New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS aquarium building and resealing workshop

Started by babblefish1960, April 09, 2007, 07:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

I am interested in knowing those OVAS club members who would be interested in this workshop, as we have found someone willing to entertain you all by sharing their secrets of this mysterious subject matter.

The date will be announced later, and it will be in warmer weather, the purpose of the workshop is to demonstrate the art of converting flat panes of glass into a watertight box using only silicone and magic. Alright it isn't really magic, but there are some tricks to this that will be revealed.

Additionally, there will be a demonstration on the resealing of a tank whose butt joints are still intact and only require the replacement of the inner cove of silicone.

Moreover, the difference in determining at which time which method applies to which specific problem will be examined, leaking tanks can be such a troublesome thing.

Should there be a good response as to the desire to attend such a workshop, there could well be the possibility of having us bring our own glass and silicone, and have on hands instruction and guidance in creating our own little boxes to take home to show our respective spouses.

Wouldn't that be lovely!

As certain details are fleshed out, more information will be provided, however, I would like a show of hands of who would be interested in attending such a workshop. I can't actually see your hands though, perhaps you would like to post in this thread that you are all agog and deeply committed to being excited about attending such an event.

Carry on.

darkdep

(hands up)

I just recently got a window a neighbour was throwing out, it has at least 4 panes of good, big glass I would love to bring to this event.

babblefish1960

Very cool master blaster, good show of hands there by the way. As you have a wonky schedule coming up, we will attempt to earmark a date where you can actually be in attendance.

There you have it folks, the first boar from New Guinea, a grand time will be had by all, so pipe up, let's get a right proper showing of those willing to be standing akimbo whilst APW commandeers a tube of silicone.

darkdep

Prior to the event, you can come by and laugh as I try to remove 4 panes of glass from a window frame.

fishycanuck

Wow! What a great time! Will you be using any tools, APW, or will you be head-butting the panes until a) they fall out or b) you get a pain?

Shrimpy

I'd be interested for sure,  8) but if it is going to be held on a Monday night then forget it.  :-[

gonzobluefuzz

Most definitely interested, schedule permitting I'm in.

G

charlie

audioslave_36

RoxyDog

I think I'd like to see this, especially if APW is going to try and make a tank out of only 4 panes of glass.   ;)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

That's going to be a cool trick, isn't it :)

I think I'll have to figure out how to cut glass too :)

zippity

<<<<hands way up in the air>>>>>>>

i can't let you guys have all the fun while I stay at home making dinner all the time

busdriver

Do you think this might have helped me when my tank cracked?
Also would it be feasible to build a large tank using the materials the BigAl's uses for their tanks?
If so, my hand is up! :)
Please, don't make it on a Sunday! ::)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

bitterman

This sounds fun... I'm in if it does nto conflict with previous plans.

Bruce

Laura

I would like to come, but it will depend on the time committment required.  At some point in the future I want to re-seal my 45 gallon before it gets filled again and getting some pointers before I dive in would be great.

700 gal pond - Rosy reds

washefuzzy

I would be delighted to attend and get splinters of glass in my fingers. :)

wild_cory

babblefish1960

Well then, it seems that there are a few folks here that have a deep seated need to get their fingers stuck together after all the glass cuts.

In light of this burgeoning list of pseudo-aquarium Michaelangelo's, and in secret talks with our mystery instructor, it would appear that we would require a couple of these workshops.

What has been slated would be multi-dimensional...whoops, no science fiction here, multi-part demonstrations.

These would need to be done on weekends, as our demonstrator has a regular life that involves work or some such thing.

The first would be a clear demonstration on resealing a tank, and I feel that this would be an easy one to involve participation in, as hands on really does get the information to stick.

The second part would be a demonstration of actual tank building, I will look into the possibility of a session of tank building that involves the attendees for their own projects.

The third part, and I can hear some of you already, is going to be a demonstration of building a tank from acrylic.

More information will follow, but of course, input in this thread may well help to shape the workshops as well, so pipe up if you have a bug in your ear, I'm sure there is a fish here somewhere that eats it.

Due also to the size of interest, as well as the hands on applications, these workshops are only going to be open to bona fide card carrying OVAS club members in good standing, so, if you are interested, and are not a member, you may well be interested in looking into the membership, which at this time of year is only $15 per person.

Support your local fish club, and we'll help you make fun of yourself.

Gilles

normc

Me too. Just be aware that old glass is very(very) brittle and can't cut. I know I've tried.

