New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Auction results

Started by artw, March 07, 2005, 09:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

The final numbers are still coming in but it seems as if the 2005 Giant Auction was a great success.   the weather did not seem to affect us at all, even though we were a bit late starting.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the Volunteers who helped out yesterday, including but not limited to of course the auctioneers, runners, cashiers, kitchen staff, and Marc who did a wonderful job as always registering and cashing out at the computer.

We got television exposure from CJOH and Rogers 22,  I haven't seen the videos yet but my boss did and apparently we looked good.

:cheers:
Art

ambushman2j

yeah my fish were on the news ;) well, whoever bought my breeding trio of pseudotropheus socolofi, their new fish were on the 6pm news, they of coarse, cropped me out ;)

I wanted to win a colony of tropheus damnit!! lol I was too conservative wanting to get at least some of everything I wanted, and I ended up with 55$ left to spend and nothing left to spend it on, anyone know the info on those guys from montreal who brought all the tropheus in?

pegasus

Come with us to the Montreal auction... May first .. I think.

Evan

Ambushman,

Marc can send him your adress so that he may contact you.

http://ovas.ca/bridge/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=2483&start=60

maitre007

I am quite happy with the way things turned out.  I had a limited budget which I increased by rolling some pennies, nickel and dimes.  

I wanted to pick a few things up but when I saw neolanprologus buescheri, I knew where my entire budget would go.

And I am quite happy with my decisive action.  They look amazing in my 30 gallon aquarium with my pseudotropheus flavus.

I can just see the threads about tanganyikan fish aren't supposed to be mixed with malawis .... blah, blah, blah.

ambushman2j

well I did give him my e-mail address at the checkout line..but after further thought I Really want them lol so I wanna see his info about the fish to decide what I want

and I might just go to the auction, tho may is kinda far away, the 55$ I have to spend might not be around by then lol

328iGuy

Quote from: "pegasus"Come with us to the Montreal auction... May first .. I think.

I am going to plan to take the trip for that auction......

328iGuy

Quote from: "ambushman2j"
I wanted to win a colony of tropheus damnit!! lol I was too conservative wanting to get at least some of everything I wanted, and I ended up with 55$ left to spend and nothing left to spend it on, anyone know the info on those guys from montreal who brought all the tropheus in?

If you're interested in buying a colony let me know as I Will be ordering some soon, we could do a package deal.

dougb

Many thanks to all involved in running the auction.  It's been a long time since I was involved in helping run things at OVAS, but I remember it was a massive effort even when the auction was a quarter that size.  Kudos to all involved!!!

As for my take -- I'm very pleased.  I managed to sell the fish from a lightly populated soft water tank and turn it into a moderately populated malawi cichlid tank for a net expendature of about $40.  Not bad at all...

Unfortunately I had one casualty -- in the breeding trio of caruleus I bought, the male got a little disgruntled and killed one of the females outright -- she was dead in the bag when I got home, and by the smell (:shock: ) had been dead for several hours.  Everything else seems to be doing fine (no problems adapting to my well water at all).

patman

Hi folks, the tropheus guy from montreal is Tim.. pm me and i will give you his phone number.. i thinki read 328iguy wanting to pool a tropheus order i'm in!!  thanks Pat

328iGuy

Quote from: "patman"Hi folks, the tropheus guy from montreal is Tim.. pm me and i will give you his phone number.. i thinki read 328iguy wanting to pool a tropheus order i'm in!!  thanks Pat

Check you're PM!  8)

Shouganai

I was very pleased with all that I got from the auction, except for one thing..

I made a bit of an impulse buy on one of the batches of pygmy cories that was there, and that was a mistake. They've got columnaris pretty bad, and I'm not too sure they'll survive. Currently being medicated, but we'll see.

I hadn't seen them on the tables unfortunately, but I'm a huge fan of cories and I can't get enough of these little guys, so I bit on them sight unseen. Whoever bought the other batch of them, keep a close eye on them, just fyi.

mseguin

Can't say I'm sad I dropped out of the bidding on those.,but sorry to hear that.

gvv

Quote from: "Shouganai"...
I hadn't seen them on the tables unfortunately...
The same problem, something what was announced I have not seen on the tables, maybe because there were a lot of stuff on the auction :) .
As a suggection for next grand auction to have separate tables for fish/plants/equipment. Maybe in this case people will be able to focus :?:
And also I liked the idea with the white board :!: . Just there were a lot of people walking there, so sometimes I was unable to see what is going on.

