New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Setup Log: DarkDep's 210 Gallon African Reef Project

Started by darkdep, January 07, 2008, 10:59:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Just thought I'd start throwing up some pictures now that things are happening fast and furiously.

As some of you know, I was planning a DIY tank in my basement for some time, but finally came to the conclusion that since I don't expect to live in this house more than a few more years, that a giant non-removable tank wasn't a smart thing to install.  So, during boxing week I settled on a 210gallon tank from BA for my "big tank".

The tank is arriving any day at BA Kanata, and they will be delivering it for a very reasonable fee.

The room was a not-quite-finished room I used as a fishroom for some time, but have now made strides to make it more of an actual room.

Photos:

- Drywall is up.
- My Mitre Saw and Dust Collection System :)
- Construction of the base

[attachment deleted by admin]

darkdep

The base is larger than the top.  This is to accommodate a large Biotower on the right side which will be hidden later by a door.  Bit of an experiment here.  Base is standard 2x4, 16inch separation between joists.

For those of you wondering what a "void" in plywood is, pic attached.  The Plywood I had cut at Home Depot, as it's easier that way.  It is 3/4" Paint-Grade Maple.

I used a Circular Saw to trim off the excess for the top. 

darkdep

In order to ensure I only needed a single sheet, I had to do something a bit weird with the plywood on the bottom.  The gap will be filled later with plywood strips. 

Now, Saran wrapping the basement to bring in the colour.

Painted the Ceiling with that cool pink-turns-white Ceiling paint, and the walls a colour called "Fire Dance".

darkdep

Shots of the general construction.  Corners are 2x6, mostly because I had them in my garage.

Very simple construction here, as I had little time for elegance.  Metal Brackets holding everything together.

darkdep

Attaching everything together, and filling the gap on the bottom platform.

Here's where we are at the end of today.

RoxyDog

yay!  I love the wall colour, should contrast with the fish nicely!   :D  (yes, b/c it's all about the fish)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

The wall colour is a bit intense...but the idea is that the stand will be stained a dark brown, with brass hardware.  Floor will (eventually) be some kind of laminate or tile, and the other walls in the room will be a lighter beige. 

All greek to me, I don't know anything about colour.  This is all my wife's work :)

matt

I agree with Roxydog, it's a really nice wall colour.
Stand looking good too. Are you finishing it off with doors,trims....the whole nine yards? Another question about the stand, how tall is?

sdivell

Looks good Chris, look forward to seeing the finishing touches put on it.

One question, when you're done with it can I store my car on it?  ;)

darkdep

The full trim is going on.  In fact, I hope to start that today if the girls allow it.  One needs help with exam studying, and one is going through a general cranky phase, and my wife can only take one :) Yet, the tank is coming, so the stand must go on :)

sdivell:  Are you suggesting it's overbuilt?  :)

At this point the carpet has been cut and removed for the stand, as I want it directly on the concrete.  The disadvantage to this is that the concrete is of course uneven...so shimming this baby is a bit of a nightmare.  I wanted the base flat on the ground, so I've been shimming and then recutting the supports to level out the top.  The trim when put on will hide any un-evenness in the leg lengths.  It's about 5/8" off over the 6 feet.

sdivell

The stands a little overbuilt only due to the 2x6 but i understand if thats all you had, always cheaper to use materials on hand then to go give the big orange box for money  ;)

did you consider making a small batch of self leveling compound to just level out the dips and ridges in that section of the floor?

darkdep

The 2x6's I got a few months ago as a neighbour ripped out a section of floor and "knew I was into wood".  So, they've been sitting in my garage since then.  I used them mostly to get rid of them :)

I did consider the compound...but as I have no experience with it, spent all my money on the tank, and have little time to work with it, I just went with shimming.  As you're probably well aware, construction lumber isn't straight or true, so I pretty much assumed I'd need to shim anyway.  S'ok, at this point the shimming is all done and the stand is level in all directions.  Yay!

But now the girls are home and someone sounds like they're having a crisis...sounds like project work is stopping for the moment :(

sdivell

Oh ya don't need to tell me about lumber being straight... I got 2x2's at home depot on the weekend to fix my stand and a couple of them i could have used as a hockey stick!   ;D

Glad its coming along and looking forward to watching this one.

Vizerdrix

Looking good Chris!  Reminds me a lot of the sides of my pond, I used the same principal. :)

As for the colour of the wall, I had to run for my sunglasses.  8)  It's quite nice though, just a shock from the previous photos!

littlelil

Wow, looks great! i LOVE the color of the wall!! i love it! hey, i have the same tape meaure!

in picture 021 i see that the vertical wood that are on the left-hand side of the stand are not on a piece of wood underneath on the base. Doesn't this defeat the purpose of it? Or is it only there to help support the other piece vertical pieces?

BigMomma

Quote from: DarkDep on January 08, 2008, 03:08:33 PM
But now the girls are home and someone sounds like they're having a crisis...sounds like project work is stopping for the moment :(
Looks great Chris, tell you what when you resume work again, I'll trade you a Big guy for a little girl!  :)

darkdep

Deal!  :)

Lil:  In Picture 21 you're right, there is no joist directly under the verticals on the left.  Not sure how I missed that :)  Luckily nothing's bolted to the walls yet.

washefuzzy

Wow! That sure looks good and sturdy. such a simple design but effective. 8)

littlelil

Quote from: DarkDep on January 08, 2008, 08:33:17 PM
In Picture 21 you're right, there is no joist directly under the verticals on the left.  Not sure how I missed that :)  Luckily nothing's bolted to the walls yet.

LOL well then, i guess that makes a lot more sense :) I'm excited to see the final result!

RossW

On one end of the stand the bottom is about 2' longer than the top.  Why is this?