Laura

I'd be interested in the resealing workshop.  I've done my 15 gallon, but larger is always more intimidating (and messier if it ends up on the floor :o)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

audioslave_36

As I said earlier in the thread I am in  ;D  sounds like it gonna be fun.

Dave

babblefish1960

I should have some more solid information over the next few days as to when, where and how this workshop will take place. It is looking as though it will be over a few days, different weekends, and it is also looking as though there will be a hands on tank building from scratch using new glass from Toronto at a very good price. The resealing will likely be a different day, and it would appear that if enough preparation is done, you should be able to bring your questionable tanks along to reseal.

Still looking into a day for building acrylic tanks, sumps, table lamps, whatever, once I have some more dates, we can begin the process of signing up. Look forward to seeing all of you at the workshops, should be great smelly fun, remember to bring bandages. :)

babblefish1960

Here we go, we have a location, we have a presenter with skill, we have a date, and we now need some folks who would be willing to show up, experiment and get sticky. It will be on Sunday June 24th in the great outdoors, at a very lovely home in the central suburbs.

So everyone come and show us your icky tanks, and we'll see if there can't be some alterations to the silicone landscape in your glass corners.

By the time you're done with this workshop, you'll be itching to try the tank rebuilding workshop, where the entire silicone surfaces are replaced.

Let me know in this thread or by pm if you are interested in this amazing workshop, and we can get it started. :)

You don't have to have a tank to take part, there is much to learn you can take home with you to try.

apuppet

Wooao.....  Count me in,  This will be a great learning experiences.

-a
planted

freshwater

Put me down. I need to reseal my 108Gal late Aug. when I go home, this would be great spot to start. Oh, one thing though, if it's not within biking distance, I might need a ride there and back, lol.

babblefish1960

It is very near the Woodroffe bus terminal by Algonquin college.

busdriver

Take me off the list, can't come on a Sunday, any Sunday. :'( :'( :'(
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

freshwater

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 12, 2007, 07:38:00 PM
It is very near the Woodroffe bus terminal by Algonquin college.

Sweet! Bus it is then.

beowulf

I am still in, so can we bring a tank to practice on or is this more of a watch and learn thing?

babblefish1960

You are welcome to bring your tank, or tanks, but you will definitely need to pay attention for the instructions and watch how it is done for sure.

Shrimpy

Count me in too as long as I am able to drive and walk without pain by that date.  ;)

Chinaman

Babble:

Count me in, too (pending unexpected business trip)

Sam

washefuzzy

babblefish1960

Sounds great, I will expect you all, it should be grand fun, smelly, somewhat serious, and hopefully enlightening. As we approach the event, I shall give you the details of time and location to be sure. Feel free to come if you have nothing to reseal, you can still participate, and of course, if you can carry it, we can surely help you figure out how to do something with it there as well.

You will need to brown bag it though, I am fairly cheap and nasty and will not buy anyone lunch whatsoever. :P :)

babblefish1960

Here are more details;
I will not be providing lunch to anyone, so if you need to, bring your own brown bag or superman lunch box, and put something inside of it that you would like to eat amidst the smell of summer and silicone.
I will not be providing refreshments of any kind, bring your own drinks and cookies.
I will not be providing anyone with silicone, bring your own, NO bathtub caulking, it must be 100% pure silicone, no additives. If it says fungus proof, don't buy it, ordinary Canadian Tire pure silicone will be fine. I will supply tube details soon to be sure we are talking oranges and oranges.
I will not be supplying aquariums for you to practice on, bring your own project and prepare to get sticky.
I will have paper towel for silicone cleanup.
I will have some razor blades, bring your own if you can, you use quite a few.
I will have a few bandages, one can never have too many of these.
I will be expecting to start right away at noon on Sunday June 24.
I will pm reply to everyone who pm's me with a request to attend, the actual address where this will be happening.
I will be finishing the workshop by 5:00 pm no matter the state of your tank.
I will be informative and instructive, however, I will not be held responsible for your own silicone job, all efforts applied at this workshop are at your own risk.