Regards

Shouganai

I went through the tables at least 7 times, and pygmy cories were something I had my eye out for, so they must have come in pretty late.

The whiteboard was a good idea, though I couldn't see it at all from where I was sitting, just because people were usually standing in front of it. A projector with a laptop attached might be a good idea instead, or even an overhead projector, just so the text is larger.

mseguin

Sorry about the whiteboard, we tried not to obscure the view, but it was kidna hard. And i didn't spot the cories either, so I assume they came in late. I was also disaapointed there were no lyretails as promised. :-(

ambushman2j

Quote from: "328iGuy"

If you're interested in buying a colony let me know as I Will be ordering some soon, we could do a package deal.

ok but I only got 55$ to spend lol so they gotta be decent priced

328iGuy

ok but I only got 55$ to spend lol so they gotta be decent priced

Yikes....not going to get much for $55 :).

ambushman2j

well the guy from montreal mentioned to me he sells em for 7$ a peice.. that'll get me 7-8 of em.. I know you supposed to have more then that, but that's all I can afford heh..wish duboisi were not so expensive I would love a colony of those, the *1* I bought at the auction has adapted BEST of all *6* fish I was able to buy.. only one who's eating from top of the tank so far.. even my front which I already had is not eating from the top anymore lol (I did move him from 50 to 77)

328iGuy

The issue with getting 6 or 7 is that they will kill one another off once they mature.  You will more than likely be throwing that money away. :(

I would recommend a minimum of a 15-18 fish colony in a 55 long...but recommend 75 gallon or larger with more. :)

I will be getting a new colony shortly, will check the pricing and let you know!

I will be phoning the guy from Montreal tomorrow as well, will get some info.

ambushman2j

so I guess ideally you would not want any other species in the tank with the colony then?

328iGuy

Quote from: "ambushman2j"so I guess ideally you would not want any other species in the tank with the colony then?

You got it!  8)

Sue

Quote from: "ambushman2j"heh..wish duboisi were not so expensive I would love a colony of those, the *1* I bought at the auction has adapted BEST of all *6* fish I was able to buy.. only one who's eating from top of the tank so far.. )

I'm glad to hear the little guy is doing well. I babied it with a big bag for such a small fish!

pegasus

Quote from: "ambushman2j"so I guess ideally you would not want any other species in the tank with the colony then?
Well that depend on the size of your colony. A large colony of 20+ will do better by themselves but a smaller colony 8-14 could benefit in having other fish to break their chases. That's what I've done for my first 8 Kaiser. I will by adding the 5 new juveniles from the auctions in about 6 months, meanwhile they share their space with calvus, treto, lithobates, red empress & brichardi. My two other colonies of 10 & 18 are alone in their growing up tanks.

I had a near fatality when I had the 8 Kaiser alone. In just 4 hours, 2 dominant males went at it leaving one with tail, dorsal fin to the spine and a good part of his back in bare flesh. 3 weeks later, a vacation with the juvies and that fish had regain all his splendour.
So if someone bought 5 tropheus at the auction, you have only two choices... get 10 more or mix them with larger africans.

Here's a picture of the not so dominant Kaiser.

Anubias

Hi Shouganai,

I supplied the pigmies and was unaware of any problems. They were purchased several months ago at Super Pet and placed in their own bare 5 gallon tank. I lost none during that period, but I seldom viewed them. I moved them to another freshly filled 5 gallon about 36 hours before the auction. They may have been damaged  during the transfer. In any case, I most likely wouldn't have been able to discern the disease with my eyesight. It was inadvertent.

A few years back, I bid and won a rare synodontis at the OVAS auction. Immediately the vendor approached me and said that she thought that it might have ick. I wasn't too pleased, but it gave me a heads up to treat the catfish. It survived to become a great addition to the tank.

Let's hope that you don't lose them. If you do, email me (dwhitt at sympatico.ca) and I'll refund what I received for them. OVAS is self-insured and no doubt will refund the other 25%. I'm sorry about this. These things happen.

The same applies to the other purchaser.

Regards,

Marc

Actually items at the auction are sold "as is" but in this case if David refunds his 75% we could probably say there was no sale then OVAS would return the other 25%.

The above is my opinion.  I would have to check with the OVAS executive to get a final decision.  

Marc

Marc

P.S.  I hope it's not columnaris and that the pigmy cories make a full recovery.

Sue

You got it!  8)

I've also put a few other tanganikan's in my tropheus tanks.  I also like to mix duboisi and moori, because duboisi are much less aggressive.
I don't have enough cherry spots, and the fighting is brutal in that tank. I have stuck sponges near the surface in the corners where the beaten up fish go to hide. I stick them on the glass with spare suction cups from old power heads/broken heaters. It seems to help the bottom ranking fish survive.

