New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new pond depth and ottawa bylaws

Started by markw, February 03, 2009, 06:23:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markw

I've put ponds in each of my last 4 houses in various cities across Canada, and would like to do the same here. I was hoping someone might know the current Ottawa regs. regarding ponds, their depth and requirements for fencing. I live on a 5 acre property in Cumberland and it is technically in the Ottawa city limits. We have a lot of ground water just a few feet below the surface resulting in lots of standing water year round. I'd like to dig a large pond, probably 40' X 60' and at least 4 feet deep so to overwinter the koi. I don't want to put up a fence, and I've called the city and they seem to only know regs for pools. Ironically my next door neighbour has a natural pond thats at least 20' deep with no fence.
Anyway, if anyone knows the regs, I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks

Anja

Afaik, in Ontario, any artificially-retained water (i.e. liner or similar) deeper than 2' is considered a swimming pool and subject to the respective bylaw. But where water naturally accumulates and no artificial retention such as a liner or concrete dam is used, it is free of legal impediments no matter what its size, depth or location.
!However, your insurance company might have a different view, and municipal governments can make their own bylaws. Ottawa doesn't seem to make the artificial/natural distinction, but only exempts some farm use:

http://www.ottawa.ca/residents/bylaw/a_z/pool_enclosures_en.html

With our own pond we had to stay small anyway, because of a small backyard, and chose to stay within the 2' maximum depth to avoid any hassle.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

dan2x38

Quote from: markw on February 03, 2009, 06:23:44 PM
I've put ponds in each of my last 4 houses in various cities across Canada, and would like to do the same here. I was hoping someone might know the current Ottawa regs. regarding ponds, their depth and requirements for fencing. I live on a 5 acre property in Cumberland and it is technically in the Ottawa city limits. We have a lot of ground water just a few feet below the surface resulting in lots of standing water year round. I'd like to dig a large pond, probably 40' X 60' and at least 4 feet deep so to overwinter the koi. I don't want to put up a fence, and I've called the city and they seem to only know regs for pools. Ironically my next door neighbour has a natural pond thats at least 20' deep with no fence.
Anyway, if anyone knows the regs, I'd appreciate the info.
Thanks

Try 311 City Info.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

woodendude

I thought it was anything above 23"( actually, anything that has the ability to hold over 23" of water, so if the pond depth dry is 25" but you only put 23" of water in it, it is still considered 25" deep) in depth was considered a pool and then the pool safety rules and regs would kick in (Anjas link) 

KLKelly

I can't help you with the laws.  I would love a pond one day but the windows and the roof will be before that so probably years and years away.

Just wanted to ask if you did get a pond set up (and one that big sounds amazing) - can local ovas members stop by once in a blue moon for koi feeding time?

dan2x38

Quote from: KLKelly on February 03, 2009, 10:45:20 PM
I can't help you with the laws.  I would love a pond one day but the windows and the roof will be before that so probably years and years away.

Just wanted to ask if you did get a pond set up (and one that big sounds amazing) - can local ovas members stop by once in a blue moon for koi feeding time?

Sorry Mark for thread-jacking but KLKelly the Ottawa Pond Society has a pond parade each year. Not sure when must be posted on their site though. I always want to check it out. Pondboy knows I bet ya.
Voltaire:

KLKelly

KLKelly

Hey Mark - I just called my mom who works for one of the councellors.  She could look it up for you but she recommends emailing and they will get back to you in writing.  I didn't know about this service.

Did you find out the answer?

I would expect if its too deep its treated like a swimming pool and you would need a high enough fence around it.

I've never built a pond before - maybe you should start a blog thread about it and your planning and we can watch it develop.

Karrie

Fishnut

We're putting in a pond this year too, only it's limited to 10' x 10'.  We're building it mostly above ground though so we're not going to be digging more than a foot onto the ground.  I'll also have to contact the city about my pond building this year, so perhaps we can both create a thread about it.  I live right in the city.

Does anyone know of a good contractor?

markw

Thanks everyone for the info. I have called ottawa 311, but the problem is that they don't seem to understand the difference between a pond and a pool. As Anja said, it is not going to have a liner, but just a clay base. Because of the ground water issue, I need to go deep to ensure a constant water depth during the summer, and to keep the koi over winter. I'll now be able to quote a few bylaws when I call next.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

dan2x38

Quote from: markw on February 06, 2009, 01:45:13 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I have called ottawa 311, but the problem is that they don't seem to understand the difference between a pond and a pool. As Anja said, it is not going to have a liner, but just a clay base. Because of the ground water issue, I need to go deep to ensure a constant water depth during the summer, and to keep the koi over winter. I'll now be able to quote a few bylaws when I call next.
I'll keep you posted.
Thanks

Either way Mark if you do 1/2 the amount of work on this pond as your cichlid set-ups I would love to come see it when you finish it... hint-hint  8) I am sure it will be awesome! It's a nice drive out there too.
Voltaire:

markw

Quote from: KLKelly on February 05, 2009, 12:24:55 PM
Hey Mark - I just called my mom who works for one of the councellors.  She could look it up for you but she recommends emailing and they will get back to you in writing.  I didn't know about this service.

Did you find out the answer?

I would expect if its too deep its treated like a swimming pool and you would need a high enough fence around it.

I've never built a pond before - maybe you should start a blog thread about it and your planning and we can watch it develop.

Karrie
Thanks Karrie. I emailed and hopefully will hear something back soon.

The Pond Boy

Hi,

For a pond with liner, the max. depth is 24 inches. If you go deeper, you need to fence it. A clay pond has almost always murky water, so that means that you can't see the fish. That is the reason why I prefer a lined pond.
Thanks,

Greg

markw

I emailed the city on February 8 and asked about bylaws. Still waiting for an answer!
I realize liners are great for clarity as I've built at least 5 different ponds in different homes across the country. But this one needs to be big. At least 60 feet X 20 and since I didn't win the 48 million on Saturday, I don't think I can afford a liner that big! Actually the clay here is very stable and I've seen several ponds similar to this and the clarity is surprising. I plan on installing a wind vane on a tower to run a air blower to run a gigantic sponge filter that I'm working on. It should act as a biological and particle filter also supplying oxygen. The main purpose of the pond though will be for drainage. The water table is so high that I spend the entire season digging drainage paths.

The Pond Boy

Hi,

First a liner isn't that expensive, less then $1 a square feet.

Your idea bout the wind vane will not clear up the water, most likely it make it worse. It are the little clay pieces that makes the water murky. For sure the koi like murky water but it doesn't give you a nice view of your pond. By the way you can get the government tax refund also on installing ponds in your backyard. If you have a water problem on your property, I am not sure that a pond will sove it. Most likely a drainage system will do a better job, or a rain water harvesting system.
Check out: http://www.rainxchange.com If you are interested in this, please drop a line.

Thanks,

Greg Veldhuizen
The Pond Boy
www.thepondboy.com

bac

i have two large ponds dug in clay ,put them in three years back,i now can see 4ft down takes time but they come around. ps no liner