New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

DarkDep's Ultimate DIY: 8 Foot 300 Gallon Tank

Started by darkdep, October 03, 2007, 10:28:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Looks like the last few days of NOT talking fish with the wife have paid off.

I just got my "foot" back...I'm putting the tank along a different wall now, and after we talked about what she wanted out of the room, she told me an 8 foot tank was feasible "over on that wall".  YES!!!  What rocks, is that the wall the side is against is separating the main room from the laundry room.  So, with very little work, I'll be able to plumb the sump directly into a utility sink drain, and will be probably be able to plumb an incoming water line into the sump as well.  That will make maintenance easier for sure.

So, at the moment, 96" x 24" x 24" is the aimed for size.  I might add an inch or two to the width and depth but will not go 30" high (don't want thicker glass).

I have a lead on a Tennessee company that makes Acrylic tanks that seems to have extremely reasonable prices...waiting for a shipping quote from them.  Failing that, I'm back to the original plan of building with glass.  Shouldn't be long now.

Wall is up and fully mudded.  Tomorrow my wife is going to prime it, and we'll paint in a day or two (whatever colour she wants :) ).  Then I'll start the stand.

bitterman

darkdep

Christmas slows things down.  I'm back to the original plan of building with glass.  My hope over the few days I have off is to get the wall painted it's final colour and get the frame of the stand built.  I'll likely put in my glass order just after Christmas, and plan for a weekend day for the build pending availability of several fine folks from OVAS :)

sniggir

sounds good Chris I have alot more avaliblity in the new year
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

dan2x38

Quote from: DarkDep on December 18, 2007, 08:57:43 AM
Christmas slows things down.  I'm back to the original plan of building with glass.  My hope over the few days I have off is to get the wall painted it's final colour and get the frame of the stand built.  I'll likely put in my glass order just after Christmas, and plan for a weekend day for the build pending availability of several fine folks from OVAS :)

Like I said Chris can't do the brute force stuff any more because of my back but can do small tasks... like hold braces, etc... or just stand around and look pretty! LMAO If you need me let me know.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

darkdep

Will do.  There's a certain amount of desire to get two of the BA special 150's and put them side by side...but that probably won't pass the committee!  Most likely the original plan is going to happen and I'll definitely ask for your help :)

Shrimpy

Quote from: DarkDep on December 18, 2007, 03:16:02 PM
There's a certain amount of desire to get two of the BA special 150's and put them side by side...

LOL I was thinking the same thing!  ;D

darkdep

It would be cheaper, easier...and gives me 12ft of tank instead of 8!!  :)

Shrimpy

I was thinking back to front. More of a square shape. Remove the back glass on one and the front glass on the other and silicone the heck out of it. One big tank!  :D

busdriver

Chris, if you're still thinking of a 300 gallon acrylic tank, check out TFH for February, page 120-121, it's under the heading "Fish Nut".
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

dan2x38

In your new house you can make sure you have all the plumbing & electrical retro fitted before ya move in. Even set your tank pad in before hand too. I bet you can't wait but I am sure like me there are many who can't wait either. I/we can live precariously for my/our huge tank dreams through your experience!  8)

Have to post pics of the 210...  ???
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

darkdep

To finish off this thread...

This plan has been officially postponed.  My wife and I have decided that a new home in the next couple years is a goal for our family, and the non-removable nature of this project is counter to that.  So, I've bought a new 210gallon tank which will be my show tank for the next while.  It's only 6 feet instead of 8, but it can be moved from the house when we get a new one, and will still be an impressive sight.  I'm still planning the full sump setup and custom stand/lighting, so I'll document that for anyone interested.

audioslave_36

An impressive sight indeed, but now you are over the 24" mark that you were so determined not to cross.  ::)   Its all good though Chris, you learn to adapt. Get used to wet shirt sleeves  ;D.  I know I have. And once again I am around if you need help to move it into your house.

Dave

sniggir

90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

darkdep

Thanks guys.  Yes, I AM over the 24"...But as you said, we learn to adapt.  Pressure from the other half can be very convincing (she LOVES the height).  And, as I said to someone in line on boxing day...I could still go ahead with the DIY and be on my own, and deal with it when we move, or get this and have total interest and support from my wife.  I think I'll take that. 

She's still scrunching her face up at the sump tho.  She doesn't get that at all.  :)