New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Feeding Timer

Started by Saltcreep, May 05, 2008, 11:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saltcreep

After thread jacking another thread with this, I thought I'd post it here where it should be. The problem is how to prevent flake food from being pulled into filter intakes and overflows before it gets eaten. Of course, the simple answer is to turn off all these devices while feeding; the problem is remembering to turn them back on. The solution requires two simple parts and a bit of wiring. First, you need a relay powered by 120 volts, capable of switching 120 volts, with a NC (normally closed) position. The second item is a fan or light timer similar to those you see in hotel bathrooms to control the heat lamp. They are sold in hardware stores and are fairly inexpensive. I can't provide any more details as to cost or availablility because I already had all the parts I needed in my various junk boxes. You should be able to find an inexpensive relay at places like The Source or Reset Electronics. To set this up, have the power to the relay coil switched through the fan timer control. Then, set up a power bar (or whatever) that is connected to the NC circuitry in the relay. You may need to wire a duplex box and receptacle into the relay output. With the fan switch in the OFF position, current passes through the NC path in the relay to the powerbar to which you have connected all your water moving devices. At feeding time, set the rotary fan switch to the number of minutes you want all those devices to remain off. Once energized by the fan switch, the NC circuit in the relay will open, cutting power to the power bar. When the timer clicks to zero, the relay closes again, turning those devices back on.

Works like a charm.