New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

JetJumper's Tank Build

Started by JetJumper, March 02, 2010, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

Brent Shaver

Incredible documentation..  Your detail and the over all project is amazing.

Thanks for putting in the time to share this with us.

Truly Amazing.
Keep up the great work.
Brent

JetJumper

From another post on here:

Quote from: JetJumper on March 12, 2010, 08:08:38 PM
You got me thinking and I found something in the junk pile at work today that would work nicely.

This is the casing of a 22" (DEAD) Dell Monitor.  It would look perfect for a casing for a LED fixture that would cover my tank that I am building.  If I get some spare cash down the road, I will purchase some LEDS and use this to make an entire LED Lamp for my tank. :D

So eventually keep your eye out for this project :O
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

salvini55

thats pretty creative! would make a sweet diy led

ciaus

JetJumper, If you decide to turn that Flat Panel monitor shroud into an LED hosing that is going to be very slick.  I would make one suggestion...remove the four letter word from the front of the bezel..no sense in making your fish and plants ill by exposing them to that abuse...   ::)

Ciaus

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on March 12, 2010, 09:29:06 PM
JetJumper, If you decide to turn that Flat Panel monitor shroud into an LED hosing that is going to be very slick.  I would make one suggestion...remove the four letter word from the front of the bezel..no sense in making your fish and plants ill by exposing them to that abuse...   ::)
Ciaus

HAHA!  So true!

Stussi613

Quote from: ciaus on March 12, 2010, 09:29:06 PM

Ciaus

JetJumper,

I was going to tell you that if you actually got it working I'd love to have some pictures of the finished product.  I'm sure our program managers and marketing department would love to see how creatively you recycled that monitor case...considering how committed we are to being the greenest IT company on the planet.

Cheers.

I haz reef tanks.

JetJumper

Quote from: Stussi613 on March 13, 2010, 03:10:49 PM
JetJumper,

I was going to tell you that if you actually got it working I'd love to have some pictures of the finished product.  I'm sure our program managers and marketing department would love to see how creatively you recycled that monitor case...considering how committed we are to being the greenest IT company on the planet.

Cheers.

Don't worry, there will be lots of pictures! :D

On a side note, I need peoples advice.  I am getting my tank hopefully started in the next week or two, but before I do this I want some advice.  I recently knew someone who was in Florida and they drove back.  I asked them kindly to grab me a pail of sand (30 pounds roughly).  Whats everyones opinion on beech sand from Florida?  I have a picture here of what it looks like.  a Bunch of shells in it.  I have Aragonite Sand as well (60 pounds of it) http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/dry_aragonite.html (Sugar Sized) that I would be mixing with the Florida sand. 

Good Idea?  Bad Idea?  Opinions?  (I am going to thoroughly clean / bake (90 Degrees F in the oven for 15+ minutes) / then boiling water over the Florida sand to kill anything in it.

Not the best image as it was taken with a phone.

groupie02

Quote from: JetJumper on March 15, 2010, 09:22:47 PM
(I am going to thoroughly clean / bake (90 Degrees F in the oven for 15+ minutes) / then boiling water over the Florida sand to kill anything in it.
Why get it if you're going to kill what's in it?  Is it so nice looking that you absolutely want that type of sand?
Just curious.

JetJumper

not 100% tied to the looks. its more for filler.  I have a couple bags of Sugar Grain stuff I am going to use as well.

salvini55

IMO, 60lbs is enough for your tank... unless you want a DSB

JetJumper

Update:  Tap water sucks.  haha

So I got some B-Day money which let me go out and buy a new RO/DI unit.  wahoo!  One step closer to the final goal!

I have yet to still clean up the hose's but for now, its running and running well!

Here is the TDS of the water BEFORE filtering

Here is the after!

Now I just need to finish some work on my stand, clean the tank's and start filling!!!!!!!!  I am getting really excited to almost have a tank full of water! :D

salvini55

A sweet b day gift to say the least

SWFitzy

this is my first birthday with a sw setup. This year im taking advantage of my bday cuz i am currently buying all the goodies for my new 70gallon build. My father is making me a 34 gallon sump tank, and as well as a dolphin return pump....  comon april 7, come quicker...LOL
Happy Bday Jetjumper....
I've been planning my build in my head for months now, I was waitin for the funds. Jetjumper your build is amazing, Giving me all kinds of tips and ideas. Thanks

JetJumper

Well, getting ready for water!

Just waiting on money to get some rock / heater next!  Anyone want to donate $300+ to me?:P  hahaha!

More to come later!

JetJumper

The excitement has begun.

The first trickle of water!  March 19th, 2010 @ 6:39PM

Pipe running from the filter to the saltwater tank.

March 20th, 2010 @ 9:13AM - This is how much water got put into the tank from 6:40PM to 9:13AM

Water being made into Saltwater! :D

Powerheads get turned on in the tank to start mixing everything.  March 20th, 2010 @ 7:00PM (Water level higher!)

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the complete system running (Just waiting on water to finish filtering!)

JetJumper

Great.. Worst possible thing happened.. Can anyone guess?  Yup, the bottom of the tank cracked.. Amazing.. what an amazing day.. Anyone have a similar designed tank?

I think it was the age of the tank.  Because there was no random pressure in random spots.. I had it full already before for atleast 2+ weeks on the stand and it was fine..

salvini55

ouch that blows! sorry man. was it level?

JetJumper

yeah :(  Atleast the leak was into the sump, so the water stayed in the loop! :)

Now time to look for a new tank.  (Atleast this one was free right?)  I liked that deal I saw a while ago for 180Gallon for $200.  Anymore of those kicking around?

dakrazyone

that sucks bro..... i'm building my new setup soon.... hope it's not a chain reaction :(