New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I WANT! LED light by Ecoxotic

Started by groan, March 12, 2010, 03:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

http://www.tankgadget.com/2010/03/ecoxotic-led-lights-wow/

I need new lights, but do i need $1500 lights?
The benefits are great for LED though. 50000 hours life? wow.
no light changes for 50000 hours.
wow.
How much would you save over the course of 2 years?

(excuse me while I pimp my site in the process :) )

JetJumper

I really don't know how they justify the cost of these LED Lights.  LED's are cheap to manufacture.. yet they charge a retarded price for fixtures.  Hence me making my own for $50.00 so far invested.  Sure they are not the same wattage but I sourced an ebay store with the correct ones.  If I make a new light, thats what I will use next time :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

groan

I know. that's the issue I have.
BUT
comparing price to price, between fixtures, for the lazy person with money to burn, LED fixtures are still a good deal.
How much to replace a 6 tube set of bulbs on a T5 HO? 2-300 bucks?
how often do you do that? Nominally every 6-8 months? so over the course of 2 years you could spend 8-1200 bucks! HOLY!
If my math is right (that's not necessarily a given), 50000 hours is 5 years, and that's 24 hours a day., so say you run your lights at 8 hours a day, even thats generous, you can get over 10 years out of them.

I'd say that's pretty decent. Or am I off somewhere?

JetJumper

your pretty much right on target.

I just get annoyed at the price being inflated for the start up price :(

mikerobart

Right now I think the costs are very high because high output LED's needed are still pretty pricy and perhaps with a relatively low number selling prices need to be high. Probably not a ton of manufacturing infrastructure to mass produce them until demand grows.

The Cree LEDs that the higher end fixtures are using are still pretty pricy.

That being said the markup on them is obviously much higher than the tried and true MH and T5 fixtures but those have been around much longer.

Have you seen the phobos and deimos from Pacific Sun ? Insanely awesome control wayyyy to $$$$ for me but people getting good results. Fully software controllable, really cool features, high output. Not to mention bluetooth hookup to pc!

http://www.aquariumled.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

mikerobart

A lot of the cheaper leds actually lose quite a bit of output over the first two years or so and need to be replaced.. there has been a lot of talk about this with respect to the first gen maxspect systems over at RC... they seem to be a lot cheaper than the Aqua Illumination / Pacific Sun / Ecoxotic but maybe for this reason among others.

RossW

I think LED and Plasma are very interesting and close to making it main stream, LED is closer than Plasma.  ReefStock this weekend is going to be very interesting...

It is still too early/unknown for me but I could see myself seriously considering the options in about a year or so.  I think between the saving in not changing bulbs and the cost of hydro to run them they will pay for themselves.  The question is can we get the colours we like, and will they last like they predict.

Ross

JetJumper

Quote from: mikerobart on March 12, 2010, 03:18:48 PM
Have you seen the phobos and deimos from Pacific Sun ? Insanely awesome control wayyyy to $$$$ for me but people getting good results. Fully software controllable, really cool features, high output. Not to mention bluetooth hookup to pc!

http://www.aquariumled.eu/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=6

WOW.. Thats impressive control that you can do with the unit.  something like that would be "almost" worth it.  Not $2000+.  I know I could make something for cheaper.. just lazy.. haha

ray

Most T5's can be stretched to a yr.I have both UVL and ATI at $25 ea so that's $150 for 6 bulbs.So yes your math is off

Ray

groan

Quote from: ray on March 12, 2010, 03:22:47 PM
Most T5's can be stretched to a yr.I have both UVL and ATI at $25 ea so that's $150 for 6 bulbs.So yes your math is off

Ray

:) Thanks Ray. For that much savings I am willing to be off a bit. I'll be sending you a PM soon to get some 6-8 bulb pricing on 48 inch units since I can't afford $1500 right now. Hell i cant afford $300 right now but I need to know what to save for.

KrazieCanuck

I actually plan on taking on an LED DIY project at some point this summer.  I've priced things out and should be able to build a great HO LED fixture for my 90g for approx. $700-$800.  Should be interesting and I can't wait to get started.

Stussi613

Quote from: groan on March 12, 2010, 03:00:28 PM
How much would you save over the course of 2 years?

