New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Volunteers required 2nd annual OVAS membership drive

Started by babblefish1960, August 31, 2007, 02:19:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babblefish1960

Hello one and all, it is that time of year once again when we get rid of the kids at school and give our sandals a shake and start heading into the grip of wintry season activities.

Before we get there though, we will be having a membership drive on Saturday September 8.

At the moment, we will need some OVAS bona fide club members as volunteers willing to brave the great outdoors at Big Al's Aquarium Service outlets at Innes and Kanata locations, as well as the last pet shop downtown, Pet Circus on Bank Street at Cooper Street right near Somerset Street.

There may well be a few other locations, but this is what is confirmed thus far and the places we were preaching to those that would listen last year.

We will be having memberships on hand to let people register for the new season of fish madness, and new this year, there will be a raffle for each of the locations where people joining can put their name in for winning the aforementioned raffle prize.

Please let me know either in this thread, or by private message or even email, and of course, any of the executive you like to talk to, we need some commitments for the better part of the afternoon on the Saturday, so mark your calendars and practice your smiles.

It is also a good time to come and get your membership and say hello, as you could win something really cool. :)

charlie

I can volunteer sometime @ Big Al`s east.
Regards

beowulf

I will take either the closest to my place or the one that needs someone as a second choice.  So I guess Kanata?  Or if french people are needed at la Niche.

babblefish1960

Thanks wulfie, I am unsure as yet, I may need you in Kanata by the looks, I will let you know, either that or downtown.

KLKelly

If you need extras I'd love to help in the east end.

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 31, 2007, 08:36:15 PM
Thanks wulfie, I am unsure as yet, I may need you in Kanata by the looks, I will let you know, either that or downtown.

Is there parking downtown for us suburbia folks?

dan2x38

Are there shifts for volunteering? I live near Pet Circus but could not do a whole day. If needed could swing 4 hours.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

busdriver

I'll have to check with my 'boss' but you can put me down for either Big Al's, I don't my the driving to Kanata if need be, also, as I'm not a paid up member, I guess I'll have to come up with the 20 bucks.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Laura

Quote from: beowulf on August 31, 2007, 09:10:32 PM
Is there parking downtown for us suburbia folks?
You should be fine for parking near Pet Circus.  The city's website says that parking in lots of downtown is free on weekends in lots and on-street meters. http://ottawa.ca/residents/parking/parking_lots/index_en.html
Check the meters/signs for restrictions, and remember that the 3 hr. restriction can apply even if the signs don't say so!

There is lots of angle parking on Cooper, west of Bank just around the corner from Pet Circus.  Access it from Kent as Cooper is a one-way in the wrong direction.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

babblefish1960

This is all coming together rather well actually, I appreciate the efforts of everyone who has set aside some time to help with this activity.  I appreciate everyone else too who may otherwise be engaged but support our efforts in this venue also.

As it happens, we are a wee bit short of equipment, and as I am not of fan of the last minute panic, I was wondering if anyone would be able to volunteer their furniture in some form or another?
Nothing too fancy, just reasonably solid, a bevy of lawn chairs or some such cush for the tush, and a number of tables, large enough for some flyers and sheet paper.

It would be most helpful too if these particular furnishings could be supplied, picked up and delivered to the various locations, even if you haven't the time for the membership drive itself.

I look forward to the day, and thank you all for making this fun bit of fish club noise possible. :)

BigMomma

As I recall there was some pretty ingenious thinking that went into this table  ;) Also, notice how the table cloth matches the window display perfectly!

[attachment deleted by admin]

beowulf

Now that I think of it Babble, I think I have a couple of those fold-out chairs like in the picture.  I just hope I didn't leave them at my parents place in Montreal when I left.

plecoguy

Babble..You seem to be asking quite a lot of us members, but I'll tell you what..I have a nice 6ft table I can place at Pet Circus..Lots of room for flyers etc...

babblefish1960

Oh wow, that is so sweet there plecoguy, I would be eminently grateful for the imminent loan of your 6 foot table.  About noon would be great, and I am almost positive no one would spill coffee on it.  Thanks.

Could you check you garage there wulfie?

Yes we had some very cool setups BigMomma, now that I think about it, it may be a swell idea to have some sort of easel or something as well.

Dr. Ashtray

Darnit all.  I will be away next Saturday as I was yesterday.  Next one!!
Jeffrey...

Cheebs

Are you guys going to be there in the evening? I'd love to stop by Big Al's on Innes, but I don't finish work until 7pm (I think).
I work at the Home Depot down the road near 10th line, I'd be able to find my way over there if people are still around.

Crumpet

I have a metal tabletop easel that I can loan for the day to the Innes location.  It is a little . . . painty, but serviceable.

babblefish1960

Big Al's will be closed at 6:00 pm, I suspect that we will be long gone by then. ;)

Thanks, Crumpet, the paintier the better, sounds ideal for that location.

Cheebs

Ah yes, I was forgetting the Saturday schedule.  I'll see if I can pop by on my lunchbreak or something. Thanks though.
Cheebs.

gonzobluefuzz

Working the night before and the night of the event........sleeping most of the day..... can't help out   :( ....guess I'll renew my membership @ pet circus on my way into work once I drag my posterior outa bed that is :)

G.