New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help ID please

Started by DonaldMcL, May 30, 2011, 06:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaldMcL

Found this little guy crawling around the leather coral I picked up yesterday, don't know if he's been the tank this whole time or not.

Malyon18

Looks like some kind of nudibranch I think
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

DonaldMcL

Yeah, thats what I'm thinking too... just cant figure out which =D

NjOyRiD

Az will tell you for sure
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

Greatwhite

Looks a lot like one I had a few years back... He was a Zoa eater.  Fortunately, there was only one for me, but USUALLY if you see one visible - there's 20 more hiding and loads of eggs to deal with.

DonaldMcL

After seeing it all day... and reading your post I decided to be proactive and get rid of it.

Now it can't be found anywhere... joy! If someone can ID it 100% and determine it's reef safe before I find it... all the power to them =D hehe

Greatwhite

Make a mental note - whenever you see a hitchhiker and are unsure of its intentions - pull it out, and then get an ID.  You'll have an easier time getting a good picture of it, which makes it easier to ID.  Then - if it's bad, it's easy to dispose of. ;)

redbelly

Chances are that its a nudi branch that eats the coral it was found on.

Thats why you should always dip your corals when you buy them!
There are SOOOO many bad hitch hichers that you can pick up.... and you just cant expect any store to be 100% free of pests, not with their turn over from so many diff suppliers.

There are lots of interesting ornamental nudi's, none of which have a good track recond for survival in the aquarium.