New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

good weather is almost here - Plantaholics wake up!

Started by charlie, April 27, 2014, 08:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

To all planted tank hobbyist & even those who are thinking of doing a planted tank.
There is a group of folks that enjoy getting together  & sharing experiences , exchanging info on the new ideas etc , while doing this we have fun, so my call is for the regular suspects to start planning such an event so we can meet others with the same common interest for a session of fun & knowledge, remember all is welcomed.
Perhaps a little workshop on doing a dirted tank by one of our more experienced dirted tank keepers?.
Lets get Plantaholics # ? going.
Errol

daworldisblack

Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

fischkopp

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

;D ;D
Hmm at this rate with only 3 of us , I can host it in my matchbox  :P

exv152

Quote from: charlie on April 29, 2014, 11:48:38 AM
;D ;D
Hmm at this rate with only 3 of us , I can host it in my matchbox  :P

Matchbox it is then, and make that four.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

lucius

wolfiewill

I'm in, too. And I really like your idea of having an experienced dirted tank hobbyest give a talk.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

missavgp

Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

charlie

Looks like we have exceeded the max. allowable capacity of the matchbox, any one willing to host & when?
Also any of our Dirted tank hobbyist interested in sharing you know how at this gathering?

ajm1961

Is the Legion Hall available, like last time? The beer was cheap!
I might join in as well... I can use all the tips I can get!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

wolfiewill

I can host here again but I'm limited to the dates. How does Saturday, June 7th sound?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

charlie

Tentative for me.
I was hoping wrm130 or Angelcraze would offer to show us how a dirt tank is done, even though the likely hood of me doing one is never ,I`m always ready to learn.

wrm130

Sorry, personally I don't like "public" speaking and this topic has also gotten a little 'heated' making the idea even less appealing.

I am saddened to hear, Charlie, that you are set on never even trying it. 

charlie

Quote from: wrm130 on May 07, 2014, 09:15:42 PM
Sorry, personally I don't like "public" speaking and this topic has also gotten a little 'heated' making the idea even less appealing.

I am saddened to hear, Charlie, that you are set on never even trying it. 
I`m not sure it got heated, what I interpret is passionate hobbyist getting over zealous in their preferred choice of substrate .

I think my words were in all likelihood I probably would not do soil or to that effect, I made that choice well over 10 years ago, I read Walstad  book, pondered on it , did my research & concluded it does not fit my style, very much like each hobbyist choose XYZ.
If you look at my tanks , it`s obvious & known to several that know me  a scape struggles to stay for 6 months or less, I enjoy rescaping/ changing things.
Anyway thanks for responding, I will try & get someone else.
Errol

exv152

I didn't perceive it as being heated. In fact, I enjoy in-depth discussions about my favourite niche in the hobby, and don't mean or take offence to anything. I also don't judge other planted tank folks for their scapes or choices of substrate if it differs from mine (albeit not that much because we're talking about commercial mineralized dirt vs MG organic potting mix). In my book, if you like planted tanks, you are more than welcome to join the plant-talk and plantaholics. I encourage you to overcome your shyness and just give it a try. You'll be surprised how much you'll get out of the discussions with other hobbyists and enjoy making new friends, this goes for novice and experts alike. This hobby is already divided enough between saltwater, African cichlids, planted tanks, etc etc, it doesn't have to be more divided.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Ok. Let's confirm the date and time: June 7th, 2:00 'till whenever, my place. Please let me know who's coming so I can pm each of you on address and contact info. We'll have some snacks for later in the afternoon, I'll get some beer and wine. Cheers.

wolfiewill

zolta

As you know Greg I am in  Although probably not exactly at 2.  I can share if you like my 18 month low tech dirt 10 gallon tank experience. 
65 gal tall planted

Dxpert

I'm in. Will you have your new tank setup by then? ;)

fischkopp

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

daworldisblack

There as well! Looking forward to no trudging through the snow this time round!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

wolfiewill

Ok, we're on for Saturday, June 7. At this point I count 10! That's great. We'll go from 2 'till 7ish. I'll supply some soft drinks, coffee, tea, beer and some snacks about 4 or so. I have daworldisblack, charlie, dxpert, fischkopp, zolta, gotfish, exv152, amj1961, missavgp and lucius. Is there anyone else I forgotten please let me know. If anyone wants wine, please let me know and I will have that as well. I will pm everyone for address and telephone numbers later this weekend. Looking forward to this. It's always fun. Cheers to all.

Dxpert

I'll bring party mix - it's not a party without party mix. Thanks Greg! I'm looking forward to it.

lucius

wolfiewill

Yes. We're still on. Sending all a pm now. Did you not get the earlier pm?

lucius

No, I didn't receive anything so that's why I thought I would ask.

wolfiewill

Quote from: lucius on June 03, 2014, 06:35:33 PM
No, I didn't receive anything so that's why I thought I would ask.

I sent another pm to you today. Did you get that?

lucius

Quote from: wolfiewill on June 03, 2014, 09:45:03 PM
I sent another pm to you today. Did you get that?

Yep, I received the one from today.  Thanks.

wolfiewill

Shawn84

Would love to come but will be in Toronto. Hope I will make it out to the next one

Shawn
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

wolfiewill

Quote from: zolta on May 23, 2014, 04:40:22 PM
As you know Greg I am in  Although probably not exactly at 2.  I can share if you like my 18 month low tech dirt 10 gallon tank experience.

That would be great. Don't worry about a start time. People will be dropping in and out throughout. Cheers.

charlie

Quote from: Got Fish? on May 19, 2014, 10:10:04 PM
Im in but after 5.

Heard Got fish is giving out some surprises after 5.00.
see you there

wolfiewill

Oh? Gee, I hadn't heard. That's great David!!!! Can I have some too?  :P