New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

JetJumper's Tank Build

Started by JetJumper, March 02, 2010, 12:33:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetJumper

Hey Everyone.  This is my first real post on here but I have been watching and reading the site for months now.  I am in the process of setting up a tank which is going to take me a little bit to complete due to funding issues, but I thought I would keep a little log on here for the progress.

I have always wanted a Salt water tank and told myself I wouldn't get one till I got my own house. (I didn't want the hassle of tear down and resetting it back up.)  So, got my first house last sept :)  And the mind just started to wonder for ideas on what to do for a tank.  Next thing I know, I see a free tank on KIJIJI.  22"W x 26"D x 34"T.  I quickly replied to the ad and ran over and scooped it up.  Free tank that size, I can't turn it down!  Got the tank and it was in pretty decent condition, hardly any scratches and looked to be good enough for a display tank.  Now, I wanted to not have to worry about overflow boxes or anything like that.  I took a big risk and started to drill the tank (NO IDEA IF IT WAS TEMPERED OR NOT!!! - NOT RECOMMENDED! HAHA)  Well, it turns out the tank was NOT tempered, so it worked out PERFECTLY.  Two holes in the back of the tank, ready for drainage / return :)

So now I have a large tank, 2 freshly drilled holes, and no stand to put this on.  Next step I started doing was to build a stand.  Its not finished, but the rest is cosmetics which I don't care about just at this time. (Yet again another money thing to finish off the stand I want to do it.) Went to home depot, bought a bunch of wood, and started to plan / measure / cut.

Ignore the Ugly Couch in the Background!   This is the tank when I first got it

Here is the tank on the stand that I built, still need to finish it, but the main structure is finished.

I wanted to have a Sump for sure for this setup, so I went digging through the random spare tanks I have in the garage (Don't ask, but I have about 7 spare tanks doing nothing at the moment - hahha)  I found a tank that would fit perfectly under this tank / stand and fill the room to the max.  I think it works out to 25-30 gallons for a sump.  This tank is in pretty decent condition, did a quick water test over night to make sure it holds fine and then got some 1/4" plex and started to make baffles / fuge. Yet again, more pictures included to show this.

Sump with Baffles / Fuge siliconed in place.

Side view of sump + skimmer (Skimmer only in the middle for a place to put it, it will be moved to the left side later)

I bought a couple of Korilia 3's and 4's and put the tank on the stand, filled it up 3/4 of the way, and so far its still at that point. (Waiting on parts currently for next stage)

Now, trying to locate bulkheads that fit a 65mm hole that I drilled isn't something that home depot carries so I called around and wound up getting them from Marinescape on Carling.  Decently priced from what I found over all.  Picked up some 1.5" PVC from Home Hardware and after a bit of planning / cutting / assembly, I have Picture #5,6 to show how I set that up thus far.

Tank with Sump in place.  Starting of Plumbing work.

Return + Overflow.

Now comes a fun and interesting idea I came up with the other night.  Lighting.. HUGE topic here and since the depth on this tank is rather large, I figure I am going to get a 250Watt 14/15K MH bulb so that I have a decent amount of light to reach the depths required for some corals / clams.  (Correct me if I am wrong here in this wattage)  As for Actinics, I came across some LED information for marine tanks, and I got thinking to myself.  I have more then enough LEDS kicking around to make a light that will give me an Actinic effect.  So I found an old lamp for a 10 Gallon tank, took it apart and started to work on figuring out how to fit some LEDS in it.  So far my design includes 120LEDS (60 Blue - 460nm and 60 UV - 400nm)  I know the UV are a little low on the wavelength, but after some long hours of researching it, there are a few company's that produce LED fixtures for Salt water tanks that use these ranges.  Pictures 6-12 will show the LED fixture so far.

UV LED (Camera Sucks so you can't see the true colour)

Blue LED (Camera Sucks so you can't see the true colour)

Old Fish tank Lamp

Lamp Gutted

Plexiglass with 120 drilled holes and LED's glued into place.

This is what the finished look will look like once I finish the soldering of the 120 resistors and 120 LEDs (Oh what fun!)

********** MORE TO COME ONCE I GET FURTHER ****************
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

ciaus

I'd like to get more info on your LED fixture build....detailed pics of the whole thing...can you expalin the PAR that will be achieved by building this size of an LED fixture?  How deep will this provide serviceable illumination?

If you dont know the answers, maybe someone else can chime in here...I just dont understand why LED assemblies have to be SO expensive, when a DIY like this seems ot be a reasonable project...

TIA

Ciaus

mikerobart

Awesome build so far. I love the semi cube sizes. Wowzers 34" tall hope you have long arms ! For croceas on the bottom I'd be thinking 400w to be honest. At that depth you might need it. 250w is normally used only to about 24".

Nice diy led ! You are going to have a really nice system here I think.

salvini55

I really like what you got going on. What livestock are you thinking about keeping?

Hookup

Great first post!

It sure sounds like you've really researched and know your stuff.  I love the DIY you have throughout your build from the tank to the lights, to the sump... this is definitely a DIY dream project.

I think the extra-tall tank will have a pretty cool effect for aquascaping.  I've seen only one or two tanks of this size/shape where they pulled off an effective reef.  But that leaves me with one question.

I notice that your display is rimless.  I do not know much about the build/design of rimless tanks, but if I'm not mistaken special products are required to keep the seals together including the thickness of glass and the sillycone.  Are you sure that was a rimless tank and not a tank with the plastic rim taken off?

93GTCANADA

Looking good. Please tell me you did a water test before doing all that work.

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on March 02, 2010, 08:25:31 AM
I notice that your display is rimless.  I do not know much about the build/design of rimless tanks, but if I'm not mistaken special products are required to keep the seals together including the thickness of glass and the sillycone.  Are you sure that was a rimless tank and not a tank with the plastic rim taken off?

Good question, and I did take this into consideration.  The tank does have a plastic rim that used to be there.  I still have the parts for it, but it wasn't a very sturdy plastic rim to begin with.  So what I plan on doing is when I finish the stand I am going to make a tight fit wood boarder around the tank on the bottom / top so that in essense it will seem like it still has something holding it together.  The thickness of the glass on this tank is 0.5" thick (making it a VERY heavy tank to lift with 1 person) and the silicone is holding great so far.

Quote from: salvini55 on March 02, 2010, 03:31:11 AM
I really like what you got going on. What livestock are you thinking about keeping?

Live stock so far I have not figured out completely.  I want to get the tank setup and running with some dead rock and a mix of live rock and leave it sit for a few months to build up a nice balance.  I would love to have a Green Manderin (I love the colours these guys put off) and some clowns etc.. Corals wise, not sure yet.

Quote from: mikerobart on March 02, 2010, 02:19:24 AM
Awesome build so far. I love the semi cube sizes. Wowzers 34" tall hope you have long arms ! For croceas on the bottom I'd be thinking 400w to be honest. At that depth you might need it. 250w is normally used only to about 24".
Nice diy led ! You are going to have a really nice system here I think.

As for the 34" tall, total water depth will be less then that.  I have planned for aprox 3-4" at the top that is not used plus a sand bed of aprox 4-6" deep.  So all in all I might only have 24" deep in some spots, and a little deeper in others.  My hydro bill is huge already, so I am trying to stay away from the 400watt lamps. (Electric heating plus I have an orchid / exotic plant collection that eats up another 300-400watts)

Quote from: ciaus on March 02, 2010, 01:07:26 AM
I'd like to get more info on your LED fixture build....detailed pics of the whole thing...can you expalin the PAR that will be achieved by building this size of an LED fixture?  How deep will this provide serviceable illumination?
If you dont know the answers, maybe someone else can chime in here...I just dont understand why LED assemblies have to be SO expensive, when a DIY like this seems ot be a reasonable project...

I would love to answer the PAR question, but at the moment I don't know.  So far the design consists of 120LEDS (Purchased from Ebay for under $30.00 with resistors.) some plexiglass ($2.00) and an old Fish tank light hood. (Free)  Transformer to drive this setup isn't that much (Under $10).  The fun part that I have to do in the next time slot I have free time is to solder Resistors to all of the 120 LEDS then solder it all up to the main power feeds.  Each LED is Aprox 20mA at 3.3V.  Over all I think it works out to under 15watts to run the entire thing.  Do I know if its going to work great?  No, not yet.  I have no experience with LED lighting for Plants or Corals.  But I had the LEDs kicking around, so I thought I would give it a shot.  Once the fixture is further along (This weekend project) I will get some better pictures and give me insight to how I have it set up.

Quote from: 93GTCANADA on March 02, 2010, 08:54:21 AM
Looking good. Please tell me you did a water test before doing all that work.

HAHA!  I did yes.  All setup on my kitchen floor and no leaks for a 5 day test! :)

Thanks for the comments everyone!  Hopefully I haven't bit off more then I can chew for my first SW tank.  HAHA!

Hookup

Sounds like a man with a plan here boys... this is one to watch!   8)

WRT your lighting, I think you might be better served with the 400w setup.... but above that is the quality of the reflector you are going to use to direct/drive that light down into the tank.  Lumenbrights will be top of the list for throwing whatever PAR you are getting deepest into the tank.  Surprisingly, reflectors play the most important role in achieving high PAR in the tank, more so than wattage.

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on March 02, 2010, 10:42:37 AM
Sounds like a man with a plan here boys... this is one to watch!   8)

WRT your lighting, I think you might be better served with the 400w setup.... but above that is the quality of the reflector you are going to use to direct/drive that light down into the tank.  Lumenbrights will be top of the list for throwing whatever PAR you are getting deepest into the tank.  Surprisingly, reflectors play the most important role in achieving high PAR in the tank, more so than wattage.

Now by PAR I presume thats the LUX value?  Or am I mistaken.  I know all about LUX and I have a lux meter which I was thinking of tossing in a ziplock bag and submerging it to see what LUX values I am getting at different depths. 

As for lighting, since most of you are talking about 400 more then 250, maybe what I might start off with is this:
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/aqua/products.aspx?request=AQUA_GALAXY_SEL_WATT&title=Ballasts&type=product

I will get the 250 - 400 range select a watt ballast, and if the 250 isn't enough, I can always switch up easily with out having to get a new ballast.

I currently have a few reflectors at my disposal for use.

One similar to this
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/hort/products.aspx?request=COOL-SUN-REFLECTOR&title=Reflectors&type=product

one like this:
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/hort/products.aspx?request=SUN_TUBE_REFLECTOR&title=Reflectors&type=product

and a simple one like this
http://www.sunlightsupply.com/hort/products.aspx?request=ECONOWING_REFLECTOR&title=Reflectors&type=product

Not sure which I am going to use yet.  The second one is most likely my choice as its protected and easy to clean.  I have had great reflection from it with and I can cool the bulb easy.
Time will tell.

Hookup

LUX is not PAR.  LUX is the brightness as seen by the human eye.  It's a relative term based upon the human eye only.  PAR is a measure of photons by volume over time.  It's a measure of "how much light" is being output at a specific distance/depth from your bulb.

LUX is kind of useless to us, PAR is meaning full.  UPAR (i think that's the term) is a measurement of a specific type(s) of photon (wavelengths)... you can then setup a system to measure the photos that the corals are using and end up with usable par as a result.  This meter is not ever found in the hobby.  Too expensive.  So we go with PAR.

Never seen or read anything on that ballast. Sanjay's Lighting guide as a tone, if not too much, information about all types of ballasts and bulbs, and combination's found in the hobby. (http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting)  I'd start by checking for comments on your planned ballast there.

Those reflectors you show are not going to maximize your PAR/output from your bulbs.  They allow light to escape from the ends, and more over, they reflect a serious amount of light back at the bulb, as opposed to down into the water.  (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/review/index.php)

I realize the budget implications of using what you have, but with such a deep tank you'd be better off spending your money on lighting.

Vincenzo.

Cool project for sure. What are the wattage on these leds? They have heat sinks? Fans? Or they like x mas leds?

holachicka

VERY nice - I tend to prefer square tanks and yours is a really nice size!
Looking forward to future updated pics!

salvini55

It will be easier to make decisions on lighting, flow ect. if you know what you want to keep for livestock. Mainly corals, if you want to go sps, get the 400 watt MH and a lumenbright. If you only want soft and lps, go with a 250 watt. Either way, you have a solid foundation and im sure things will be jaw dropping in no time.

Got any pics of your orchid farm?

QueensU

If they are LED's like CREE-XRE or something like that, you will definitely need to mount them on a heat sink rather than acrylic. I think you said 30 bucks for all of them tho? So they're likely not the same type of LED.

JetJumper

Quote from: QueensU on March 02, 2010, 01:16:30 PM
If they are LED's like CREE-XRE or something like that, you will definitely need to mount them on a heat sink rather than acrylic. I think you said 30 bucks for all of them tho? So they're likely not the same type of LED.

No, they are just simple 3.3V @ 20mA 5mm LEDs with a angle of roughly 20 Degrees.  EBay special I bought about 4 years ago.  The way I am designing the back wiring section of resistors and everything will have proper cooling.

Quote from: salvini55 on March 02, 2010, 12:30:49 PM
Got any pics of your orchid farm?

At the moment I don't.  Most of them are not flowering right now so its just all greenery.. lol.

Quote from: Hookup on March 02, 2010, 12:04:24 PM
LUX is not PAR.  LUX is the brightness as seen by the human eye.  It's a relative term based upon the human eye only.  PAR is a measure of photons by volume over time.  It's a measure of "how much light" is being output at a specific distance/depth from your bulb.

Those reflectors you show are not going to maximize your PAR/output from your bulbs.  They allow light to escape from the ends, and more over, they reflect a serious amount of light back at the bulb, as opposed to down into the water.  (http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-06/review/index.php)

Thanks for clearly this up, and I have been thinking.  I might rig up a radiator that will take the Temperature from the light, and use it to warm the water up.  Since before I put live stock in the tank, I can play around with flow and what not to find out exactly how much flow I need through the rad to warm the water as a supplement to the 300Watt heater.  This way I can use the Lamp as a heater as well as light so that there is less electrical load in total.  Anyone tried this out before here?

Funkmotor

Quote from: JetJumper on March 02, 2010, 01:46:30 PM
Thanks for clearly this up, and I have been thinking.  I might rig up a radiator that will take the Temperature from the light, and use it to warm the water up.  Since before I put live stock in the tank, I can play around with flow and what not to find out exactly how much flow I need through the rad to warm the water as a supplement to the 300Watt heater.  This way I can use the Lamp as a heater as well as light so that there is less electrical load in total.  Anyone tried this out before here?

If there would be any exposed copper in that radiator it would be bad news for any inverts in the tank.  And even if there were copper internally to the radiator only, if it ever sprung a leak into the tank it would be bad news for sure.

Keeping the rad external to the tank (like a warm plate on the glass) would transfer some heat but you'd risk cracking the glass.

Probably not worth the risk either way.

Hookup

If the idea is to create a stainless-steel coil that is built-into the top, non-reflective side of the reflector it might work.  Copper is bad, as pointed out... but the concept is an interesting one.

Rybren

There's a thread on RC, I can't find it now, where someone was discussing this idea.  Once concept was to run the water through a glass box on the top side of the fixture rather than using copper or titanium piping.
120G Reef

JetJumper

JetJumper

So, with all the talk of lighting today that got me thinking and wondering what my current reflector would look like.  Here are a few quick snap shots.

Bulb is a MH bulb for plants, so the K rating is no where near what is going to be used for the SW.  Its a 600 Watt Bulb however, much brighter then a 250w would be.  But this is just for kicks.

mikerobart

That is a badass light... Sure it's just orchids you're growing there ?  8) . Just razzing but until we see the orchids... That's a serious set up. I bet a 6500k bulb if you had it could grow sps like crazy... Maybe not so pleasing to the eye too yellow but doable. Too bad they don't make blue HPS or MH bulbs in that wattage ! There are 1000w halides targetted to the hobby.

mikerobart

Also on topic of lighting ...  I've been thinking of a cube build that might be some ways down the road but here is my dream light... Check the insane par #'s compared to 400w's.
www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772391

Beautiful pendant big reflector. With only 100 more watts than a 400 they doubled the par... Not that the 400w xr6 isn't decent as well.

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on March 02, 2010, 09:30:45 PM
That is a badass light... Sure it's just orchids you're growing there ?  8) . Just razzing but until we see the orchids... That's a serious set up. I bet a 6500k bulb if you had it could grow sps like crazy... Maybe not so pleasing to the eye too yellow but doable. Too bad they don't make blue HPS or MH bulbs in that wattage ! There are 1000w halides targetted to the hobby.

Now that I am at home and not at work, here are some Plant pictures :P  So you all don't think I am crazy and growing massive amounts of Marijuana!

Before I moved, this was my old setup. (before finishing the drywall)

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on March 02, 2010, 09:41:46 PM
Also on topic of lighting ...  I've been thinking of a cube build that might be some ways down the road but here is my dream light... Check the insane par #'s compared to 400w's.
www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1772391

Beautiful pendant big reflector. With only 100 more watts than a 400 they doubled the par... Not that the 400w xr6 isn't decent as well.

I must say, this is an amazing design, but the price is way out of my budget for sure.  $1100+ for the cheapest one.. :|  Can't justify that.

Hookup

Quote from: JetJumper on March 02, 2010, 10:19:22 PM
Now that I am at home and not at work, here are some Plant pictures :P  So you all don't think I am crazy and growing massive amounts of Marijuana!

Those photos do not help with your sanity plea... you're obviously prone to ocd, and therefore should fit in just nicely with this crew!

mikerobart

Great pics it's like a plant version of multiple tank syndrome. Oh and the sfiligoi... The rational part of me says no, the crazy obsessed reeftank guy says yes.

ciaus

Quote from: JetJumper on March 02, 2010, 10:19:22 PM
So you all don't think I am crazy and growing massive amounts of Marijuana!

Just to be really clear here, not one person suggested you were growing Marijuana. 
Here is why....I should explain a few points first: 
Freshwater = gateway to Multiple tank syndrome
Marine (salty) tank =  not the usual entry point of aquarium keeping...you are already suffering MTS even if you are still in denial.  This is especially true if you are attempting a DIY Marine system, and documenting it for others.
Marijuana = a so called gateway drug
Marijuana grow op = a gateway plant for plant keepers, as are tomatoes, since they are easy to grow hydroponically, and by osmosis a gateway to advanced hydroponic agricultural activities.

I figured you must have an advanced skill in agriculture, no one ever says they have high hydro bills because they are a plant grower...I reckoned you were way past anything that would be misconstrued as being a gateway plant keeper, like marijuana, or Orchids.  Orchids incredible plants as they are; and since you have already demonstrated a propensity to not being involved in gateway activities; I would never have said that you are growing marijuana.  I personally had you pegged as a poppy plant grower.  ;D

Need any razors?   ::)

Ciaus

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on March 03, 2010, 10:52:15 AM
I personally had you pegged as a poppy plant grower.  ;D

haha, nope, never tried to grow poppies.  No interest really.  I like orchids because they are exotic and I find them really fascinating.  There are also Tomatoes in there currently getting ready for spring time.  And if anyone wants some Ghost peppers come summer, I have some growing as well.  If you like HOT peppers, these are the worlds hottest pepper. mmmm.. soo good!  I attempted Hydroponics once, but it failed so I haven't revisited it lately.  Other more interesting things I wanted to do. (Like the Salt water tank)

I know no one said anything about Marijuana, but its the first thing people think usually when I say I have 2 600 watt grow lights :P Maybe not in this community, but others for sure.(They are not running right now, because I have floro's for a cheaper option currently. 300 watts vs 1200 watts.  :) )

Hookup

Hell, it's the first thing I thought of...  ;D ;D

There's a house in Barrhaven I drive by regularly with a few signs on their exterior walls for high-quality grow lights... (they have been taken down, prob because people complained)... anyhow, every time I drove by that house I thought... "wow, all the pot sales aren't enough of an income, you got to start wholesaling lights too..." ;D ;D

The best thing about stereotypes is they are consistent!

Hookup

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=42847.0;topicseen

This is what you want.  I know pat is using 3x250w on his 30" deep tank... you can talk to him more about 34"deep at 250 and get his opinion.  But that price point is really good.  Act fast before these are gone.

mikerobart

Yeah noticed those as well... nice reflectors. Dimmable ballast is kinda cool.

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on March 03, 2010, 12:18:03 PM
http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=42847.0;topicseen

This is what you want.  I know pat is using 3x250w on his 30" deep tank... you can talk to him more about 34"deep at 250 and get his opinion.  But that price point is really good.  Act fast before these are gone.

They do look like a nice setup for sure, but I think I am set on a 250 - 400 watt ballast so that I can start with a 250 w bulb, and as I add more stuff to the tank, if needed I can go to a 400w bulb with out having to change ballast / reflector.

Hookup

Quote from: mikerobart on March 03, 2010, 01:16:45 PM
Yeah noticed those as well... nice reflectors. Dimmable ballast is kinda cool.

Dimmable is boss.  If you research on Sanjay's page you'll find some bulbs like a bit more juice and some a bit less... with the dimmable option you can get the peak-performance from your system....

beertech

250 MH will be plenty, especially if you are thinking of energy/money.
Coral placement is the key, simply place low light tolerant specimens in the bottom half, higher light  corals near the top.  Most people end up doing this anyway, even with the higher wattage light systems.  If you want to ensure you are getting the most par and penetration, simply use a bulb in the 10-12 K range and supplement with T-5 actinics unless your leds work out properly. 

Gord 

JetJumper

UPDATE On LED Unit.

So after spending a little bit of time trying to come up with an idea on how to light this entire thing up, I finally came up with a plan.

Testing LEDS to make sure they still work perfectly after using Super Glue on them.

Here is a Blue LED Lit

UV LED Lit

Here is a side view, so you can see how I laid it out. (I am not a Professional at this, so it doesn't look awesome. :( )  I still have to solder resistors to each LED then attach the main so it can all be lit at once.  Borrowing a friends Soldering Iron tomorrow to do so.  Mine is Junk!

More to come after the weekend if I survive the solder smoke I am going to expose my lungs to!

ciaus

Quote from: JetJumper on March 03, 2010, 09:09:36 PM
UPDATE On LED Unit.
More to come after the weekend if I survive the solder smoke I am going to expose my lungs to!
Just go into your "orchid" room, and inhale some of the "poppy" plants that you dont have in there....    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

salvini55

Stop walkin all over my buzzz, man. I wanna see where this build is going, ya'll gonna get him busted by the cops. lol

Quote from: JetJumper on March 03, 2010, 09:09:36 PM
Borrowing a friends Soldering Iron tomorrow to do so.  Mine is Junk!

Im mowin what your growin, if your catchin what im throwin.
My iron is junk as well  :(  The light is pretty sweet!

Hookup

Contact Fishdaddy... he has several used, pro-quality soldering iron's that he can hook you up with.  As an obvious DIY guy, you'll want to have one anyhow i'd suspect.

JetJumper

So, when is too much flow an issue.  Well, See pictures below.

I guess the pump is a little more powerful then I thought! HAHAHAHA.  Atleast I know my pumping has no leaks :)  Now I need to grab a few more plumbing parts to cut this flow in half.  I went with a bigger pump, mainly because in the future I do plan to add another tank to the system as a frag tank or shallow tank or the nice 56Gallon Corner Tank I have. :) mmm.. that would look awesome.

Severum

LOL, talk about too much flow through your ref! :)

Toss a ball valve on the output of your pump so you can adjust it and you're good to go!
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

JetJumper

Quote from: Severum on March 04, 2010, 09:35:16 PM
LOL, talk about too much flow through your ref! :)

Toss a ball valve on the output of your pump so you can adjust it and you're good to go!

Thats what I am going to do :)  But the store is closed :(  The Nerve of them closing before 10:00 out in Almonte Area.. haha

JetJumper

Plumbing is done! wahoo.. for now.. haha

Next Purchase... RO DI unit.. Any recommendations?  Its going to be 3-4 weeks before I can afford it, so research time!

Also, anyone have any tips on getting the drain quieter?  :|

RossW

Looks good.

Xiaan had a RO/DI unit for sale.

Are those "stainless steal" worm gear clamps under water?  If so, beware.  I picked some up at Lowes and tested one overnight in a shot glass of salt water and in less than 24 hours it had already started to rust... I think it was not the band but the worm screw which was rusting.

Hookup

that drain could be loud due to the size of the hole you put in the cap.  I've been playing with the same design and had some pretty good results, but thats with a much smaller hole.

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on March 05, 2010, 10:12:34 PM
Looks good.

Xiaan had a RO/DI unit for sale.

Are those "stainless steal" worm gear clamps under water?  If so, beware.  I picked some up at Lowes and tested one overnight in a shot glass of salt water and in less than 24 hours it had already started to rust... I think it was not the band but the worm screw which was rusting.

Message sent to Xiaan, Thanks for the heads up there guys..

As for the worm gear, yes.  I completely forgot about that and thought they wouldn't.. Anyone have other suggestions.  I don't want to glue it, but I don't want that hose popping off either, otherwise there will be a HUGE mess since the pump is rated for 1500GPH @ 0ft.

Severum

Looking good! Your making great progress!

and I love the pants... :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

RossW

Quote from: JetJumper on March 05, 2010, 11:39:29 PM
As for the worm gear, yes.  I completely forgot about that and thought they wouldn't.. Anyone have other suggestions.  I don't want to glue it, but I don't want that hose popping off either, otherwise there will be a HUGE mess since the pump is rated for 1500GPH @ 0ft.

I use a couple zip ties, really tight, and am surprised at how well they hold.

I also bought some of these Ratchet Hose Clamps but have yet to try them.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/pumps-and-plumbing/plumbing-sumps-drill-bits-overflows-uniseals/ratchet-hose-clamps

QueensU

You can buy plastic hose clamps to, they push together and lock.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Plastic_Hose_Clamp_3_4_inch_Hose_Clamps_for_Tubing-Spears-FT1513-FIFTTUHC-FT1514-vi.html

(I wouldn't necessarily order them from marine depot, but someone local may have them. Home Depot and Rona don't though, because I have been looking for these too.)

P.s. I was also going to comment on the pants, those are pretty sweet.

ordi260

very nice setup! I have just surprised myself being more exited about the pictures of the plumbing instead of thinking of the final result?   Do you have more sexy plumbing shots like that  ;)  ?  Keep up going the good work!!!

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

JetJumper

24 hour test went well.

Drained the tank so I can work on the stand while I am waiting for funds to raise for the next purchase.

Thanks for the pants comments :P  haha.. Gotta love comfee PJ's :)

So, one thing with the plumbing I don't like, is when its in the sump I can't get it out easily.  So I just ordered one of these:

http://www.homehardware.ca/Products/index/show/product/I3299987/name/union_pvc_sch_80_1_1_2

Now I can remove the drain when I need to easily :)
Comes in Thursday.

JetJumper

So, I redesigned the overflow today not liking how loud it was.  After looking at many different ways to do it, I think with the pieces I had, this will work.  Unliky for me, I drained the tank this morning before trying this out to see the noise levels, so it will be a bit before I can test it out.

Here are some snap shots.  (No pants this time :P)

I am hoping this will be quiet, and its variable so that I can adjust the flows till I figure it out, then I will silicone (NOT GLUE) in place so that I can alter it if need be.

johnrt

Regarding the hose and hose clamp: You might want to try a combination of silicon sealer and zip ties. The zip tie prevents slippage and the silicon sealer prevents leakage. The zip tie can can clipped or nicked with a box knife to remove, then twist the pipe to break the seal of the silicon sealer and you can pull off the pipe.

JetJumper

LED Light Fixture Update.

So, after spending a good few hours inhauling solder fumes, I am done the soldering!!!

I killed 2 LEDs in the unit, which kinda sucks, but over all it will have little effect on the full output.  I might have to build another one in order to provide enough light for this tank design as the LED's are very narrow beamed.  But that will be a while down the road.  For now I have to worry about getting the tank setup.

Yet again, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

ciaus

Quote from: JetJumper on March 06, 2010, 10:34:23 PM
LED Light Fixture Update.
So, after spending a good few hours inhauling solder fumes, I am done the soldering!!!
I killed 2 LEDs in the unit, which kinda sucks, but over all it will have little effect on the full output.  I might have to build another one in order to provide enough light for this tank design as the LED's are very narrow beamed.  But that will be a while down the road.  For now I have to worry about getting the tank setup.
Yet again, here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
You mentioned that the LED are very narrow beamed.  That is true, because LED are a directional light source, and as such are one of the characteristics that make them so very highly efficient.  You can see that in how some of the LED's look brighter in the picture, they are closer to being in line to the camera...
This a remarkable project and I thank you for your effort in documenting thus far...  I am very interested in the LED unit.  Can you do a really tight picture of the electrical pathway, what is soldered to what....and specs on the resistors and the LEDS you used?  I am wondering if the type reflector above the LED's would make much, if any difference, given the directional nature of the LED, to light being focused into the water.

Kindest regards,

Ciaus.

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on March 07, 2010, 05:14:07 AM
You mentioned that the LED are very narrow beamed.  That is true, because LED are a directional light source, and as such are one of the characteristics that make them so very highly efficient.  You can see that in how some of the LED's look brighter in the picture, they are closer to being in line to the camera...
This a remarkable project and I thank you for your effort in documenting thus far...  I am very interested in the LED unit.  Can you do a really tight picture of the electrical pathway, what is soldered to what....and specs on the resistors and the LEDS you used?  I am wondering if the type reflector above the LED's would make much, if any difference, given the directional nature of the LED, to light being focused into the water.
Kindest regards,
Ciaus.

LED Specs

I need to get some Batteries for my Digital Camera, so far I have just been using my iphone to take pictures.  If I were to do this project again and had to purchase LEDs, I would most likely purchase these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-PCS-10mm-40-1W-Watt-Blue-LED-300mA-250-000mcd-NEW_W0QQitemZ370327969891QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5639446063#ht_3780wt_939

Along with these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/50-PCS-10mm-40-0-5W-UltraViolet-UV-LED-100mA-35000mcd_W0QQitemZ220408609945QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3351607c99

They have a nice 40Degree viewing angle which would be perfect for a project like this.

new2salt

Along for the ride. :)
This is way too interesting to miss any part of it.
Nice looking project - Great pics and documentation.

JetJumper

High Rez photos of LED Light.
(I shrunk the pictures.. they were WAY to LARGE!!!)

ciaus

JetJumper

I am not the greatest person at soldering, so its a bit messy.. But over all I am liking the effect of the light :)  Cant wait for corals to test it on :) I might setup a small frag tank down the road and try it with this to see the effects on frags specifically.

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

Brent Shaver

Incredible documentation..  Your detail and the over all project is amazing.

Thanks for putting in the time to share this with us.

Truly Amazing.
Keep up the great work.
Brent

JetJumper

From another post on here:

Quote from: JetJumper on March 12, 2010, 08:08:38 PM
You got me thinking and I found something in the junk pile at work today that would work nicely.

This is the casing of a 22" (DEAD) Dell Monitor.  It would look perfect for a casing for a LED fixture that would cover my tank that I am building.  If I get some spare cash down the road, I will purchase some LEDS and use this to make an entire LED Lamp for my tank. :D

So eventually keep your eye out for this project :O

salvini55

thats pretty creative! would make a sweet diy led

ciaus

JetJumper, If you decide to turn that Flat Panel monitor shroud into an LED hosing that is going to be very slick.  I would make one suggestion...remove the four letter word from the front of the bezel..no sense in making your fish and plants ill by exposing them to that abuse...   ::)

Ciaus

JetJumper

Quote from: ciaus on March 12, 2010, 09:29:06 PM
JetJumper, If you decide to turn that Flat Panel monitor shroud into an LED hosing that is going to be very slick.  I would make one suggestion...remove the four letter word from the front of the bezel..no sense in making your fish and plants ill by exposing them to that abuse...   ::)
Ciaus

HAHA!  So true!

Stussi613

Quote from: ciaus on March 12, 2010, 09:29:06 PM

Ciaus

JetJumper,

I was going to tell you that if you actually got it working I'd love to have some pictures of the finished product.  I'm sure our program managers and marketing department would love to see how creatively you recycled that monitor case...considering how committed we are to being the greenest IT company on the planet.

Cheers.

I haz reef tanks.

JetJumper

Quote from: Stussi613 on March 13, 2010, 03:10:49 PM
JetJumper,

I was going to tell you that if you actually got it working I'd love to have some pictures of the finished product.  I'm sure our program managers and marketing department would love to see how creatively you recycled that monitor case...considering how committed we are to being the greenest IT company on the planet.

Cheers.

Don't worry, there will be lots of pictures! :D

On a side note, I need peoples advice.  I am getting my tank hopefully started in the next week or two, but before I do this I want some advice.  I recently knew someone who was in Florida and they drove back.  I asked them kindly to grab me a pail of sand (30 pounds roughly).  Whats everyones opinion on beech sand from Florida?  I have a picture here of what it looks like.  a Bunch of shells in it.  I have Aragonite Sand as well (60 pounds of it) http://www.caribsea.com/pages/products/dry_aragonite.html (Sugar Sized) that I would be mixing with the Florida sand. 

Good Idea?  Bad Idea?  Opinions?  (I am going to thoroughly clean / bake (90 Degrees F in the oven for 15+ minutes) / then boiling water over the Florida sand to kill anything in it.

Not the best image as it was taken with a phone.

groupie02

Quote from: JetJumper on March 15, 2010, 09:22:47 PM
(I am going to thoroughly clean / bake (90 Degrees F in the oven for 15+ minutes) / then boiling water over the Florida sand to kill anything in it.
Why get it if you're going to kill what's in it?  Is it so nice looking that you absolutely want that type of sand?
Just curious.

JetJumper

not 100% tied to the looks. its more for filler.  I have a couple bags of Sugar Grain stuff I am going to use as well.

salvini55

IMO, 60lbs is enough for your tank... unless you want a DSB

JetJumper

Update:  Tap water sucks.  haha

So I got some B-Day money which let me go out and buy a new RO/DI unit.  wahoo!  One step closer to the final goal!

I have yet to still clean up the hose's but for now, its running and running well!

Here is the TDS of the water BEFORE filtering

Here is the after!

Now I just need to finish some work on my stand, clean the tank's and start filling!!!!!!!!  I am getting really excited to almost have a tank full of water! :D

salvini55

A sweet b day gift to say the least

SWFitzy

this is my first birthday with a sw setup. This year im taking advantage of my bday cuz i am currently buying all the goodies for my new 70gallon build. My father is making me a 34 gallon sump tank, and as well as a dolphin return pump....  comon april 7, come quicker...LOL
Happy Bday Jetjumper....
I've been planning my build in my head for months now, I was waitin for the funds. Jetjumper your build is amazing, Giving me all kinds of tips and ideas. Thanks

JetJumper

Well, getting ready for water!

Just waiting on money to get some rock / heater next!  Anyone want to donate $300+ to me?:P  hahaha!

More to come later!

JetJumper

The excitement has begun.

The first trickle of water!  March 19th, 2010 @ 6:39PM

Pipe running from the filter to the saltwater tank.

March 20th, 2010 @ 9:13AM - This is how much water got put into the tank from 6:40PM to 9:13AM

Water being made into Saltwater! :D

Powerheads get turned on in the tank to start mixing everything.  March 20th, 2010 @ 7:00PM (Water level higher!)

Hopefully tomorrow I will have the complete system running (Just waiting on water to finish filtering!)

JetJumper

Great.. Worst possible thing happened.. Can anyone guess?  Yup, the bottom of the tank cracked.. Amazing.. what an amazing day.. Anyone have a similar designed tank?

I think it was the age of the tank.  Because there was no random pressure in random spots.. I had it full already before for atleast 2+ weeks on the stand and it was fine..

salvini55

ouch that blows! sorry man. was it level?

JetJumper

yeah :(  Atleast the leak was into the sump, so the water stayed in the loop! :)

Now time to look for a new tank.  (Atleast this one was free right?)  I liked that deal I saw a while ago for 180Gallon for $200.  Anymore of those kicking around?

dakrazyone

that sucks bro..... i'm building my new setup soon.... hope it's not a chain reaction :(

Severum

What terrible luck! At least you learned a whole bunch and made some neat stuff in the process.

Its funny. Your looking to upgrade your tank and you didn't even get 1 fish in it! I think thats a record!
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

ciaus

Chris, that really sucks the big nozzle, man.  Are you going ro have to change stands and everything?

Ciaus

JetJumper

The odds of finding a tank that is 22" by 27" is pretty slim I think.  If I find something that is 36" x 22" or 20" or 18" or something like that, I can remove the side where the shelves were and use the stand like that.

Who knows.. so depressing.. haha  Time to hit the bottle of Vodka!

mikerobart

The bottom looks like no plastic bracing or trim... Just glass ? Normally a sheet of foam of some kind is reccomended under these kids if bottoms to eliminate pressure points from any slight unevenness in wood etc. Might not have been cause but possible that despite being level there was a small ridge or bump in wood making pressure point on botom.

Good luck finding a new tank for your build !

Rybren

Well this news really stinks.

Good luck in your quest for a new tank.
120G Reef

JetJumper

Screw it, I am not letting this get me down. 

Mission: Head to Hardware Store

Objective: Purchase Epoxy

Goal: Seal leak!

So, I am going to make a 0.5" epoxy covering over the entire bottom of the tank on the inside.  On the outside, I am going to make a thinner layer, but reinforce with FibreGlass.  For the amount of work that has gone into this build already, I am not going to let this take me out. 

It shall be reborn again!

(Picture attached of crack)

With regards to the pressure point, I think that was the case.  Even though I attempted to sand the stand so it was even across, I must not have done a 100% job.  Before I fill it again, I am going to find something to place there to avoid this.

So far, the project isn't dead.. yet!

[attachment deleted by admin]

93GTCANADA

just get a new tank that sized built.

JetJumper

Quote from: 93GTCANADA on March 23, 2010, 09:41:48 AM
just get a new tank that sized built.

Trust me, if I had the budget for that I would.  but I don't.

ordi260

Oh sorry to hear that...it waxs going very well!  I hope you have great success in re-sealing it!

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

93GTCANADA

My ocd would jump in if I resealed a tank. I would be at work or somewhere and always have my tank might be leaking right now on the back of my mind hehe. The reason I will never use a sump  :-[

SWFitzy

sorry to hear about your tank project, that is a bummer. With the amazing progress you already have, it will be notime until your back where you were.

As tanks with sumps. If the drainage and return are build properly then there should never be an issue

JetJumper

We are not out of the game yet!

$50.00 for a new piece of glass which will be in in 2 weeks time.  Special order, but hey, what the hell.  The tank will be completely pulled apart and resiliconed with new.  (not by myself, having it done by a glass company)  So hopefully progress can continue in a few weeks.  I can stop crying now! :D

ordi260

Very nice to hear your back on track!

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Brent Shaver

Nice to see you found a reasonable fix that wont have you down too long.  I have enjoyed your build and look forward to phase 2..smiles

JetJumper

So in order to get out of the depressed state of my tank cracking, I had a little fun yesterday.

Here is the crack for anyone who wants to see what should NEVER happen!

Saving as much water as possible.

And here is the fun part!

Once the cloudyness clears, I will take better pictures.  I figured I might as well try the LED light on here.  I picked up some live rock and we shall see if there might be some cool corals that form!  Who knows!

Current Tank setup is:

25ish gallon
Korillia 3
Protein Skimmer
about 50lb of rock (Seeded with 11lb of live rock)
10 snails
10 hermits
and so far a little tiny starfish that came off the live rock! (Neat little surprise!)

JetJumper

Night shot (Still waiting for the dust to settle.. but its getting there)

johnrt

Great to see you are back on track.

$50 for 4 square feet of glass is a great price. Is that installed? What glass company and what thickness of glass?

===

We are not out of the game yet!

$50.00 for a new piece of glass which will be in in 2 weeks time.  Special order, but hey, what the hell.  The tank will be completely pulled apart and resiliconed with new.  (not by myself, having it done by a glass company)  So hopefully progress can continue in a few weeks.  I can stop crying now! :D
[/quote]

JetJumper

Quote from: johnrt on March 28, 2010, 08:32:12 AM
Great to see you are back on track.

$50 for 4 square feet of glass is a great price. Is that installed? What glass company and what thickness of glass?

Thats not installed, the installed price was going to be the cost of a new tank, so I am going to do something most people don't recommend and silicone the new piece of glass to the old.  The old is still in there extremely tight, and structurally sound so I hope there isn't a problem.  This time, FOAM! on the bottom of the tank will be used.  I am not making that mistake twice.  :'(

Also on a side note, I have my 25/30gallon up and running, and I need to know what to feed the tank.  Its a light feeding for the crabs and snails, but over all what do people do to feed their tanks?  How often?  Maybe I should contact Seabellys guy!

JetJumper

Found some odd things in the tank.  Please help Identify / Confirm

Bristleworm?

WTF is this.  Its alive....

Both:

Tank pictures with better camera.

So what do you guys think so far of the LED light I rigged up?  I can't wait to actually have something colourful in there!

cn

Very nice LED light. I don't know if the actual lighting colour is exactly the same as in the pics but if it were me i would prefer a bit less blue. It's a too blue for me. I prefer a whiter look.

JetJumper

Quote from: cn on March 29, 2010, 11:51:38 AM
Very nice LED light. I don't know if the actual lighting colour is exactly the same as in the pics but if it were me i would prefer a bit less blue. It's a too blue for me. I prefer a whiter look.

This was originally to suppliment a MH bulb I was going to get.  If I make another fixture, it will be 50 / 50 of Royal Blue and White.

JetJumper

MMM  Glass is ready!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Going to hopefully have the tank set back up this weekend or next.  depending on water tests (Done in the garage)

mikerobart

Exciting stuff. Good that the original tank plan is still alive. Not sure if you answered me before but is the bottom just glass no plastic trim ? If so a piece of foam underneath the tank is usually recommended to even out any possible pressure points that could cause a crack.

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on April 13, 2010, 02:02:05 PM
Exciting stuff. Good that the original tank plan is still alive. Not sure if you answered me before but is the bottom just glass no plastic trim ? If so a piece of foam underneath the tank is usually recommended to even out any possible pressure points that could cause a crack.

Thats the one thing I forgot to do :P  Stupid me not putting foam under the tank!  Arg.. There is a plastic trim for the tank, which I finally found all the parts to it.  Its not one piece, but rather 6 pieces.  So I might forget it, and just put the foam. 

*IDIOT IDIOT IDIOT!  Oh well, got a piece of glass that will fix my problem for $40 after tax.*

mikerobart

Just make sure you do that silicone right. Hopefully the corner seams are strong as well. Are you doing the water test with a top trim as well or is it still trimless or "rimless" ? With a tank that was originally intended to have the plastic trim without it you will have to be careful for sure.

I know that rimless tanks usually use thicker glass than their rimmed or trimmed counterparts. For example my 90g I think is 3/8" thick with full trim but I believe a rimless 90g would use a minimum of 1/2" or maybe thicker.

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on April 13, 2010, 02:15:48 PM
Just make sure you do that silicone right. Hopefully the corner seams are strong as well. Are you doing the water test with a top trim as well or is it still trimless or "rimless" ? With a tank that was originally intended to have the plastic trim without it you will have to be careful for sure.

I know that rimless tanks usually use thicker glass than their rimmed or trimmed counterparts. For example my 90g I think is 3/8" thick with full trim but I believe a rimless 90g would use a minimum of 1/2" or maybe thicker.

Yeah, this is 1/2" glass (12mm)

mikerobart

I would bet you'll be fine... especially as you mentioned you don't have the full 34" of water with the sand bed and running at least a few inches from the top. Be sure to post up some pics once you get it going again.

JetJumper

Tank has been repaired.  Giving the Silicone till Sunday to set, just for sanity sake.  On sunday / monday will have the tank doing a water test in the garage to make sure its still in good order.  Will leave that for a week, then move the tank back onto the stand to finally and hopefully get this build back on track!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RossW

Not sure if you plan to bring your stand into the garage for the test or not.

While doing the water test in the garage, I would still ensure the tank is on a level surface with some foam under it.

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on April 15, 2010, 08:08:52 PM
Not sure if you plan to bring your stand into the garage for the test or not.

While doing the water test in the garage, I would still ensure the tank is on a level surface with some foam under it.

its sitting on 2" thick high density insulation. The pink stuff :)

JetJumper

So, I have a question about protein skimmers.  The one I have I picked up second hand, it didn't have a pump with it but I had a spare Ehiem 1250 (I think the model is) kicking around.  I hooked this up to it and it bubbles BUT so far with over a few weeks of running in my smaller tank (while waiting for big tank to repair) there has been nothing going into the collection cup.  Could this be because the pump is not strong enough / pumping enough water through the skimmer?  Or could it be something else?  There has been some build up of brown "crap" but it never makes it over the inside edge of the collection cup.  Just half way up.  Looking at pictures of other people's protein skimmers I would have thought I could atleast get more out of it then that. 

If its the case of the pump, what flows do you recommend to flow through this?

Here is the only info I could find on the skimmer.  Yes I know its not an amazing skimmer to begin with, but I just wanted to get something to work for the mean time with out the expense so I could spend money on other things like lights!  lol..

http://www.wonbrothers.com/product/skimmer/clean.htm
(CU-125)

new2salt

Sounds like you are DRY SKIMMING - adjust your outlet flow - to get your water / bubble line a little higher in the concentration tube.

I have an old Sea Clone 150 and use a Maxijet 1200 / valve to control flow.
Also have SS 125 needlewheel skimmer -MOD 1- use air pump to inject air for more bubbles, MOD 2 fishing line wrap on needlewheel to make small bubbles.

The trick is BUBBLES lots of them - the smaller the better - like a good head on a beer

Make sure the air venturi is clean - salt can build up and block. no air no bubbles

JetJumper

Tank is aquascaped and setup.  3/4 full of water right now.  LED light fixture in place, plumbing 90% hooked back up.  I just want to build the suspense before posting pictures :P  haha!  (Water has to clear as well before pictures are taken)

JetJumper

JetJumper

Okay, so after a night of sitting and circulating, we have better pictures!
Let me know what you guys think so far!

Still a little cloudy, but getting clear.  Once there is enough water for the sump to run then it will clear up faster.  This is a front view of the tank, LED light set to both White and blue.  Total inmates is 7-8 hermit crabs, 3 snails, and a little damsel (I know they are territorial.. so he will be removed if need be)

Side view of the tank, all lights on

Here is the little damsel in both colour of lights.

Side again, but just white light from LED's

Front of tank with White LED's

Damsel in white

Other side of tank, in white light

Front with only Blue

Side with only blue

So now that its all setup, I play the waiting game on when the Ammonia / Nitrates / Nitrites settle and then the fun begins of corals / fish.  Who thinks a clam will survive on the bottom of this tank?  I am curious on people's input.

Thanks for following the build!

dragkon1

might be a little deep for a clam at the bottem but you could always make a spot for one on the LR closer to the surface. I have seen it done a few times. heres an interresting tank with the clams on the rock work
http://www.sciviews.org/_phgrosjean/index.html

Josh

RossW

IMHO, I would not put a clam in without PAR readings.  If it was T5 or MH, there are tons of examples we could all refer to where people had kept clams for n years with similar setups... but I just don't know how clams will do long term w/ LED.

A questions I should have asked first... what type of clam.

HomerJ

Nice setup!  How do you like the light so far?  Do you think it will be enough by itself?  Will you supplement it with something else?

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on April 25, 2010, 03:03:55 PM
A questions I should have asked first... what type of clam.

No idea yet.. haha.. was just thinking about it.

Does anyone on OVAS has a PAR meter?  I don't want to purchase one :(

JetJumper

Quote from: HomerJ on April 25, 2010, 03:05:23 PM
Nice setup!  How do you like the light so far?  Do you think it will be enough by itself?  Will you supplement it with something else?

I am going to try not too.  trying to keep hydro bills down!  haha.. If I can find a PAR meter to borrow, that would be awesome so I can tell for sure.

JetJumper

TANK IS FULL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO CRACKS!  NO LEAKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moonlight shot.

The stand will be finished at a later date.. Funds are tight now.. haha

Severum

Nice romantic moonlight shot!  ;)

No doubt funds are tight after that somewhat spontaneous LED light purchase! You are truly an honorable man for Guinea pigging that technology for the rest of us.  :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

new2salt

When is the new rock going in?
Cant wait to see what you do with the aquascape in the tall cube.

PICS

JetJumper

I happened to take one today.. I did put the new rock in there... Figured.. what the hell.. might as well do it now before it gets too crazy.  My memory card is full on my camera, and didn't have time to clear it so here is what I got:P

FIJI rock on top.

