New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Way back OVAS President

Started by ljtiggs, September 15, 2007, 09:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljtiggs

I just joined your website's membership today and as a one time president of OVAS, I would like to say that from what I see here, OVAS is still as great a fish club as it was back in the late Seventies and early Eighties. The only thing that I have not seen or heard (since leaving Ottawa in 1985) is that the club is putting on a fish show. As a long time fish breeder (mainly livebearers and killies), i hope that some of you old timers may know who I am.  Here is something else to ponder - Capital City Aquarium club and Greenbelt Killifish Society these were other fish clubs in Ottawa during the seventies and eighties. Hope to hear from some of the old timers.  :)

babblefish1960

Welcome back, I suspect we have some keeners here that would love to chat with you about the state of the club during your presence and involvement in those days. We are trying to restore some of the history of the club, and of course ran into what we affectionately refer to as the "dark ages".  We have almost nothing in print from that period, perhaps you would like to expound. I myself and dreadfully curious about the period in which the club was heavily involved in attempting to help start a public aquarium in the city.  The details are eluding us all with the loss of so many folks such as yourself.  So...welcome again, and expect a barrage of questions from a myriad of people here.

ljtiggs

I left Ottawa in 1983, just before the public aquarium project came about. I was involved in group that put on the COAOC convention in 1976 but I was not the president at that time. The main thing that my family and I was mainly involved with was the annual sanctioned show and auction and many of the old folks still talk about them today. I think that the club has not put one on since I left.

I am wondering if anyone knows who I am.

PS. I still have many of th awards that the family won during my time with OVAS. I am still heavily involved with the hobby.

babblefish1960

It would be interesting to know a bit of the people who were involved in trying to help develop the public aquarium.

I am amazed that you got those CAOAC people to come this far past the Big Smoke, Toronto after all is the centre of the universe, any stories to tell about how that went?

It is good to hear that you are still involved in the hobby, that is always a mystery how we come and stay.

I would be very curious to see some photos of these awards from OVAS, something we are looking at restoring perhaps.

The semantics of holding a sanctioned show is something that appears daunting from this side, how did you plan and carry it out?

Hello again by the way, thanks for coming back to visit. :)

ljtiggs

The way it was done is to get people to go to other clubs' events and they will usual return the favour and come to yours. I have won CAOAC's Champion of Champions twice and the first time I won it I was living in Ottawa.  I will forward some pictures of the awards in the near future.

I come to Ottawa several times a year as my children still live in Ottawa.

Still waiting to hear if anyone knows who I am.

babblefish1960

Sorry I don't remember you at all, I am sure I would have remembered a nice looking cat as that avatar, that could type so well.  Actually, there are only some members these days who have been here that long, perhaps you could pop by for our meeting Monday evening, I am sure it would be old home week for you. ;)

ljtiggs

I would love to come to your meeting on Monday that is if you are going to fly me in from Hamilton, Ontario. Thanks for the invite. BEG

babblefish1960

Well...our previous auction chair and secretary and bottle washer and whatever else he has done, Artw, is learning to fly, an aeroplane actually and I know he is looking for passengers for his solo flights.  It is a wee plane, it might go that far, I see too you are in the even Bigger Smoke than Toronto.  I am sure he could get you back there within the week. :)

ljtiggs

Just for your information, LJ is a Maine Coon (Master of Whizbang Cattery)

Does OVAS have any livebearer people, who use the Flashchat service. I would sure like to talk to them. I have raised many different livebearers over the years and I am just a couple short of getting my Century Award from ALA.

I would sure like to hear from some of the members of OVAS.

ljtiggs

I will visit your Flashchat tomorrow night around 8:00 PM. and I would like to talk with people who are interested in livebearers and killifish. - LJ Tiggs :D

babblefish1960

Very well ljtiggs, we shall have a mini flashchat about livebearers and killifishes.  See you there! :)

edit: there is now a notice on the home page for everyone to see and know to be there.

Sue

Hi tiggs,
I don't go back that far in OVAS. Don and I did meet a past president of OVAS a few times in the late 80's while attending Octoberfish auctions in KW. Maybe that was you?
Anyway welcome to OVAS forum!

matt

Quote from: ljtiggs on September 19, 2007, 12:07:31 AM
I will visit your Flashchat tomorrow night around 8:00 PM. and I would like to talk with people who are interested in livebearers and killifish. - LJ Tiggs :D

THe home page says the chat is tonight, but LJ Tiggs is saying he'll be there tomorrow night. Don't know who I should believe anymore. :P

By the way...Welcome to the forum. Enjoy your stay.

PaleoFishGirl

matt....  he posted that yesterday (check the timestamp)

matt

Oops...my bad  :-[ . I just saw today as the time stamp, not the 12:07 AM part.

ljtiggs

I missed alot of you on your chat session - Hope the club will let me do it again some other time when people are not so busy - Thank you - Brian