New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hello!

Started by Vanessa, June 08, 2009, 06:17:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanessa

I just thought I would introduce myself, since I'm new to the forum!

My name is Vanessa, and I just purchased a 33 gallon tank. I haven't set it up yet, although I have to admit that I'm really excited to do so! I decided to sign up on this forum since it seems to be a great place to learn, and chat with others.

I haven't really had a large aquarium before, so I have been reading up on it, trying to learn as much as I can. I hope you all will be willing to point me in the right direction when I need it! haha

Anyway, thanks for reading, and I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!  :)

Vanessa

garnpet

Welcome!  And ask any questions you have.  We are a pretty friendly bunch here.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

RoxyDog

Welcome abaord Vanessa.  Is there a certain kind of fish you're leaning toawrds putting in your new tank?
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

JD

Hi Vanessa, welcome to the site. Building a new tank is exciting, exciting for everyone!
You will find everyone here more than willing to help out with any questions or issues that may arise.
We have all had questions at one time or another, we are here to support you.
Just a small reminder, there are no stupid questions. Feel free to ask!
Again, welcome to the insanity!

Vanessa

Thank you all for the warm welcome!  :)

Honestly, I'm not quite sure what kind of fish I want yet. I was at Big Al's yesterday afternoon, and my only purchase was a book about how to set up aquariums! I spent a lot of time looking around at all the fish. They are all so beautiful, it's hard to choose! I'm really drawn to the bright vibrant colours, but I think I will stay away from the saltwater fish, for now at least. Any suggestions for me?

Thanks again!

Rybren

Try looking through the WetWebMedia.com website.  The interface is kind of hard to navigate through, but they have info on pretty much everything that you can think of (plus lots of stuff that you have never heard of).

I'd recommend going to one of the local fish stores over Big Al's for initial setup info.  They're more likely to provide you with pertinent and reliable info.
120G Reef

fischkopp

Welcome Vanessa! Good fish to start with are tetras; there are many them in different colors and they should be kept in small groups. Small dwarf cichlids have character, but are a bit more demanding. Dwarf guaramis are beautiful fish. Mollys and especially guppies are nice starter fish too. Stay away from bigger fish like angels, they will outgrow your tank soon. The most important thing with fishkeeping is patience from the beginning (I know, that's when it is the hardest). Make sure you know the fish before you get them, add them slowly to the tank and not all at once ... read up on cycling and the need of filtration, and don't hesitate to ask any question. :)

Here are some good reads: http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=35310.0
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Vanessa

Thank you for the warm welcome, and all the advice! I really appreciate it! I think I'm going to keep everything pretty simple to start. I still have to set up my tank, and then I'll look into actually getting some fish!

Does anyone know where I can get a decent stand, new or used, for my aquarium?

Thanks again!

Vanessa

garnpet

Quote from: Vanessa on June 09, 2009, 08:06:25 AM
Thank you for the warm welcome, and all the advice! I really appreciate it! I think I'm going to keep everything pretty simple to start. I still have to set up my tank, and then I'll look into actually getting some fish!

Does anyone know where I can get a decent stand, new or used, for my aquarium?

Thanks again!

Vanessa

Post an ad in our classified section...

http://ovas.ca/index.php?board=6.0
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><