New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to posting on here

Started by Howl, December 23, 2021, 11:49:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howl

Hello,

It was suggested that I write an intro here, so here it goes...

Wife bought me a 20g tank for our 6 month wedding anniversary, she said it would be good for me to pick up a new hobby.  I had some experience with fish in the past, so this wasn't too strange of an endeavor. 

Fast forward about 1.5 years and we have roughly 237gallons around the house, with roughly 180 of that in our basement (I built a fish room around her yoga area, she likes it). 

I've discovered that what I enjoy the most, other than watching the tanks and their contents, is the plants that can be grown. It allows me to "landscape" throughout the year. I've been trying to breed white cloud mountain minnows for a few months now and can't seem to get it to happen.  Perhaps they're eating their eggs, I am not sure yet.  Lately I've also gotten a hold of some pea puffers and enjoy their personalities very much.  Breeding a variety of worms and other things that can be fed to the fish has also been interesting.

In any event, I'm grateful for this forum and its participants for the support over the last 2 years.  Looking forward to more sharing and learning in 2022.

Happy holidays everyone!

Dxpert

Welcome! Happy holidays. What?s your favourite tank? What do you have stocked in it?

Howl

Quote from: Dxpert on December 24, 2021, 06:16:21 AM
Welcome! Happy holidays. What?s your favourite tank? What do you have stocked in it?

Favorite tank is a 30g long with the wcmm.  It is loaded with epiphytes (a variety of Anubias) and a couple of crypts (greens and bronze), rocks and driftwood.  There is a lonely bucephalandra in there too, but I'm beginning to lose hope for the little guy.  The white cloud mountain minnow is a humble fish, nothing to write home about really, but these guys shoal and add just the right amount of movement to the landscape.  They are also an easy fish to keep, not very picky when it comes to things like temperature and diets.

Happy holidays to you as well!