New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

JetJumper's Tank Build

Started by JetJumper, March 02, 2010, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetJumper

Quote from: cn on March 29, 2010, 11:51:38 AM
Very nice LED light. I don't know if the actual lighting colour is exactly the same as in the pics but if it were me i would prefer a bit less blue. It's a too blue for me. I prefer a whiter look.

This was originally to suppliment a MH bulb I was going to get.  If I make another fixture, it will be 50 / 50 of Royal Blue and White.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

JetJumper

MMM  Glass is ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Going to hopefully have the tank set back up this weekend or next.  depending on water tests (Done in the garage)

mikerobart

Exciting stuff. Good that the original tank plan is still alive. Not sure if you answered me before but is the bottom just glass no plastic trim ? If so a piece of foam underneath the tank is usually recommended to even out any possible pressure points that could cause a crack.

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on April 13, 2010, 02:02:05 PM
Exciting stuff. Good that the original tank plan is still alive. Not sure if you answered me before but is the bottom just glass no plastic trim ? If so a piece of foam underneath the tank is usually recommended to even out any possible pressure points that could cause a crack.

Thats the one thing I forgot to do :P  Stupid me not putting foam under the tank!  Arg.. There is a plastic trim for the tank, which I finally found all the parts to it.  Its not one piece, but rather 6 pieces.  So I might forget it, and just put the foam. 

*IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT!  Oh well, got a piece of glass that will fix my problem for $40 after tax.*

mikerobart

Just make sure you do that silicone right. Hopefully the corner seams are strong as well. Are you doing the water test with a top trim as well or is it still trimless or "rimless" ? With a tank that was originally intended to have the plastic trim without it you will have to be careful for sure.

I know that rimless tanks usually use thicker glass than their rimmed or trimmed counterparts. For example my 90g I think is 3/8" thick with full trim but I believe a rimless 90g would use a minimum of 1/2" or maybe thicker.

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on April 13, 2010, 02:15:48 PM
Just make sure you do that silicone right. Hopefully the corner seams are strong as well. Are you doing the water test with a top trim as well or is it still trimless or "rimless" ? With a tank that was originally intended to have the plastic trim without it you will have to be careful for sure.

I know that rimless tanks usually use thicker glass than their rimmed or trimmed counterparts. For example my 90g I think is 3/8" thick with full trim but I believe a rimless 90g would use a minimum of 1/2" or maybe thicker.

Yeah, this is 1/2" glass (12mm)

mikerobart

I would bet you'll be fine... especially as you mentioned you don't have the full 34" of water with the sand bed and running at least a few inches from the top. Be sure to post up some pics once you get it going again.

JetJumper

Tank has been repaired.  Giving the Silicone till Sunday to set, just for sanity sake.  On sunday / monday will have the tank doing a water test in the garage to make sure its still in good order.  Will leave that for a week, then move the tank back onto the stand to finally and hopefully get this build back on track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RossW

Not sure if you plan to bring your stand into the garage for the test or not.

While doing the water test in the garage, I would still ensure the tank is on a level surface with some foam under it.

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on April 15, 2010, 08:08:52 PM
Not sure if you plan to bring your stand into the garage for the test or not.

While doing the water test in the garage, I would still ensure the tank is on a level surface with some foam under it.

its sitting on 2" thick high density insulation. The pink stuff :)

JetJumper

So, I have a question about protein skimmers.  The one I have I picked up second hand, it didn't have a pump with it but I had a spare Ehiem 1250 (I think the model is) kicking around.  I hooked this up to it and it bubbles BUT so far with over a few weeks of running in my smaller tank (while waiting for big tank to repair) there has been nothing going into the collection cup.  Could this be because the pump is not strong enough / pumping enough water through the skimmer?  Or could it be something else?  There has been some build up of brown "crap" but it never makes it over the inside edge of the collection cup.  Just half way up.  Looking at pictures of other people's protein skimmers I would have thought I could atleast get more out of it then that. 

If its the case of the pump, what flows do you recommend to flow through this?

Here is the only info I could find on the skimmer.  Yes I know its not an amazing skimmer to begin with, but I just wanted to get something to work for the mean time with out the expense so I could spend money on other things like lights!  lol..

http://www.wonbrothers.com/product/skimmer/clean.htm
(CU-125)

new2salt

Sounds like you are DRY SKIMMING - adjust your outlet flow - to get your water / bubble line a little higher in the concentration tube.

I have an old Sea Clone 150 and use a Maxijet 1200 / valve to control flow.
Also have SS 125 needlewheel skimmer -MOD 1- use air pump to inject air for more bubbles, MOD 2 fishing line wrap on needlewheel to make small bubbles.

The trick is BUBBLES lots of them - the smaller the better - like a good head on a beer

Make sure the air venturi is clean - salt can build up and block. no air no bubbles

JetJumper

Tank is aquascaped and setup.  3/4 full of water right now.  LED light fixture in place, plumbing 90% hooked back up.  I just want to build the suspense before posting pictures :P  haha!  (Water has to clear as well before pictures are taken)

JetJumper

JetJumper

Okay, so after a night of sitting and circulating, we have better pictures!
Let me know what you guys think so far!

Still a little cloudy, but getting clear.  Once there is enough water for the sump to run then it will clear up faster.  This is a front view of the tank, LED light set to both White and blue.  Total inmates is 7-8 hermit crabs, 3 snails, and a little damsel (I know they are territorial.. so he will be removed if need be)

Side view of the tank, all lights on

Here is the little damsel in both colour of lights.

Side again, but just white light from LED's

Front of tank with White LED's

Damsel in white

Other side of tank, in white light

Front with only Blue

Side with only blue

So now that its all setup, I play the waiting game on when the Ammonia / Nitrates / Nitrites settle and then the fun begins of corals / fish.  Who thinks a clam will survive on the bottom of this tank?  I am curious on people's input.

Thanks for following the build!

dragkon1

might be a little deep for a clam at the bottem but you could always make a spot for one on the LR closer to the surface. I have seen it done a few times. heres an interresting tank with the clams on the rock work
http://www.sciviews.org/_phgrosjean/index.html

Josh

RossW

IMHO, I would not put a clam in without PAR readings.  If it was T5 or MH, there are tons of examples we could all refer to where people had kept clams for n years with similar setups... but I just don't know how clams will do long term w/ LED.

A questions I should have asked first... what type of clam.

HomerJ

Nice setup!  How do you like the light so far?  Do you think it will be enough by itself?  Will you supplement it with something else?

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on April 25, 2010, 03:03:55 PM
A questions I should have asked first... what type of clam.

No idea yet.. haha.. was just thinking about it.

Does anyone on OVAS has a PAR meter?  I don't want to purchase one :(

JetJumper

Quote from: HomerJ on April 25, 2010, 03:05:23 PM
Nice setup!  How do you like the light so far?  Do you think it will be enough by itself?  Will you supplement it with something else?

I am going to try not too.  trying to keep hydro bills down!  haha.. If I can find a PAR meter to borrow, that would be awesome so I can tell for sure.