New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30 Long Build

Started by Medym, January 24, 2012, 02:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medym

Well I lost the battle but not the war, my waterfall build was vetoed.  While I have not yet had luck selling my old 56 gal (which was going to finance this new build, I will be moving at a slower, but more deliberate pace towards constructing a 30 gal long (36'').

Equipment:

36'' glass aquarium bought on boxing day from Big Als.  As far as I can tell the bottom is not tempered so I will be drillin!  I am looking at 1'' hole for the overflow with durso standpipe (diy'd) and a DIY'd internal overflow box.  For the return I am thinking of a Mag 5 which will return through another hole drilled (location TBD)

Stand will be a standard 2x4 and 2x6 construction with either pine or cedar panelling and trim stained with an espresso   finish.  Inside will be the sump area and a separate area for the electrical side of things.

Sump is going to be an old 24x12x12  I picked up a while back which I will be installing a very simple baffles with a small fuge in the middle (overflow/skimmer section, bubble trap, fuge, baffles, return).

Lighting will be a DIY'd LED fixture.  While I am still researching the appropriate amount of lighting required I suspect it will be between 26-48 3W LEDs with a 2:1 ratio of Royal Blue to White on dimmable drivers

Circulation will be determined by the sale of my current tank.  If it sells MP10, if not I will use the return with some of the powerheads I have laying about.

Monitoring it will be a RKL (moved from my pico).  While it is awesome on the pico tank, I can easily maintain it without, I would rather have the features of it on the larger tank.

This weekend will have me constructing the stand and drilling.  I will also be taking my first crack at working with acrylic since Grade 8 shop class and building a casing for my pico's light.  I want to enclose it better, with a splash guard and fan.

Pics to follow as it moves along.

Marx

Hookup

sounds like a well thought out plan.

I'm not sure why you want to use 2x6's, but you don't need to from a weight/load perspective.  a 2x4 can hold and open span of 36" (max btw) for 24x24" of water... so you're way on the safe side doing it all out of 2x4's if that works.

might save you a few bucks there... every bit helps.

Medym

Quote from: Hookup on January 25, 2012, 08:56:42 AM
sounds like a well thought out plan.

I'm not sure why you want to use 2x6's, but you don't need to from a weight/load perspective.  a 2x4 can hold and open span of 36" (max btw) for 24x24" of water... so you're way on the safe side doing it all out of 2x4's if that works.

might save you a few bucks there... every bit helps.

Mostly because I have the lumber already!  Why not make use of it for the added strength over the span if I have it!  It might change between now and when I start cutting, but I will be sketching it out today and tomorrow and planning my cuts and banging it all out this weekend.

matycake

Can't wait to see some pic sounds like it gonna be nice
Gl with the build

xmai77

Quote from: Medym on January 24, 2012, 02:10:34 PM
Well I lost the battle but not the war, my waterfall build was vetoed.  While I have not yet had luck selling my old 56 gal (which was going to finance this new build, I will be moving at a slower, but more deliberate pace towards constructing a 30 gal long (36'').

Equipment:

36'' glass aquarium bought on boxing day from Big Als.  As far as I can tell the bottom is not tempered so I will be drillin!  I am looking at 1'' hole for the overflow with durso standpipe (diy'd) and a DIY'd internal overflow box.  For the return I am thinking of a Mag 5 which will return through another hole drilled (location TBD)

Stand will be a standard 2x4 and 2x6 construction with either pine or cedar panelling and trim stained with an espresso   finish.  Inside will be the sump area and a separate area for the electrical side of things.

Sump is going to be an old 24x12x12  I picked up a while back which I will be installing a very simple baffles with a small fuge in the middle (overflow/skimmer section, bubble trap, fuge, baffles, return).

Lighting will be a DIY'd LED fixture.  While I am still researching the appropriate amount of lighting required I suspect it will be between 26-48 3W LEDs with a 2:1 ratio of Royal Blue to White on dimmable drivers

Circulation will be determined by the sale of my current tank.  If it sells MP10, if not I will use the return with some of the powerheads I have laying about.

Monitoring it will be a RKL (moved from my pico).  While it is awesome on the pico tank, I can easily maintain it without, I would rather have the features of it on the larger tank.

This weekend will have me constructing the stand and drilling.  I will also be taking my first crack at working with acrylic since Grade 8 shop class and building a casing for my pico's light.  I want to enclose it better, with a splash guard and fan.

Pics to follow as it moves along.

I'm looking forward to pics of the stand! I wish I had a garage or a heated shed to work in during the winter. I'd love to make myself a new stand.

Medym

Stand is almost done, I will try to get some pictures up at some point. I am curious, what are peoples opinion of using  foam under the aquarium.  I am working on the trim and I am curious what people's thoughts are.  I have heard of many people using foam boards under the aquariums to take into account for imperfections in the stand and I am considering doing the same...

Secondly I am looking at doing 36x 3W LEDs with either a 2:1 or 3:2 Ratio of RB to White.  I am worried that it might not be enough, should I jump to 48 or will 26 provide enough for what I am looking to do?

touchofsky

I use foam under my aquariums.  Since doing so, I have not had leaks.  I would recommend it  :)

leemay

Quote from: Medym on February 12, 2012, 10:45:40 AM
Stand is almost done, I will try to get some pictures up at some point. I am curious, what are peoples opinion of using  foam under the aquarium.  I am working on the trim and I am curious what people's thoughts are.  I have heard of many people using foam boards under the aquariums to take into account for imperfections in the stand and I am considering doing the same...

Secondly I am looking at doing 36x 3W LEDs with either a 2:1 or 3:2 Ratio of RB to White.  I am worried that it might not be enough, should I jump to 48 or will 26 provide enough for what I am looking to do?

36 leds is enough for your tank, will grow high light corals no problem.
i suggest using more different color leds though.

my tank is 36x18x18, I'm using 36 3w cree leds.
i have been tweeking my leds for two years now, currently running,

18 royal blue
6 blue
6 uv
4 cool white
2 warm white

the color is almost perfect for my liking.

i started with 12rb and 12cw two years ago.

hope that helps.