TBarb

Quote from: "gvv"
The same problem, something what was announced I have not seen on the tables, maybe because there were a lot of stuff on the auction :) .
As a suggection for next grand auction to have separate tables for fish/plants/equipment. Maybe in this case people will be able to focus :?:
And also I liked the idea with the white board :!: . Just there were a lot of people walking there, so sometimes I was unable to see what is going on.

Regards

I second that. Good suggestion.

BigDaddy

There's a reason why people spread their lots across multiple tables......

artw

yes,  there is nothing like trying to auction off 10 consecutive lots of pennywort

Shouganai

Quote from: "Anubias"Hi Shouganai,

I supplied the pigmies and was unaware of any problems. They were purchased several months ago at Super Pet and placed in their own bare 5 gallon tank. I lost none during that period, but I seldom viewed them. I moved them to another freshly filled 5 gallon about 36 hours before the auction. They may have been damaged  during the transfer. In any case, I most likely wouldn't have been able to discern the disease with my eyesight. It was inadvertent.

No problem, its all good.. I haven't lost any since the one that was dead in bag at the auction. Currently there is one showing pretty clear signs of columnaris, and they're all being medicated. I know cories are prone to catching this from high-stress situations, so it quite probably had nothing to do with you.

On a side note, you said you got these from SP about 5 months ago.. was it Merivale SP? If so, chances are I sold them to you, and  I own the rest of these little guys brothers and sisters :) I remember someone from OVAS coming in and buying 10 pygmy cories a couple weeks before I bought up the rest of them.

Anubias

Yes, that was me. I would have kept them, but am closing down all of my tanks for now at least.

Regards,

artw

Quote from: "Anubias"Yes, that was me. I would have kept them, but am closing down all of my tanks for now at least.
Regards,

Feels good eh. I only have 1 tank running now.

BigDaddy

Quote from: "artw"Feels good eh. I only have 1 tank running now.

BLASPHEMY!

mseguin

Sounds like the MTS is in remission, but it will come back.

ambushman2j

Quote from: "pegasus"
Well that depend on the size of your colony. A large colony of 20+ will do better by themselves but a smaller colony 8-14 could benefit in having other fish to break their chases. That's what I've done for my first 8 Kaiser. I will by adding the 5 new juveniles from the auctions in about 6 months, meanwhile they share their space with calvus, treto, lithobates, red empress & brichardi. My two other colonies of 10 & 18 are alone in their growing up tanks.

I had a near fatality when I had the 8 Kaiser alone. In just 4 hours, 2 dominant males went at it leaving one with tail, dorsal fin to the spine and a good part of his back in bare flesh. 3 weeks later, a vacation with the juvies and that fish had regain all his splendour.
So if someone bought 5 tropheus at the auction, you have only two choices... get 10 more or mix them with larger africans.

Here's a picture of the not so dominant Kaiser.

Well, right now I have in my 50 the little duboisi and 2 of those tetro frontosa looking things and a syno upsidedown cat together, and in my 77 I have my 7" front, the 2 moori's I picked up from auction and my aulonacara bi-color I bought from last years giant auction.. my tanks are a little bare and inactive right now, so I definately would want to get more fish, I would really like to get a colony of some kinda tropheus preferably duboisi but if they are too pricey that will not be possible.. so for now I will explore all my options see what's what, but in all likelyhood I will only be able to afford 8-10 at most then figure out what tank and what combinations I can go with as I am sure what's in the 77 will go with what's in the 50

pegasus

ambushman2j  
Moving all your fish from the 50 gal to the 77 gal is perfect. I know you will wait till they get to the right size before they get to meet your aulonacara bi-color.

The name is... Neolamprologus tretocephalus my fish.. my avatar... so get it right!  8)

328iGuy

Well, right now I have in my 50 the little duboisi and 2 of those tetro frontosa looking things and a syno upsidedown cat together, and in my 77 I have my 7" front, the 2 moori's I picked up from auction and my aulonacara bi-color I bought from last years giant auction.. my tanks are a little bare and inactive right now, so I definately would want to get more fish, I would really like to get a colony of some kinda tropheus preferably duboisi but if they are too pricey that will not be possible.. so for now I will explore all my options see what's what, but in all likelyhood I will only be able to afford 8-10 at most then figure out what tank and what combinations I can go with as I am sure what's in the 77 will go with what's in the 50

How many Duboisi did you get from the auction?

ambushman2j

Quote from: "pegasus"ambushman2j  
Moving all your fish from the 50 gal to the 77 gal is perfect. I know you will wait till they get to the right size before they get to meet your aulonacara bi-color.

