New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

OVAS aquarium building and resealing workshop

Started by babblefish1960, April 09, 2007, 07:49:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laura

I'd be interested in the resealing workshop.  I've done my 15 gallon, but larger is always more intimidating (and messier if it ends up on the floor :o)
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

audioslave_36

As I said earlier in the thread I am in  ;D  sounds like it gonna be fun.

Dave

babblefish1960

I should have some more solid information over the next few days as to when, where and how this workshop will take place. It is looking as though it will be over a few days, different weekends, and it is also looking as though there will be a hands on tank building from scratch using new glass from Toronto at a very good price. The resealing will likely be a different day, and it would appear that if enough preparation is done, you should be able to bring your questionable tanks along to reseal.

Still looking into a day for building acrylic tanks, sumps, table lamps, whatever, once I have some more dates, we can begin the process of signing up. Look forward to seeing all of you at the workshops, should be great smelly fun, remember to bring bandages. :)

babblefish1960

Here we go, we have a location, we have a presenter with skill, we have a date, and we now need some folks who would be willing to show up, experiment and get sticky. It will be on Sunday June 24th in the great outdoors, at a very lovely home in the central suburbs.

So everyone come and show us your icky tanks, and we'll see if there can't be some alterations to the silicone landscape in your glass corners.

By the time you're done with this workshop, you'll be itching to try the tank rebuilding workshop, where the entire silicone surfaces are replaced.

Let me know in this thread or by pm if you are interested in this amazing workshop, and we can get it started. :)

You don't have to have a tank to take part, there is much to learn you can take home with you to try.

apuppet

Wooao.....  Count me in,  This will be a great learning experiences.

-a
planted

freshwater

Put me down. I need to reseal my 108Gal late Aug. when I go home, this would be great spot to start. Oh, one thing though, if it's not within biking distance, I might need a ride there and back, lol.

babblefish1960

It is very near the Woodroffe bus terminal by Algonquin college.

busdriver

Take me off the list, can't come on a Sunday, any Sunday. :'( :'( :'(
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

freshwater

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 12, 2007, 07:38:00 PM
It is very near the Woodroffe bus terminal by Algonquin college.

Sweet! Bus it is then.

beowulf

I am still in, so can we bring a tank to practice on or is this more of a watch and learn thing?

babblefish1960

You are welcome to bring your tank, or tanks, but you will definitely need to pay attention for the instructions and watch how it is done for sure.

Shrimpy

Count me in too as long as I am able to drive and walk without pain by that date.  ;)

Chinaman

Babble:

Count me in, too (pending unexpected business trip)

Sam

washefuzzy

babblefish1960

Sounds great, I will expect you all, it should be grand fun, smelly, somewhat serious, and hopefully enlightening. As we approach the event, I shall give you the details of time and location to be sure. Feel free to come if you have nothing to reseal, you can still participate, and of course, if you can carry it, we can surely help you figure out how to do something with it there as well.

You will need to brown bag it though, I am fairly cheap and nasty and will not buy anyone lunch whatsoever. :P :)

babblefish1960

Here are more details;
I will not be providing lunch to anyone, so if you need to, bring your own brown bag or superman lunch box, and put something inside of it that you would like to eat amidst the smell of summer and silicone.
I will not be providing refreshments of any kind, bring your own drinks and cookies.
I will not be providing anyone with silicone, bring your own, NO bathtub caulking, it must be 100% pure silicone, no additives. If it says fungus proof, don't buy it, ordinary Canadian Tire pure silicone will be fine. I will supply tube details soon to be sure we are talking oranges and oranges.
I will not be supplying aquariums for you to practice on, bring your own project and prepare to get sticky.
I will have paper towel for silicone cleanup.
I will have some razor blades, bring your own if you can, you use quite a few.
I will have a few bandages, one can never have too many of these.
I will be expecting to start right away at noon on Sunday June 24.
I will pm reply to everyone who pm's me with a request to attend, the actual address where this will be happening.
I will be finishing the workshop by 5:00 pm no matter the state of your tank.
I will be informative and instructive, however, I will not be held responsible for your own silicone job, all efforts applied at this workshop are at your own risk.

I will make it fun, so relax, and come and listen while hopefully learning too.

beowulf

If someone wants to come and does not have a tank to work on let me know, I have an extra tank that needs to be done so I can bring it along.  I will of course provide you the silicone as it is my tank  ;)  Just let me know ASAP as I would have to buy the extra tube of silicone.

washefuzzy

Quote from: beowulf on June 18, 2007, 06:49:51 AM
If someone wants to come and does not have a tank to work on let me know, I have an extra tank that needs to be done so I can bring it along.  I will of course provide you the silicone as it is my tank  ;)  Just let me know ASAP as I would have to buy the extra tube of silicone.
I'ld be interested in working on your tank. No promises about it being leak proof when it's done. :)

babblefish1960

Bring your own chairs, bring your own food, bring your own 100% silicone, bring your own sunscreen, bring your own drinks, bring your own hat, or chapeau if you prefer, bring your own scruffy clothes, there is nothing quite like silicone in your Sunday best attire.

Should you have long hair, bring something along to tie it up out of the way, unless of course you would like to literally be one with your tank. ;)

And if you have one, bring your own tank, if you don't, bring your sense of humour, as I am sure there will be opportunity to learn anyway. :)