New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

The small tank that thinks it's big

Started by nanogal, February 28, 2008, 12:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanogal

Hello everybody,
I'm brand new to OVAS and have just rediscovered my interest in aquariums after a few years of being unable to have a tank.  I am a student still, so my new tank is modest, but is doing very well and is taking over my life!
I started a little 5 gal eclipse hex in November and decided to make the most of it.  I's heavily planted and contains within its six walls a plethora of life, something I had never experienced before!  I had never had success with plants before, so this is all new and exciting.
I have
-hygrophylia polysperma
-java fern
-what I believe to be an aponogeton
-some kind of sword plant
-duckweed
-java moss
-5 glowlight tetras
-7 white clouds
-a chocolate mystery snail
-an oto (his friend didn't make it past day 1)
-a ghost shrimp (who is BERRIED!?!)
-some cherry shrimp that live in the hole in the driftwood
-1 betta that I couldn't bear to leave in a bowl, so now he lives in the tank

Now before I get attacked for overcrowding, I really don't think anybody in there is unhappy.  Everybody gets along great and looks healthy and vibrant, and all creatures were added slowly.  Hopefully you guys will agree that the fish I chose (except for the oddball betta) are all peaceful and small and therefore, everything should be ok.  Furthermore, the tank is heavily planted.  Please feel free to comment!

dan2x38

Great to meet ya and welcome. Things can be fine for sometime. But than make to big a water change and presto all Hell can break loss. With such a small tank it is a precarious eco-balance. The giant auction is this Sunday I bet there will be tons of cheap deals to add an extra room for the gang.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

nanogal

Hey!  Thanks for the reply!  I am looking forward to the auction, but... I rent a room in a house.  No space for the twenty five million tanks I want! 
I must ask, I do 50% water changes weekly, and so far, everything has been ok.  Is this going to be a no no when the tank is more mature? 
The only other thing I could do is pull out the betta if you guys really think this is overcrowded, but having kept bettas in jars and such as a child, I don't really want to because it's quite a sight to see a happy betta fanning himself out on the plants and generally having a good life in an interesting environment.  He looks like he thinks he's in heaven!!  Big contrast with those poor miserable guys in stores...

Vizerdrix

Welcome to the group!

I agree with you about your betta: I have mine in a 5g, which isn't as heavily planted as yours but still has lots of plants, with two ghost shrimps, an oto, and lotsa Malaysian Trumpet Snails.

I only do a 25% water change a week (approximately), and haven't had any problems, knock on wood.  If you're worried, you could always do several smaller water changes over the week.  5-10% every other day.  Not that much work, considering it's such a small tank.

Good luck, and I'm happy to hear you re-found the joy of being an aquarist! :D

dan2x38

The major issue with bigger water changes in a small system is if the water is a little heavy in say NO3 or a little NH3 present then you dump in the clean water it is a sudden swing. The pH could have also changed a little too. The fish are accustom to the water they are in. A little extra food decaying or a few extra plant leaves decaying can change the water in a week in such a small eco-system. Viz's idea is a good one small changes more often.
Voltaire:

nanogal

Sure!
I don't mind even doing daily tiny water changes as it is as easy as syphoning into a pitcher and refilling with the pitcher.  Thanks for the suggestion ::)

dan2x38

Voltaire:

Laura

Welcome.
It sounds like a pretty tank.  Did you put a twisty energy saver bulb in for better lighting?  A well planted 5 gallon can look great. 

I agree it's overstocked, and water quality will be the issue.  To accommodate, I like the earlier suggestions of daily water changes to stay on top of it (and resist the urge to put anything else in!).

A traditional 10 gallon isn't a big tank either and would go along way to helping with the bioload.  They often come up quite inexpensively at auction and on the forum (plus it will give you more room for planting  ;))

Don't forget to give your snail cooked veggies like dandelion, romaine lettuce and bok choy.  Many a snail has starved as folks haven't known to feed them.  Applesnail.net is a great resource for all things snaily if you want to read more on them.

And again, welcome!
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

nanogal

This is turning out to be a great thread!  Ok:
-I have three different treatments for my water.  The first thing I bought was this cheap jungle stuff, it's an iron/potassium supplement that also dechlorinates, but it really promoted beard algae growth, so I got aquasafe.  Then, as my tank was cycling (with the glowlights and nothing else, but still probably too much in retrospect) my ammonia spiked and I bought Prime so my fishies wouldn't suffer. 
-My snail went through a big growth spurt when I got it, and eats algae wafers and shrimp pellets.  He used to eat a lot, but has slowed down considerably.  I don't know why, but I have read Applesnail.net extensively and it seems that it is normal for snails to have cycles of growth and then relative inactivity.  His shell was deteriorating (my water is about 6.5) so I bought some liquid calcium for him, and he seems ok, no actual holes, just the older portions of his shell are lacking the protein layer and are white from him re-calcifying it?  I know there was a calcium deficiency in there because the hygro was growing twisted leaves.  That problem is gone now, and I use flourish instead of that silly cheap stuff I tried to get away with at first. 
-I have never tried fresh/blanched veggies, because I figure the algae wafers were good enough.  The snail used to zoom in on them, but now, they are mostly eaten by the glowlights who seem to love them.  And the ghost shrimp eats it too.  I break them up because nobody in there can consume a whole one!  But don't worry, I won't let my beloved snail starve!  (I made that mistake with all other snails I have ever had before there were as many ressources about aquariums as there are now and lfs told you they ate algae)