New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Whiskey barrel pond

Started by beowulf, June 27, 2007, 10:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

A small whiskey barrel pound would require filtration or not?  If I was to buy the one PFG has for sale I was going to add plants and some guppies to eat the skeeter eggs.  Would the plants filter it enough or one something have to be added to water movement etc?

mseguin

It would be best to have at least a small pump to move water

beowulf

Quote from: mseguin on June 27, 2007, 11:13:39 AM
It would be best to have at least a small pump to move water

That is what I thought.  Do they make outdoor ones?  I am going to have to do some research.

mseguin

Yeah a small statuary pump should do the trick

gvv

I'm agree with mseguin.
From esthetically point of view moving water is great. As well it will be aerated, and if you will have water surface movement, mosquitoes will not lay so much eggs as they will do witout it.
Besides I just don't like the swamp view with standing water...

You may find a lot of different types of pumps for ponds and not only in LFS, but e.g. in Home Depot, CT, etc.

Regards

mseguin

It will definitely help with circulation around the plants roots

beowulf

Sounds logical enough.  I am going to look into it for sure and see what is pest to add.

RedFish

Although you already have the liner, I bought the liner and pump from SuperPet (Barrhaven) on a 50% sale.  It includes 3 fountain heads.  It was $60.

kennyman

Ron used to have some pictures of his barrel pond around here somewhere. There was a plant in it that I think he sold at one of the auctions. The thing must have been 4' tall   :D

Good luck with your barrel pond. One of the great things about them is the lack of dead frogs in the spring provided you empty it. I hate frog carcases.

dan2x38

Of course these are for goldfish? You could only put 1? Never heard of these way KEWL...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

beowulf

Quote from: dan2x38 on June 29, 2007, 11:20:50 PM
Of course these are for goldfish? You could only put 1? Never heard of these way KEWL...

Goldfish get to big, going to use white clouds since they can take the temps better.

babblefish1960

A  nice live bearer such as swordtails would work throughout the summer too, they add a bit of colour splash, and suffer temperature changes well.

beowulf

Quote from: babblefish1960 on June 30, 2007, 11:59:28 PM
A  nice live bearer such as swordtails would work throughout the summer too, they add a bit of colour splash, and suffer temperature changes well.

I had thought about that also....swords or guppies not sure yet....

dan2x38

wow that all sounds way cool... could you use mollys if you made it brackish?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

babblefish1960

If you made it brackish, it would no longer be a pond, it would be an estuary, and mollies are perfectly fine in freshwater, it is a very adaptable fish, just not very colourful from above.

Crumpet

I will throw my vote behind the swords, I think they'd be really sharp -- nice splashes of colour you can see from above.  Or maybe platies?  They're nice and colourful, too.

Sue

I've had mollies outside in past years and they grew like crazy. Black ones show up surprisingly well, their babies are cute and reminded me of tadpoles.
As Babble said any will livebear work outside, just don't leave them outside much past early Sept.

White clouds will do great in your barrel and you'll be treated to 'poor man's neon' fry.  I put 5 adults in a 60 G pond this spring and there's a school of fry in there with them already. Gold WWMM are much more visible from above than regular colored ones.

beowulf

I guess ponds in general and even little ones like this do not require traditional water changes, right?  Just let the rain fill it up?

rockgarden

The plant that Kennyman referred to was a Royal Taro and it certainly did grow well.  I overwintered it for a couple of years but it didn't make it through last winter for some reason.

Gold white clouds are a better choice than the regular white clouds because you can see them better in the outdoor pond. I decided to put my Yellow Labs outside this year and only a couple didn't make the transition to the outdoors.  I had them indoors at 70 degrees for a month prior to the transfer so there wasn't any temperature shock but likely didn't take to well to the softer water outdoors but rest are doing fine.

Zebra Danios also have no problem being outdoors and are certainly active surface feeders.

Ron