New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Clawfoot tub pond - no fish

Started by RedFish, July 23, 2009, 01:00:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedFish

I have the opportunity to get a clawfoot tub.   Has been used as a water trough for horses.   I was thinking of setting it up in my backyard and just loading it with plants, no fish, as they would not be able to over winter in it.

I have a small pump and fountain to create movement on the water surface.

Can you think of any negatives, what if it has rust showing, should I paint it or leave it, ie will the rust harm plants?

washefuzzy

Rybren

If you're concerned about rust, you could line the tub with pond liner.  Might be difficult to do.

Comets may overwinter successfully if you keep a pump running to stop the tub from feezing solid and to keep a hole on the surface.
120G Reef

Anja

You'd have to be really diligent about catching mosquito larvae out, though, or put a net over it. Without fish I'd expect them to breed like crazy in there.

It would make an awesome planter, too, and be big enough to not dry out too quickly. Just a thought.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

Fishnut

The Mosquitoes breeding is one negative I can think of.  The other is the fact that since it's going to be above ground, the plant roots might not do so well over the winter compared to being in an underground pond. Throw in some small fish to combat the mosquitoes.  You won't have to feed the fish at all in the ssummer!!  Fish like White Cloud Mountain Minows or Zebra Danios are great at finding all the small bugs.  They don't last over winter but  when you bring them in, they are undemanding as far as tank care is concerned...no heater, a simple sponge filter and bi-weekly water changes.

veron

mosquitoes can't breed in moving water so you should be fine.

RedFish

Thank you all.    I have now been told I can definitely have the tub (yay!) so I just need to go have a look at it and haul it home.   I don't want to have to line it, so since it is all free, I think I will simply move the floating plants I have into it this year, and see how it goes.   Next year I can add some tall and/or more interesting plants.

Yes, I plan to have moving water so no mosquitoe larvae.

I know some people take the more expensive pond plants out and just winter them in a tub in the basement.   I'll have to see how that works out, we don't have much basement space.

Dave and Diane

If you are going to paint or resurface it here is a possibility.

http://www.tubbycanada.com/colourpallete.php

Cheers

Brine

Quote from: Dave and Diane on July 23, 2009, 10:09:21 PM
If you are going to paint or resurface it here is a possibility.

http://www.tubbycanada.com/colourpallete.php

Cheers

I didn't use this particular product but I did use a similar one a few years ago to resurface a tub and I would STRONGLY suggest NOT doing it indoors as this stuff is INCREDIBLY toxic and strong smelling. I had a headache for days and had to actually move out of the place for most of a week. Admittedly it was winter so I could not open the windows for ventilation so it might not be so bad in the summer. I would NEVER do it again myself.

Before you think...well maybe he is sensitive to that kind of chemical smell, let me tell you that I worked in auto body shops for decades with no trouble. This stuff is SERIOUSLY strong.

RedFish

Dave and Diane - thanks that is really neat, and reasonably priced.

Brine - If I decided to use it, I will make sure only to use it outside (or in garage) and I have a expensive face mask to wear as well.

I haven't seen the tub yet, but my inclination is to use it this year with my existing plants, and then paint/Tubby it the following year if I like the setup.  Only then will I buy more expensive plants and consider fish.

Bwhiskered

Quote from: RedFish on July 23, 2009, 01:00:17 PM
I have the opportunity to get a clawfoot tub.   Has been used as a water trough for horses.   I was thinking of setting it up in my backyard and just loading it with plants, no fish, as they would not be able to over winter in it.

I have a small pump and fountain to create movement on the water surface.

Can you think of any negatives, what if it has rust showing, should I paint it or leave it, ie will the rust harm plants?

A pump that sprays water and keeps the surface of plant leaves wet will drown the plants. All plants that grow emersed leaves rely on them to breath.

For plants or anything else to live in the tub over the winter the tub should be sunk in the ground.

Don't worry about West Nile and mosquitoes. They will still be here long after the last human leaves this planet. Europe has lived with West Nile for a long time. It only kills a few weak people on the front of a first wave going through an area. A band wagon for businesses to make money. Raise some in a tub in your yard. It is the best and cheapest live food you can get. At one time I collected the big black early mosquito larva from a pond in a conservation area. There were ribbon snakes frogs and salamanders in the pond as well as dragonfly larva and other insects. A week later the idiots treated it and everything was either dead or gone. And they think they know about conservation.

RedFish

Quote from: Bwhiskered on July 26, 2009, 07:34:24 AM
A pump that sprays water and keeps the surface of plant leaves wet will drown the plants. All plants that grow emersed leaves rely on them to breath.

For plants or anything else to live in the tub over the winter the tub should be sunk in the ground.

Thank you - the pump doesn't spray, it creates ripples on the surface, so it should be fine.

For now, I will either winter plants indoors, or get new ones each year.   Luckily there are many ovas members with ponds, and it is easy and cheap to get new plants each year.    I want to keep the pond raised, as I want to keep my dog out of it.   However, if I can create a design that she finds awkward to get in, then maybe I could sink the tub.     

I also don't want to sink the tub, because I am afraid the person giving it to me will ask for it back!   Don't know her well enough, to know if she will change her mind.   So keeping it above ground for a year should take care of that. 

RedFish

I've done a complete 180 on this project.   Decided that I wanted to be able to look down into a pond, whereas the tub would be the feature in itself.    It would need plants creeping over the side and a fountain, which would be cool, but I've decided not to.

Got an inground pond instead!