New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Rapid LED

Started by RossW, March 14, 2010, 08:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

I'm ready to order but would prefer waiting out for white and blue XPGs with lenses.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

JetJumper

If we are going to go for XPG's we might as well wait for the blue XPG's as well.  Its only a matter of time before they release them as well.  This way here you don't have to have different drivers (One for your blues and a different model for the whites)

The XPG's run at 1500mA vs 700mA to the XRE's. 

XPG's have a 125 Degree Viewing angle, vs the XRE's at 90degrees.

So if you take that 125degrees, narrow it down to say 40 or 60 degrees with optics, I think we will have one powerful flashlight for our tanks!  hehe.
If you go to this link and go to page 5 you will see that after a 40degree spread, light intensity really starts to drop off.  So if you take all the extra light from 125 - 40 (or 60) = 85 (or 65) you will have this light (for the most part) redirected into the tank and be more usable.
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLampXP-G.pdf

All in all I think you might see more then a 30% increase of PAR depending on optics.

XP-G's are now listed.
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-52/CREE-XP-dsh-G-R5-Cool/Detail  (Looks to be MAX $2.00 more for them)

I think I might wait for the XP-G's in blue.  More power the better with LED's in my opinion.  So if we are just a few months away.  I can wait.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

JetJumper

One thing I just noticed, is the driver rapid LED has for the XP-G's are only 1050mA and not 1500ish.  So the 30% gain in PAR would be closer to accurate then my thinking in the last post. 

If they can get a Dimmable driver that will do closer to 1500, maybe 1200, that would be perfect.  I don't want to overdrive them and the XR-E's are rated up to 1000.  So 1200 or 1250 would be a perfect mA for the XPG's I think.

Severum

Looks like the 1050mA driver for the XPGs is in line with Cree's recommendation for LED lifetime on page 7 of your first link. The lifetime of theses guys is also not the typical 50,000 hour number that is tossed around when talking about LEDs.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

RossW

Their dimmable driver goes to 1300 mA.  IMHO, for the extra $14 I think dimmable is the only way to go.  It will allow you to mix the colours to your taste, and back off the lights if you are burning your corals and slowly ramp up if  you like.

Quote from: JetJumper on March 24, 2010, 12:19:03 PM
One thing I just noticed, is the driver rapid LED has for the XP-G's are only 1050mA and not 1500ish.  So the 30% gain in PAR would be closer to accurate then my thinking in the last post. 

If they can get a Dimmable driver that will do closer to 1500, maybe 1200, that would be perfect.  I don't want to overdrive them and the XR-E's are rated up to 1000.  So 1200 or 1250 would be a perfect mA for the XPG's I think.

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on March 24, 2010, 12:49:57 PM
Their dimmable driver goes to 1300 mA.  IMHO, for the extra $14 I think dimmable is the only way to go.  It will allow you to mix the colours to your taste, and back off the lights if you are burning your corals and slowly ramp up if  you like.

perfect, I didn't notice that they did the 1300mA :D

So, just need blue LED's and optics now. 

RossW

Quote from: JetJumper on March 24, 2010, 12:53:04 PM
So, just need blue LED's and optics now. 

Has anyone heard any rumours about when we might see blue XP-Gs?

I guess we could always drop an email to CREE?!?

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on March 24, 2010, 12:55:19 PM
Has anyone heard any rumours about when we might see blue XP-Gs?

I guess we could always drop an email to CREE?!?

I sent them an e-mail earlier today.  Just waiting on reply.

mikerobart

If I could convince myself I could make a *nice* diy fixture suitable for hanging over a rimless tank I think I'd be on board. I like the idea of being able to independently dim all bulbs and control colour temp.

Aquaillumination & pacific sun still seems a little pricey,ecoxotic too bulky, evils par 38 bulbs would need too many, maxspect don't trust yet...

Severum

Mike, if you can't pull off a nice fixture I'm confiscating your iron ring!
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

mikerobart

I'm chemical Vafa ! Seriously though, do you think these could turn out sharp enough to hang on an open tank ?

winston199

what is the expected final cost to put a fixture together

leds
heat sink
casing
wiring
misc parts

Severum

As long as you find the right frame or fixture to house them in who cares how sloppy the wires, soldering or build is.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

JetJumper

Quote from: winston199 on March 24, 2010, 06:20:13 PM
what is the expected final cost to put a fixture together

leds
heat sink
casing
wiring
misc parts

I was calculating my fixture at $350 (Give or take) to have it running in a nice casing (Old Dell LCD Monitor case).  Now that my tank cracked, I don't know.  Have to rethink things.

Rybren

do you think these could turn out sharp enough to hang on an open tank

I saw some made with a black acrylic case and legs.  It looked great.

Another option is to gut an old fixture and use that as a case.
120G Reef

mikerobart

These are pretty industrial but I like the look:
http://www.reefaddicts.com/content.php/70-LED-pendent-build?#comments

good write up as well

JetJumper

Tip:

http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6717

Just incase people didn't notice that the Meanwells Power more then required and will blow the CREE's if not powered down.

RossW

Hopefully we get the white and blue XP-G's and don't have to worry.

RossW

Quote from: JetJumper on March 24, 2010, 01:05:44 PM
I sent them an e-mail earlier today.  Just waiting on reply.

Have you heard anything back on the availability of Royal Blue XP-Gs?

I have been told that "that there are no immediate plans to release the XP-G in Royal Blue".

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on March 31, 2010, 02:02:27 PM
Have you heard anything back on the availability of Royal Blue XP-Gs?

I have been told that "that there are no immediate plans to release the XP-G in Royal Blue".

No, I never heard a reply from CREE.  I am sure they will release them eventually, but for now.. I guess it doesn't seem like it?