New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

so..... any thoughts or suggestions?

Started by Lexx, January 30, 2015, 07:47:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

Quote from: lucius on February 07, 2015, 01:40:11 PM
Since your tank is only a 5.5g, maybe you can get your water from someone in Ottawa and store it in a Rubbermaid tote with a heater.  You can transport the water with one of those water cooler jugs.
Great idea, especially since he is in Ottawa frequently   ;)

mm

Charlie, what is the substrate in the tank? Perhaps that will help me understand how the KH and GH  would drop so much, so fast.

Lexx

I'm pretty sure it's Fluval Stratum, but I've been wrong before! Lol
It's small brown and roundish. Plus there is some sand in the front.

Lexx

OK testing straight tap water! Stay tuned for results!

Lexx

OK so tap water test
KH 13°
GH 340.1
PH is 7.8

charlie

Quote from: Lexx on February 07, 2015, 03:33:29 PM
I'm pretty sure it's Fluval Stratum, but I've been wrong before! Lol
It's small brown and roundish. Plus there is some sand in the front.
This time you are right :), it is stratum

Lexx

mm

Ok, so I now understand the drop in KH and GH. It is due to the fluval stratum. Given its chemical properties, fluval stratum will tend to lower your pH to a neutral/slightly acidic level by decreasing KH (and GH). However, your water is so hard that it will eventually exhaust the ability of the substrate to do so.

The pH level is still puzzling to me. What is the brand of your test kit? Is it a high-range pH test?

I agree with Lucius and Charlie that you are probably better off trying to get a different source of water - get water from Ottawa or buy distilled water to mix with a bit of your tap water. It would be better for the shrimp, the plants, and the Betta (if you get it).

Good luck!

Lexx

I have the API freshwater master test kit! So it has PH and high range PH. Which would make more sense? Finding someone to get water from and transporting it back or getting the distilled water and cutting my tap water? I got a Walmart less then 2min drive, and its a small tank?

mm

Since I would expect your pH to be around 8, you should try the high range pH. Try it and let us know what you get.

The decision regarding the water source is up to you. After filling it the first time you probably would only need to change one gallon or so every other week. Getting it from someone in Ottawa would mean that you would not have to worry about mixing the waters. There is the gas money but probably you could get the water for free. If you decide to buy distilled water, 18L (4.75 gallons) costs around $5 in Loblaws (plus a $10 deposit for the container).You would need something like 1 part tap water to 4 parts distilled water. That should give you a KH around 2-3 degrees and a GH around 68ppm (4 degrees). The fluval substrate would decrease these further.You would probably end up with a pH around neutral.

lucius

Quote from: Lexx on February 07, 2015, 05:34:58 PMWhich would make more sense? Finding someone to get water from and transporting it back or getting the distilled water and cutting my tap water? I got a Walmart less then 2min drive, and its a small tank?

You might as well start off with buying your water for now and then see if you can get a free source when the weather gets warmer.  You can also collect rainwater in the warmer months.

Lexx

That is the high range test results!
As for the water I'll have to check the price to measure which way I'm going to go.

mm

Lexx

No I am not, nor do I plan on it. For now anyways.

48hr readings
KH 4°
GH 179
PH 7.8

Lexx

How do you all clean your test tubes? As for using the High range PH test, i have been. Since the regular PH test was at the max when i tested i went a head and tested the high range. So the 7.8PH is the high range test results! I'm still a bit confused as to why it hasn't dropped at all yet? Maybe tonights test will bring different results?

mm

You can just rinse the test tube and the cap in running tap water. Keep us informed on those results.

Lexx

Alright tonights results are
KH 2
GH 179
PH 7.8

mm

At a KH of 2 (assuming that all the buffering is coming from carbonates) i would expect your pH to be now around 7.4-7.5. You should now try the lower end ph test kit.

It could be that your water has high level os phosphates or other buffer (not uncommon in groundwater) and that is what is breaking the KH-pH (and CO2) relationship. That could explain why your pH seems "stuck" at 7.8.

Lexx

7.4 is the low end of the high range PH test. 7.6 is the top end of the regular PH test. Its seems odd that they overlap.
Are there tests I can get for phosphates or these other possible buffers?

Lexx

OK so found phosphate tests on BA's website. What about any other things I should test for? Or should I stop worrying so much and just get on with it?