New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

JetJumper's Tank Build

Started by JetJumper, March 02, 2010, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Severum

What terrible luck! At least you learned a whole bunch and made some neat stuff in the process.

Its funny. Your looking to upgrade your tank and you didn't even get 1 fish in it! I think thats a record!
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

ciaus

Chris, that really sucks the big nozzle, man.  Are you going ro have to change stands and everything?

Ciaus

JetJumper

The odds of finding a tank that is 22" by 27" is pretty slim I think.  If I find something that is 36" x 22" or 20" or 18" or something like that, I can remove the side where the shelves were and use the stand like that.

Who knows.. so depressing.. haha  Time to hit the bottle of Vodka!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

mikerobart

The bottom looks like no plastic bracing or trim... Just glass ? Normally a sheet of foam of some kind is reccomended under these kids if bottoms to eliminate pressure points from any slight unevenness in wood etc. Might not have been cause but possible that despite being level there was a small ridge or bump in wood making pressure point on botom.

Good luck finding a new tank for your build !

Rybren

Well this news really stinks.

Good luck in your quest for a new tank.
120G Reef

JetJumper

Screw it, I am not letting this get me down. 

Mission: Head to Hardware Store

Objective: Purchase Epoxy

Goal: Seal leak!

So, I am going to make a 0.5" epoxy covering over the entire bottom of the tank on the inside.  On the outside, I am going to make a thinner layer, but reinforce with FibreGlass.  For the amount of work that has gone into this build already, I am not going to let this take me out. 

It shall be reborn again!

(Picture attached of crack)

With regards to the pressure point, I think that was the case.  Even though I attempted to sand the stand so it was even across, I must not have done a 100% job.  Before I fill it again, I am going to find something to place there to avoid this.

So far, the project isn't dead.. yet!

[attachment deleted by admin]

93GTCANADA

just get a new tank that sized built.

JetJumper

Quote from: 93GTCANADA on March 23, 2010, 09:41:48 AM
just get a new tank that sized built.

Trust me, if I had the budget for that I would.  but I don't.

ordi260

Oh sorry to hear that...it waxs going very well!  I hope you have great success in re-sealing it!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

93GTCANADA

My ocd would jump in if I resealed a tank. I would be at work or somewhere and always have my tank might be leaking right now on the back of my mind hehe. The reason I will never use a sump  :-[

SWFitzy

sorry to hear about your tank project, that is a bummer. With the amazing progress you already have, it will be notime until your back where you were.

As tanks with sumps. If the drainage and return are build properly then there should never be an issue

JetJumper

We are not out of the game yet!

$50.00 for a new piece of glass which will be in in 2 weeks time.  Special order, but hey, what the hell.  The tank will be completely pulled apart and resiliconed with new.  (not by myself, having it done by a glass company)  So hopefully progress can continue in a few weeks.  I can stop crying now! :D

ordi260

Very nice to hear your back on track!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Brent Shaver

Nice to see you found a reasonable fix that wont have you down too long.  I have enjoyed your build and look forward to phase 2..smiles

JetJumper

So in order to get out of the depressed state of my tank cracking, I had a little fun yesterday.

Here is the crack for anyone who wants to see what should NEVER happen!

Saving as much water as possible.

And here is the fun part!

Once the cloudyness clears, I will take better pictures.  I figured I might as well try the LED light on here.  I picked up some live rock and we shall see if there might be some cool corals that form!  Who knows!

Current Tank setup is:

25ish gallon
Korillia 3
Protein Skimmer
about 50lb of rock (Seeded with 11lb of live rock)
10 snails
10 hermits
and so far a little tiny starfish that came off the live rock! (Neat little surprise!)

JetJumper

Night shot (Still waiting for the dust to settle.. but its getting there)

johnrt

Great to see you are back on track.

$50 for 4 square feet of glass is a great price. Is that installed? What glass company and what thickness of glass?

===

We are not out of the game yet!

$50.00 for a new piece of glass which will be in in 2 weeks time.  Special order, but hey, what the hell.  The tank will be completely pulled apart and resiliconed with new.  (not by myself, having it done by a glass company)  So hopefully progress can continue in a few weeks.  I can stop crying now! :D
[/quote]

JetJumper

Quote from: johnrt on March 28, 2010, 08:32:12 AM
Great to see you are back on track.

$50 for 4 square feet of glass is a great price. Is that installed? What glass company and what thickness of glass?

Thats not installed, the installed price was going to be the cost of a new tank, so I am going to do something most people don't recommend and silicone the new piece of glass to the old.  The old is still in there extremely tight, and structurally sound so I hope there isn't a problem.  This time, FOAM! on the bottom of the tank will be used.  I am not making that mistake twice.  :'(

Also on a side note, I have my 25/30gallon up and running, and I need to know what to feed the tank.  Its a light feeding for the crabs and snails, but over all what do people do to feed their tanks?  How often?  Maybe I should contact Seabellys guy!

JetJumper

Found some odd things in the tank.  Please help Identify / Confirm

Bristleworm?

WTF is this.  Its alive....

Both:

Tank pictures with better camera.

So what do you guys think so far of the LED light I rigged up?  I can't wait to actually have something colourful in there!

cn

Very nice LED light. I don't know if the actual lighting colour is exactly the same as in the pics but if it were me i would prefer a bit less blue. It's a too blue for me. I prefer a whiter look.