New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

broken power head from auction.. how do i fix??

Started by redbelly, March 06, 2005, 08:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

squeeker

Quotecontact the seller

Ditto.

If it were me who was the seller, I would hope you'd call.  It's better to give the seller a chance to redeem themself.

dannypd

Just a thought, I've fixed the 'rod' by using a plastic 'foot' that came with my pizza.  Or, you could pop by the dollar store and buy some plastic tooth pics (the extra large ones).  Infact, anything that'll fit the shaft is fine.

Just a note, do not use metalic based items, and plastic WILL wear FAST.

If the motor burned out as well, it's not worth the repair.  Normally they dont burn out easily, even with a broken impeller.  UNLESS you ran it out of the water...

dougb

Was it not in the rules that all equipment had to be in working order unless otherwise marked?  I think I remember reading that...  If so, the seller owes redbelly a refund.

redbelly

Quote from: "Julie"
RedBelly:  Did you have a corona box?

Julie

Yup!! that was me! no caronas in the box though :(

slickshooter

Why are impellers made from plastic and not steel?

"Great question lol When I also asked the Hagen desinging staff that same question, Ceramic vs Steel they do claim it to be more cooler running , more faster and silent, and better material making it more longer lasting durabilty "

That seems crazy to me.I'm not debating it was said to you at all.Just think its funny they tried to justify it like that.

I have a propeller on my 50hp outboard mercury.Oddly its made of steel.I have hit log heads in the water with no effect.Once however I took a slice out of one of the blades.I guess Mercury motors probably the leading manufacturer of aquatic engines in the world didn't know to make it out of plastic !!!
I'm curious also how temperature comes into play.....I'd think It'd run pretty cool, it is under water constantly.
If making them out of plastic makes them "faster,silent...and have longer lasting durability.......why has Mr Dpatte had to throw multiple units out?
Obviously there is a limit to how wellcrafted an item can be made vs the price point they shoot for but should they really be breaking?
Hopefully you are righted with the issue at hand.
Cheers

dpatte

singer sewing machines used to be made with all steel parts. When they nearly went bankrupt in the early 1900s, it was because every household already had a singer, so nobody was buying.

They then changed many of there internal gears to plastic, insuring that they now sells machines every year.

Its called 'planned obsolescence' and most manufactureser do it to insure they dont disappear like singer almost did.

This could be the concept behind the ceramic shaft, since its the only thing that seems to break in Pro filters.

Discouraging eh?

Marc

The other factor besides 'planned obsolescence' is that 50 cents at manufacturing time can make a difference of $2 to $5 in the retail price.  Competition being what it is that price difference can impact sales.

dannypd

You can not use a metal shaft in an impeller based design.

The way the motor is designed with its magnetic field, your metal rod would become a good inductor and take a lot of energy out of the motor.

Anubias

It's worth it to replace the impeller. For $23 it's a good PH. I replced mine once on  a Pro 4.

redbelly

The thing is that replacing it will bring me to a total cost of $40. For that same price I can get a new powerhead with the sweep function - which I would prefer for the price.

328iGuy

Did you ever try contacting the seller?  What was the outcome?  :shock:

redbelly

I am in the process of trying to contact the seller corrently through the ovas moderators and will keep everyone informed as to what the outcome is.

328iGuy

Quote from: "redbelly"I am in the process of trying to contact the seller corrently through the ovas moderators and will keep everyone informed as to what the outcome is.

Sounds good.  So they aren't a frequenter on the forum I assume then?  :(

redbelly

no unfortunately not, otherwise im sure this would have been taken care of a while ago.

Marc

redbelly,  

The vendor has agreed to take the powerhead back and return your money.  You will need to make arrangements with the vendor to meet him (at an OVAS meeting would be a good place and time).  I will send you his email address by pm.

You paid $15 for the powerhead so he will refund you $11.25 and OVAS will refund you $3.75.

Marc

james

Hi
I agree with Pegasis rmark that if the item has a problem it should be marked . I don't sell anything that does not work properly and test anything b.efore bringing it in to sell
However, I have had a few items that were perfectly working, but were damaged by  the people at the auction.
I had one heater damaged . It must have been knocked around when people were viewing it. And it was working perfectly the night before. I bought  it in carefully and wrapped them in newspaper. In this case who is responsible the seller , the buyer, or the club?
Last year I had 2 -10 gal tanks. that got cracked during the auction I couldn't sell them and had to take them back..

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

BigDaddy

That was one thing I appreciated.

I bought a heater off of James at one auction.  Before he gave it to me, he powered it up and made me touch the glass to ensure it got hot.

Always nice to know your dealing with a straight shooter!  :mrgreen:

redbelly

Thank you very much Marc. You can keep the money that belongs to the club though, i dont mind that portion at all.