New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Possible SCAM/HEALTH alert: lighting

Started by dpatte, June 11, 2007, 09:21:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speckledmind

Very interesting post.

Sylvain and I have done some extensive research on lighting over the course of several months, and have come up with some interesting findings and conclusions  :o

I will give you a hint " buyer beware "  :-X

I'm interested in reading what dpatte will come up with and writes on future posts.

Cheers,
Denis

dan2x38

I know when I use soem tubes I can see the difference in my tanks... vendors claim the tubes will last for 5000 hours or more... should we still be replacing them between 9-12 months?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

ryancarman.com

Quote from: speckledmind on June 22, 2007, 06:24:20 PM

Sylvain and I have done some extensive research on lighting over the course of several months, and have come up with some interesting findings and conclusions  :o

any conclusions
??

dpatte

Quote from: dan2x38 on June 22, 2007, 06:29:46 PM
I know when I use soem tubes I can see the difference in my tanks... vendors claim the tubes will last for 5000 hours or more... should we still be replacing them between 9-12 months?

There is no doubt that different bulbs have different colours - but just not the temperatures or spectrums they are indicating on their packaging, it seems.

Quality compact flourescents are supposed only lose part of their brightness in 2-3 years, according to my friend in the lighting business. They probably use cheap phosphors on the ones we pay more for in our hobby, and prefer if we buy them more often  :D

BigDaddy

Here are the spectral charts I found online for the Coralife 6700K and 10,000K

Maybe you got a misprint David?

As far as reading goes, this is a very well written thread that provides some additional insight

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/science-aquatic-lighting/38014-lighting-planted-aquarium.html

[attachment deleted by admin]

speckledmind

Quote from: speckledmind on June 22, 2007, 06:24:20 PM

Quote from: ryancarman.com on June 22, 2007, 06:30:16 PM
any conclusions ??

Yes !
And facts.
Everything is backed up by some serious testing, in a controlled saltwater environment.

If you dig deep enough to get past the Myths ( because there are tons of them, including those on other piece of equipment ), and put aside all the publicity from companies wanting to sell you there newer and better things, you will find some answers.

dan2x38

Quote from: BigDaddy on June 22, 2007, 06:57:28 PM
Here are the spectral charts I found online for the Coralife 6700K and 10,000K

Maybe you got a misprint David?

As far as reading goes, this is a very well written thread that provides some additional insight

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/science-aquatic-lighting/38014-lighting-planted-aquarium.html

but what about T12 high quality standard lighting tubes from lighting stores? they do sell full spectrum for plants in office buildings, etc...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."