As a self admitted <geek> and former employee at Buchanan Lighting (many, many years ago) with a little too much time on my hands I did the math:

Consumption calculation =  (Wattage * Hours/day * 365 / 1000) * KWh to get operational cost per year      

T5HO      
Wattage     39   
Hours/day   8   

Consumption   113.88         
$ per KW/h   x0.058   

Price per bulb/year   $6.61   

LED      
Wattage     1   (300 mA * 3.6v for a typical LED)
Hours/day   8   

Consumption   2.92         
$ per KW/h   x0.058   

Price per LED/year   $0.17

Now, onto the more interesting part, the light output.  A standard T5HO puts out ~5000 lumens.  A standard 300 mA LED puts out ~50 lumens.  So you need 100 LED's to match the light output of one T5HO.  Sounds like the T5HO is the better deal, but it isn't.  Considering the aquisition cost of the flourescent bulbs and the shorter life, the LED's are a better choice since you would have to replace the LED's once in 17 years based on a median 50,000 hour life.  Even assuming light drop off after 65% of life, you are still talking about a 10 year cycle for LED bulbs that cost $60 for 50 pieces...and as the industry moves more and more towards LED's you'll see the price come down and light output go up - similar to the way that compact flourescents are now pretty cheap compared to 15 years ago when they first came out. 
I haz reef tanks.

JetJumper

You got me thinking and I found something in the junk pile at work today that would work nicely.

This is the casing of a 22" (DEAD) Dell Monitor.  It would look perfect for a casing for a LED fixture that would cover my tank that I am building.  If I get some spare cash down the road, I will purchase some LEDS and use this to make an entire LED Lamp for my tank. :D

Severum

I was actually thinking to suggest a group buy of LED parts and even try to plan a weekend workshop to get some fixtures made. Anyone up for that?
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

HomerJ

I'd sure be up for it.  In addition, I've been playing with etching my own PCBs in the past, with fairly good results.  That would mean simpler soldering jobs (at the expense of some acid bath and drill press action).  I'm in for designing a PCB and etching a prototype if I can source LEDs for a reasonable price through a group buy.

JetJumper

I would be in for a group buy on LEDS.

the only thing I am not liking so far from most diy LED's is that they use white and blue LED's.  The blue at 450-470nm isn't "glowing" enough for the effect I want, so I would most likely mix in a few 400nm Led's to give a nice "glowing" effect.

I have been reading this so far.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587273

I am contemplating  going for those LED's and sourcing some 400nm's from Ebay.

The size of the Dell Shroud is 17" x 11".  Looking at the design of the other unit made, I think I could get away with 24 x 3w leds in this. 12 x Royal Blue + 12 x White.  Then I would just mix in a few UV's that I have kicking around from my other LED diy project.

So my list would be

12 x Royal Blue
12 x White
4  x 700mA wired buckpucks (3023-D-N-700)
1 x Powersupply (taken from 1U Computer Server)

$233.60 USD. for my config.

Plus any random bits required.

ciaus

Quote from: Severum on March 12, 2010, 09:11:16 PM
I was actually thinking to suggest a group buy of LED parts and even try to plan a weekend workshop to get some fixtures made. Anyone up for that?

I like that idea very much...

Quote from: HomerJ on March 12, 2010, 09:23:21 PM
I'd sure be up for it.  In addition, I've been playing with etching my own PCBs in the past, with fairly good results.  That would mean simpler soldering jobs (at the expense of some acid bath and drill press action).  I'm in for designing a PCB and etching a prototype if I can source LEDs for a reasonable price through a group buy.
That would be the way to go if there was to be a standardized DIY kit for an LED fixture....but the shape of the board - overall dimensions - would be a big factor.  On the other hand the LED density could be driven up quite high compared to what you accomplished in your other thread...for example a 10 CM grid, would have 100LEDs, which would equate to teh lumens output of a T5.  Since a 10cm grid is a 4 inch square, you could, in theory get the equivalent light output of 10 or 11 T5 bulbs into the space normally occupied by only 4  or 6 48" T5 bulbs. Can you say "Blinded by the light!"

The more I think about this the more intriguing the construction of an LED fixture as DIY project becomes.

