New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Update: all 5 are in and doing good! 2 of my Koi's are in for the winter

Started by renadia, October 07, 2007, 06:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Pond Boy

Quote from: Sue on October 11, 2007, 01:21:41 PM
I'd love to see photo's of this gazebo with the viewing floor, when you are done. It sounds like a really cool idea!

Sue,

I hope to have it ready in July next year. Will be for sure on the Pond Tour next year. I will post pictures when it is ready and if you want to come over for a peek, you are very welcome.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

The Pond Boy

Quote from: renadia on October 11, 2007, 01:15:38 PM
Oh boy, That's a lot of tanks!  :D Your basement must be full, how many fish do you have in the house?
Do you keep your Koi's outside in your pond?

Diane

Diane,

I will have about 120 fish, from 2 inch until 18 inch in the three tanks. They are located in my detached and warmed garage. The temperature there will be about 10 degrees in the winter.  I will bring in this year the fish in from our pond for the first time. Like to "experiment" and learn from the results and so far I learned a lot the last couple of years. I will also bring in all the plants from the pond, the perennials and also the tropicals. They go also in the garage on 10 degrees until march 1. Then I will increase the temperature until 22 degrees. When I put them back in the pond, they will look really nice.

The Pond Boy

Quote from: renadia on October 11, 2007, 01:12:29 PM
Those are amazing projects! My pond is really small compared to that. It's even missing stone  :D ran out of them, I will have to find some more for next year. We built a waterfall that's bigger then the pond  ;D ;D but I have a really good pump so no problem getting the water going. I'm already planning changes for next year, what's neat is that the pond is located in front of my living room window so we can see the fish from the living room. My problem is that I don't have a backyard only a front yard and I can't go deeper than 2'. To keep fish in 24" means you need a water heater but you figure that heating for the whole winter it must get expensive on the hydro bill.
Have you posted pictures of your pond? I would like to see it.  I posted some of mine you can see the size of the waterfall  ;D
Good luck with your company, it's nice to do something you really enjoy.

Thanks for all the advice

Diane

Diane, 

To keep your fish outside, your pond need to be at least 20-24 inches deep. To keep the hydro bill low in the winter, I would suggest to buy a big air pump with a big airstone. This will keep easy a hole in the ice on a nice winter day. If the hole becomes about 2", then you plug in your heater for 6-8 hours. After the 6-8 hours the hole in the ice is big enough and you unplug the heater. This is the trick to save on your hydro bill. If you need any help with  your pump, don't hesitate to ask for help.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

renadia

Quote from: The Pond Boy on October 11, 2007, 04:02:38 PM
Sue,

I hope to have it ready in July next year. Will be for sure on the Pond Tour next year. I will post pictures when it is ready and if you want to come over for a peek, you are very welcome.
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg
Can I go peek to?  ;D  :-*

The Pond Boy

Quote from: renadia on October 12, 2007, 12:02:50 PM
Can I go peek to?  ;D  :-*

Sue,

Sure also you are very welcome.....
Thanks,

The Pond Boy,
Greg

dan2x38

Quote from: renadia on October 11, 2007, 01:25:09 PM
Thanks Dan sure will take the offer  :) I never say no to free stuff ;)  Will you be at the Oct meeting?

Yes I will - send me a PM the day before to remind me... I got a great memory but it is short...  :D

I read about your pond only being 2' deep... what about making it on top of a mound then have grass and bush on the sides to hold the earth togeather? Just brain storming... I guess that is a silly idea...  ::)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."