I will make it fun, so relax, and come and listen while hopefully learning too.

beowulf

If someone wants to come and does not have a tank to work on let me know, I have an extra tank that needs to be done so I can bring it along.  I will of course provide you the silicone as it is my tank  ;)  Just let me know ASAP as I would have to buy the extra tube of silicone.

washefuzzy

Quote from: beowulf on June 18, 2007, 06:49:51 AM
If someone wants to come and does not have a tank to work on let me know, I have an extra tank that needs to be done so I can bring it along.  I will of course provide you the silicone as it is my tank  ;)  Just let me know ASAP as I would have to buy the extra tube of silicone.
I'ld be interested in working on your tank. No promises about it being leak proof when it's done. :)

babblefish1960

Bring your own chairs, bring your own food, bring your own 100% silicone, bring your own sunscreen, bring your own drinks, bring your own hat, or chapeau if you prefer, bring your own scruffy clothes, there is nothing quite like silicone in your Sunday best attire.

Should you have long hair, bring something along to tie it up out of the way, unless of course you would like to literally be one with your tank. ;)

And if you have one, bring your own tank, if you don't, bring your sense of humour, as I am sure there will be opportunity to learn anyway. :)

washefuzzy

I knew asking about a chair would bring a lengthy answer! :)  I just had to ask! ::)

beowulf

Quote from: washefuzzy on June 18, 2007, 11:30:33 PM
I knew asking about a chair would bring a lengthy answer! :)  I just had to ask! ::)

He would not be Babble without.

Chinaman

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 18, 2007, 04:59:06 PM
Bring your own chairs, bring your own food, bring your own 100% silicone, bring your own sunscreen, bring your own drinks, bring your own hat, or chapeau if you prefer, bring your own scruffy clothes, there is nothing quite like silicone in your Sunday best attire.

Babble,

Is this mysterious "work venue" legit?  Sounds like an abandoned warehouse to me D

babblefish1960

I am not sure what you mean, but it is a lovely backyard of a generous man who thinks we are just crazy fish people with too much time on our hands. It is in the suburbs of something called the Centrepoint area and when I know everything is a go, I will pm directions and address on Friday. :)

beowulf

Babble is trying to make this as covert and secret agent as possible.  ;)

freshwater

Would there be aquarium safe silicon for purchase at this workshop? 'cause I have been looking for some to reseal my 100Gal tank...

beowulf

Quote from: freshwater on June 20, 2007, 11:05:21 PM
Would there be aquarium safe silicon for purchase at this workshop? 'cause I have been looking for some to reseal my 100Gal tank...

I believe not but as mentioned in a post a little further up you can find some at Canadian Tire or other local home hardware store for cheap.

Chinaman

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 19, 2007, 01:10:53 PM
........when I know everything is a go, I will pm directions and address on Friday. :)

Babble,

This isn't meant to put pressure on you but I won't be able to read my e-mails tomorrow.
Consequently I may miss the all important coordinates that you promised to provide...
that would lead to my defaulting the privilege to witness the tank sealing
project.  Any chance you  can release the info a day earlier?

Regards,

Sam

babblefish1960

I remind everyone that I need private messages of intention to attend in order to tell you all where to go, I look forward to this workshop, and I hope we have a swell turnout in spite of the lack of a luncheon.

Sounds like pressure to me Chinaman, but being Mr. sweetness and light and all goody goody, I caved, pm sent you rascal. ;D

babblefish1960

Just a reminder to everyone attending this workshop, if you have one and are bringing silicone or a tank, or both, don't forget to bring along a caulking gun too, it works much better than a dowel in the tube. ;)

Don't forget to bring your own comestibles as well, (food stuffs) and a drink of some sort.

See you all there, should be loads of fun.

washefuzzy

How did the workshop go? I really was looking forward to going but got up this morning feeling not so good. :-[ Not fair!!
Hope you all had a marvelous time and that nobody nicked themselves. :)

babblefish1960

As it isn't starting until noon, I couldn't tell you how it went, if you change your mind, we're still not there for another hour. ;)

washefuzzy

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 24, 2007, 10:57:47 AM
As it isn't starting until noon, I couldn't tell you how it went, if you change your mind, we're still not there for another hour. ;)
thrppppt!

babblefish1960

It was a nice sunny day, with convivial company and the sweet smell of silicone.  Thanks to those who came, to garnpet for hosting the workshop and lending me a hat, and to redbelly for sharing his expertise as well.  Thanks to Mila for allowing everyone to practice on his tanks.  :)
Pictures of the event are here

Chinaman

Never had to use my forefinger so much...and no that's not what you are
thinking.  It's how Babblefish the Instructor showed us how to use a razor
to remove the silicone.

It's a well worth learning session.  Thanks Babblefish and it was nice to meet
a few members.

Sam

washefuzzy

Looks like you had a very informative session. I wish I had been there. I just hope none of my tanks leak before the next session. :)