bought these cyano "snow marine" zeovit I thought would help it just get worse. It ended up loosing my corals & fish, learned my mistake won't buy those products again even if it works for people who used it. I won't risk again, rather do a lot water change & give sometimes slowly to recover my tank, hey goodluck man hope everything to recover happy reef keeping.

MJChang

Quote from: kole18 on April 15, 2012, 10:37:29 AM
Eh, that sucks trying to removed the cyano as fast as you can do to save your livestock away from algaes outbreak & it leads to disaster. that happens to my old tank before i bought these cyano "snow marine" zeovit I thought would help it just get worse. It ended up loosing my corals & fish, learned my mistake won't buy those products again even if it works for people who used it. I won't risk again, rather do a lot water change & give sometimes slowly to recover my tank, hey goodluck man hope everything to recover happy reef keeping.

i guess sooner or later cyano's gonna fade

salvini55

thanks guys!  ;D

Jet, I am using vertex pellets in a TLF 150 and an ocean runner 2500 pump. I use a bit less than half the recommended amount for my system and the pump is almost at full till. I thought about doing the recirc idea last year but never got around to it. It seems to be getting more popular. My N03 is .25ppm and P04 is 0.018ppm on hanna though I bet its more like 0.04ppm as of late with the bubble algae popping up.

Id be lying if I said that the Blue Life Cyano RX didnt work, It killed all my fish but it also killed the cyano. I have two strands of cyano left and it is attached to the gorgonian.

I would not recommend antibiotics for a reef tank, I learned that the hard way and payed the price instead of listening to others...

kole18

Normally cyano causes of over feeding & un balance additives or overdose , as well if your light bulbs needs to replace it don't run it, only last 1 yr & some of us still does run until it end:) but you know sump, LR's & cheato helps to reduced all those unwanted stuff mix into your water. I'd find this method works 100%  ;D but takes time though & for sure got better result afterwards :) have good weekend folks.

salvini55

I am a firm believer that unbalanced alk cal and mag create algae problems. ive hit the sweet spot a few times in this tank but something goes wrong and i have to start from scratch over an over. Lucky the sps are still alive to try again. I didnt think i was comming back from this one.

Also good news, the wife okay'd a large FOWLR for upstairs so she can have the big angels and butterfly's and triggers she likes! Woohoo. As soon as i find a good deal on a 125-220 gallon tank ill be setting it up. Already have everything else for the build. So excited

redbelly

Glad you tank is doing better!

Did you loose the granulosa or did it pull through?
Deep waters are typically more sensitive and that was a nice piece!

salvini55

Hey pat hows it going? The granulosa stn but still have a few tips holding on. It fell behind a rock on the sandbed and i didnt notice for a few days and thats what triggered the stn. I have high hopes that it will make a comeback though.

redbelly

Too bad about the granulosa. Its awsome that we are seeing them in greater numbers these days and much healthier pieces these days! Hopefully yours will come back and you can get colors like this pieces from Vivid Aquarium in LA:

You can see the purple in the tips of your piece so chances are that it is the same as this piece.

salvini55

yep thats the one  :) I will be a happy man once it grows to that size!

Severum

Quote from: salvini55 on April 15, 2012, 05:32:29 PM
Also good news, the wife okay'd a large FOWLR for upstairs so she can have the big angels and butterfly's and triggers she likes! Woohoo. As soon as i find a good deal on a 125-220 gallon tank ill be setting it up. Already have everything else for the build. So excited

I think there is a ballin' L-shaped thank for sale that would be perfect for this. Hook it up bro! 8)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Haha thought about that but it wont fit anywhere propper

redbelly

An L shaped tank would be pretty sweet for a tank in your bedroom!

salvini55

that it would... Im not gonna push my luck though  ;D

salvini55

The trochus snails have spawned again! Ive counted about 16 new baby's. I think my skimmer is really pulling the spawn out of the water and that may be why im not seeing as many.

salvini55

Its official, amanda and i are moving to Toronto in august. I will be moving the reef with me. Hopefully i wont make the same mistake as last time and kill everything. I found out about this a day after i added a powder blue tang, copperband butterfly and a blonde naso tang!!!! Im gonna miss u folks!

Hookup

All the best with the move and good luck it Toronto.  Maybe a bigger tank for a bigger city???

Severum

Oh no. It sucks to hear you're leaving town. Where will we now get our supply of trochus snails and clever photoshops from?

All the best with your new oppotunities though!
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Thanks Tim, and thanks for all the help over the years! I doubt I will be getting a larger tank... Ill need all the space I can get!

Thanks Steve, It was a pleasure sharing the hobby with you. I'll still peek in every now and then, if you are lucky I will make a nice photoshop pic for you or maybe even some rapping  :)

Severum

Oh and don't forget frag-a-lot orders...  ;)

BTW, I looked for the rap battle thread and couldn't find it. I think it was in a forum thats no longer around. Can a mod bring that thread back? It was truly da bomb shiznit.

Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

salvini55

Hey guys, thought I would update for ya.

I lost everything in a power outage back in august while I was away in Toronto for a few days but yet again, I have rebuilt.

Here are some photos of the tank. enjoy :)

Stussi613

Those pictures are nuts!!
I haz reef tanks.

salvini55

Haha thanks. I bought myself a canon 60d 2 weeks ago. The first three sets are from the dslr and the fourth set is from my olympus point and shoot. :)

Stussi613

Quote from: salvini55 on November 28, 2012, 12:58:18 PM
Haha thanks. I bought myself a canon 60d 2 weeks ago. The first three sets are from the dslr and the fourth set is from my olympus point and shoot. :)

Macro lens?  Would love some details on your method for these pics, magazine quality for sure.
I haz reef tanks.

salvini55

The coral shots were taken with a Tamron 90mm 2.8f macro either handheld top down or on tripod through the glass. The fish shots are taken handheld with a Canon 18-200mm IS zoom lens.