The name is... Neolamprologus tretocephalus my fish.. my avatar... so get it right!  8)

Well I am not worried about the aulonacara causing problems it's the smallest fish in my 77.. it's only about 2" just about to be fully coloured up, I am conserned the frontosa will eat the duboisi

and yeah, that name is a mouthful never kept tang before so I gotta learn all these new names

and I am thinking I would rather have the large colony of tropheus in the 77 rather then the 50

ambushman2j

How many Duboisi did you get from the auction?

Just the 1.. there was 2 bags of 1 Duboisi, I won the first one and someone out bid me on the 2nd

squeeker

Hey, who won the killifish?  They were neat looking... what was their scientific name?

mseguin

I know they were aphyosemion, i believe the species name was calliurum, but may be wrong. There were also some clown killies. I wanted the Aphyo's bad, but it got too expensive for my budget.

squeeker

Yah, ditto.  Whoever brought those... if you have any more, pm me!

mseguin

Petsmart on Innes has Golden Wonder killies. Very nice fish, thinking of getting some myself.

mseguin

I did a quick check on the MTL site, and there seem to be quite a few members with killies, and quite a few species, so maybe at the MTL auction the selection will be better? Anybody who's been to the MTL auction, how is the killie selection usually?

Shouganai

how is the non-cichlid selection in general? hehe

pegasus

Most of us who went down last time were looking for africans and did not look much for anything else. There's a killies fish club in Montreal. The best person to answer these question would be Zapisto who sometime visite our forum.

frollo

As a first timer at the auction, I was pretty impressed esp to pull things together you need a considerable number of volunteers, volunteer time and as well as the logistics of organizing. Hats off to all of you!!! I did buy some items and wish I know when some other items were coming up, but I had to leave before my family sent out a missing person advisory.

FishPassion

Congrats to the club for putting on a great auction. It was my first and I was looking forward to going, the only problem I had was explaining my purchases to my wife when I got home, she got over it pretty quick. I have always wanted to go to a meeting or two but live to far away but after meeting so many fantastic people I will attend the occasional meeting. Again job well done..............
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

328iGuy

Quote from: "FishPassion"Congrats to the club for putting on a great auction. It was my first and I was looking forward to going, the only problem I had was explaining my purchases to my wife when I got home, she got over it pretty quick. I have always wanted to go to a meeting or two but live to far away but after meeting so many fantastic people I will attend the occasional meeting. Again job well done..............

We all go through that with the wife.....just always remember....keep this saying in the back of you're mind....

"It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...."

Say it over and over before purchasing something and will all turn out alright!  8)  :lol:

FishPassion

"It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...."

Now that is one piece of info I will never forget Thanks 328

Ummmm when is the Montreal Auction again??

LOL
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

328iGuy

Quote from: "FishPassion""It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...."

Now that is one piece of info I will never forget Thanks 328

Ummmm when is the Montreal Auction again??

LOL

:lol:

Nelson

"It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...."  :roll:

Man!!! Do I have that one down pat :wink:

328iGuy

Quote from: "Nelson""It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission...."  :roll:

Man!!! Do I have that one down pat :wink:

You're not the only one!  :lol:

frollo

Boy... make your wives sound like fish ogres. How about spending 1/3 of the time you spend doting on your aquarium with your wife? Maybe you won't have to ask for forgiveness as often.

blueturq

Quote from: "frollo"Boy... make your wives sound like fish ogres. How about spending 1/3 of the time you spend doting on your aquarium with your wife? Maybe you won't have to ask for forgiveness as often.

touchy ground.....  :?

mseguin

That's why I've gotten her involved. Her project is breeding bettas, and if we have to spend some money on her, then I definitely get to spend some on my fish, and alot of the stuff is mutual. :-)

FishPassion

My wife has gotten very involved in my tanks and we discuss the different possibilities and setups available. Hell she even went out and bought a cichlid that she really wanted.

Shes "HOOKED"
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

artw

or the easier way,  which I preferred for awhile, was not get a wife/girlfriend and then you dont even have the issue.  :D

328iGuy

Quote from: "artw"or the easier way,  which I preferred for awhile, was not get a wife/girlfriend and then you dont even have the issue.  :D

Agreed, but ones that have already passed that point, how do we get back there? HA!  :oops: