New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need help with plant ID

Started by Bees, May 02, 2009, 04:52:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bees

Hello OVAS,

I found this plant floating around the top of my tank and after a while I tried sticking it in the substrate.  It kept getting uprooted by snails or fish and it didn't really seem to grow all that well.  It looked to have a bit of a rhizome type root so I stuck it into a hole in a piece of driftwood and since then it has grown quite a bit.  I have no idea what it could be, its leaves start green but then turn brownish red, although they don't look healthy the plant seems fine and the leaves are strong, though tattered.   I guess somebody thinks it is tasty.

Here you can see how its roots are taking hold of the driftwood:

and here is what appears to be a second plant, growing very slowly beside an echinodorus Red Diamond.  Maybe if I stick it into some driftwood it will also grow better.

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!

Jeff1192

I would say that they are cryptocoryne....maybe cryptocoryne wendtii. It's a slow growing, low light plant. That's my guess....we'll see what the others have to say!

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Bees

I've never had a cryptocoryne before so I did some reading and they do have rhizomes so it looks like the pieces fit.  It is pretty patient with me, it must have floated around for the better part of a month lol.

Well thanks much for the info Jeff, I appreciate it.