QueensU

Tank looks good! I like the rockwork, lots of caves and a bridge.  :)

new2salt

Wondering if you are getting better output from your skimmer?

I have a similar looking model from SeaClone - and it calls for MJ600 to MJ900 or similar volume.
I think your Ehiem 1250 is about 300 to 350 GPH might not be pushing enough water through the unit.
More water flow past the air venturi will entrain more air in the water column, hopefully resulting in more foam production and better output of skimmate
Can send you digital copy of SeaClone 150 manual tomorrow.

JetJumper

Quote from: new2salt on May 09, 2010, 10:17:15 AM
Wondering if you are getting better output from your skimmer?

I have a similar looking model from SeaClone - and it calls for MJ600 to MJ900 or similar volume.
I think your Ehiem 1250 is about 300 to 350 GPH might not be pushing enough water through the unit.
More water flow past the air venturi will entrain more air in the water column, hopefully resulting in more foam production and better output of skimmate
Can send you digital copy of SeaClone 150 manual tomorrow.

I actually changed things around abit.  I am diverting off my return pump now since it is rated for 1500GPH.  I am taking roughly 500+ GPH for the Skimmer.  Its pulling stuff out now!  Have to clean it every other day.

salvini55

ok you cant just go posting pics of empty tanks saying theres "new additions" and flea the country  >:(

JetJumper

Quote from: salvini55 on October 08, 2010, 12:28:24 AM
ok you cant just go posting pics of empty tanks saying theres "new additions" and flea the country  >:(

LOL.. Sorry about that..  I am in the process of changing the flooring in the room so I haven't started anything on the tank side of things.  Don't want to set anything up then have to move it because I need to pull out the carpet.

salvini55

I reluctantly let you off the hook

JetJumper

Corals have all been moved to a 25G tank for now.  Fish will be pulled out tonight.

Tank is being cleaned and painted with a black background tonight as well.  Hopefully have it back up and running tomorrow and flooring finished tomorrow.  then Phase 2 of this entire mix mash of moving tanks and adding more gets started!

Here is the plan for the room if anyone is curious.

[attachment deleted by admin]

JetJumper

Update:
Painted 2 sides black.  I like the look :)
Tank is moved and in place.  Waiting on some plumbing parts to come in so I can continue.  (Hence the holes still open in the tank at the back)

After letting the lights be on for a little bit I noticed that some Zoa's survived the move!

Hookup

JetJumper

So the fun continues now that the flooring is completed in the back room.

I had some fun working with glass tonight.  Here are some pictures so you can see what I mean.

After get the edges all polished so I don't cut myself (I have a Diamond Glass Wet Grinder) on the pieces I cleaned them up and set them down.  5 minutes later I walked past where I set them down and guess what happens.. my shirt snags the pieces and pulls them to the ground... SMASHING 3/4's of the pieces.. God was I PISSED OFF!  Some how the 2 big 12"x12" pieces didn't break.  I don't know how so I decided to silicone them in place and feel like I did something tonight.  I didn't have a piece big enough to go across my sump so I just bonded 2 together.

So tomorrow I will remake what I just broke and try all over again.

Hookup

Nice progress..almost..   Sorry about the oops

I know I would have cursed up a storm

JetJumper

New pieces cut and gluing currently.. will have pictures hopefully later tonight :)

JetJumper

And here is the product of a madman.

I am sure you are wondering what I am going to use this for.. well.. I Created this for the purpose of filter floss.  My tank will be draining into my Fuge which the fuge will then drain to the sump.  I wanted to catch any of the big particles before they manage to settle to the floor of the fuge.  I am sure most of you are wondering why I didn't just simply get a filter sock.  Well to be honest, I just felt like making this for the hell of it.  I had access to a bunch of free stained glass... so why not!

More to come during the week when I get more time.

ordi260

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

JetJumper

And here is how I mounted it to the fuge.

JetJumper

well, we have http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw032KhfYXE !!!!!

I find this to be the ultimate salt mixing machine.

Here are some more updated pictures.

So far no leaks, both systems are attached at the hip and I am almost ready to turn the switch to get the water going!  Just waiting for it to come to temp so I don't shock anything.

JetJumper

More pictures.. its coming along slowly but surely.

JetJumper

A bit has changed since my last post.  I am still slowly working on the tank.  Changed the rock work.. again.. Added some equipment to the sump.. Fuge is going strong and having to cut back the Chaeto quite a bit.

Next on the list is to finish the stand.. now that I am pretty much happy with the layout of the tank.  Don't know if I am going to do wood.. rock.. bamboo.. who knows.. all depends on budget the wife gives me :P

smalltownfan

Looking good, but don't count on a big budget. Like I was told, Christmas is coming and there's the new living room set I want and the carpet has to be changed too..etc.....etc...........etc..............etc :o..
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

JetJumper

So I am working on changing things around a bit.  As for lighting I decided to change from the Tek Light to a custom fixture to get more light into the tank.

Here are a couple pictures of the setup.

On order is this:

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-147/12-LED-Dimmable-Actinic/Detail

This will be placed in the middle of the fixture where the gap was left.  It will be controlled with a ReefKeeper.  It will go from 0-75% in the morning then the T5's will come on for full day light, then T5's go out, it ramps down to about 5% till around 5:00AM for moonlight effect.. then off.  Rinse and repeat.

JetJumper

Coming up:

Home Made Filter sock with directional flow output.
Cooling system for T5/LED light fixture

JetJumper

Quote from: salvini55 on February 08, 2011, 04:16:18 PM
sweet! but where are the LEDs  ???
oh nevermind, im a dumb dumb

:P

Still have to get a reefkeeper as well :(

JetJumper

Update on the Light Fixture

Installed Cooling Fans, Alum Block for LED fixture.  More to come later.

salvini55

v nice! what bulbs are those T5, the colored tips are cool

JetJumper

Quote from: salvini55 on February 20, 2011, 12:16:39 AM
v nice! what bulbs are those T5, the colored tips are cool

There are some ATI Bulbs in there, Giesemann, and UV Lighting.  can't remember the colours off the top of my head.  Was a random mix to see how it looked and I like it.  So does the wife so thats all that matters right?

Found a Colour chart.
http://www.uvlco.com/AquariumT5.html

salvini55

haha thats amazing, reminds me of my guitar strings!

JetJumper

Well, I think its time for some updates.

This is now a few pictures of the tank(s) system.

Frag / Grow out System

JetJumper

The SPS in this system are on the mend.  They used to be VERY Brown but are starting to colour up really nice.  Plus you can see the Cyano I was refering to in another thread on here.

salvini55

quite the colection you got brewin there. are all your SPS maricultured?

JetJumper

Quote from: salvini55 on April 08, 2011, 01:42:04 AM

The majority of them are yes.  I am tempted to start vodka dosing the system but I want to give the algae scrubber time to do its job.

FocusFin

Quote from: salvini55 on April 08, 2011, 01:42:04 AM

What are your store hours lol

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

JetJumper

Quote from: FocusFin on April 08, 2011, 03:50:35 PM
What are your store hours lol

haha.  12:00AM till 12:01AM.  Thats all! :)

salvini55