New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Multiple tank stand/ breeding set up

Started by Graham, June 25, 2014, 10:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham

Hi all, I have decided that with these crazy africans that keep breeding, that I must make a bit of a multi tank stand that consists of preferably 3 ten gallons below on the bottom rack and a 3ft tank, or two 18 inch tanks on top. This would just be used to grow out or isolate fish, and once they're grown out they would go into a 70 gallon. I will make a build plan and share it when completed. Pictures will then follow suit!

angelcraze

I know what you mean, they keep on breeding, babies everywhere.  I dipped into Africans for a short time and got overwhelmed, if I do it again, which I want to, I will have to do a crazy community thing, but props to you for figuring out a plan.  Let us know how it goes!!!!
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

fischkopp

This is how every fishroom starts. :) It's quite fun to setup a shelf or two with a purpose in mind. I have done this, so let me share some of my experiences: I find it's best to have an arrangement of equal sized tanks. 15/20/30 is probably your best choice. I would use the 15 for breeding, or for quite small fry, although it's already quite small for this. For most fry I prefer hang-in boxes that I would setup in a 30gal. That will keep the water good for a longer period of time. I have a few 10gal, but I find them too small if you have many or bigger fish, so I keep them for killie and shrimp only now. Another thing you want to think about is ease of maintenance as you will need to do a lot of water changes and you don't want that to take too much time. I like to keep it simple and have sponge filters in all tanks, some serve as main filtration, some as backup for another filter. It's also neat if you can centralize the system, having a common sump, in which case tank sizes don't matter much... Lot's of things you can do. Curious how you are going to realize it. :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Graham

Okay so it has been quite some time since I last posted to this thread. I am laughing at my original post as I have definitely increased the size of the original stand design. I took the advice and switched my idea of 10 gallon tanks to raise fry to 20 tanks along the bottom row. I increased the length of the stand to just over 4 feet long so I can fit two twenty gallons down below and fit a 55 gallon tank comfortably up top. I am still looking for a 55 gallon tank which is why it is not pictured on the stand.

guck

Thanks for the pictures.  I am not into cichlids, but alway nice to see stands pictures.  Are the supports for the 55gal 2X6s?  It's probably just me, but I would feel more comfortable if there was a center post.

Graham

Quote from: guck on September 12, 2014, 06:53:48 PM
Thanks for the pictures.  I am not into cichlids, but alway nice to see stands pictures.  Are the supports for the 55gal 2X6s?  It's probably just me, but I would feel more comfortable if there was a center post.
At first I thought about putting in center posts, but I didn't want to make the stand longer to hold the 20 gallons. Instead I used 2x6's to support the weight horizontally and carry it to the corner supports.

lucius

I have a 75 gallon which is the same length as the 55 gallon.  When I built my stand, the trim of the tank added an extra half inch so I built my stand to be 48.5" long.  How far apart are your vertical posts?

guck

Pretty much like lucius, my 75 is on a 50 inch long stand.  I wanted some play in the event I want to build a small shelving for plants or stuff.  I put middle posts but it's 75g and 2X4s

I would make sure it won't have tendency to rack too.

Graham

Yes lucius I made sure to do the same thing. I just measured my spacing and it is 48.5" as well. The tank should fit into the opening no problem.