Ciaus

HomerJ

It could be done in a modular way.  Think of small "tiles" you can daisy chain together to get the light output you need.  If we design say a 6x6 or 10x10 tile, it can be daisy chained to fit all kinds of sizes.

Severum

I can envision hollowing out an old 6 or 8 bulb Tek light and installing fans for LED cooling like this:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1572514

A couple of these kits and your good to go:
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-32/48-Premium-LED-DIY/Detail

That would certainly be amazing for covering my 120 and look real pro too.
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

JetJumper

and then if we want to get really fancy.  We get one of these.  Program a script to power the lights up in a certain order and by simulating the sun rising / setting by dimming the LED's as they come on and off.

http://www.arduino.cc/

This is my goal over all is to make a light and have it controlled by this.  I would also have this controlling my pumps / heaters / etc with probes and relays.

ciaus

That card is sold in Montreal at the robotshop...

KrazieCanuck

Let me know if your doing the group buy on LEDs, I may be interested.

RapidLED.com sells the 107 lumen Cool White Cree LEDs and the Royal Blue Crees for $6.79 each.  They don't list a "bulk buy" price but it's still better then the bulk buys at LEDsupply.com.

Also, you would probably be more interested in the Mean Well LED drivers since they can run a string of 12 3w LEDs each instead of the buckpucks that run 6.  You can get dimmable ones also for extra cost, but would allow for you to fine tune your LED lighting to the color and intensity that you like.

Anyways, let me know if your going to be looking into a group buy and I may join in.  I've been reading a LOT on these projects and from what I have seen a set of 24 Cool Whites and 24 Royal Blues strung together provides the same if not more PAR then a 400w Metal Halide.

You'll also need to consider purchasing a heatsink to mount them on for cooling and possibly reflectors.  I was considering the 80 degree reflectors for a light fixtures that is approx. 1.5 feet above the water.

Anyways...just thoughts and my two cents...

JetJumper

If I do purchase LED's I am most likely going to go with this kit..

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-28/24-Premium-LED-DIY/Detail

If there is enough interest, maybe we can get a better price. :)

Rapid LED Items
Qty   SKU   Description   Price   Total
1   24-KIT-Q5-Dimmable   24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers   $279.00   $279.00
Sub-Total   $279.00
Shipping: USPS Priority Mail with Insurance   $30.00
Sales Tax   $0.00
Total Due:   $309.00

Thats with Shipping to Ottawa area.

Rybren

Tagging along.

I've been contemplating an LED build for my 75G.  I was thinking of 48 Cree 3W XGE with a 50-50 mix of white and royal blue.

There are a couple of threads on RC that detail how to build a CC driver, thus avoiding the use of buckpucks or meanwells.  I also like the idea of using the arduino controller.

For heatsinks, there are folks out there using aluminum U channel vice purchasing heatsinks from heatsink USA.

Unfortunately, my soldering skills and electrical knowledge = 0 and I'm really hesitant to spend $600+ on something that I could easily trash.

A group buy and build might be an option - if those with the skills and knowledge would be willing to help out.

I believe that there's a user here on OVAS (I can't remember his username) who has already built a 48 LED fixture. Maybe he'd be willing to chime in.
120G Reef

Stussi613

Quote from: JetJumper on March 13, 2010, 09:41:49 AM
How about this Bad Boy.

That's exactly what I'm looking for...I just sent a question to that seller asking for the colour temperature of the bulb as well as what kind of discount breaks they offer.  If anybody else if interested in this unit I'll post back the response when I get it.
I haz reef tanks.

RossW

Excuse my ignorance but what would this equate to in PAR, ideally relative to T5HO or Halide.  How may would I need to light a 120g, 4x2x2?

Quote from: JetJumper on March 13, 2010, 12:44:51 AM
If I do purchase LED's I am most likely going to go with this kit..

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-28/24-Premium-LED-DIY/Detail

If there is enough interest, maybe we can get a better price. :)

Rapid LED Items
Qty   SKU   Description   Price   Total
1   24-KIT-Q5-Dimmable   24 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers   $279.00   $279.00
Sub-Total   $279.00
Shipping: USPS Priority Mail with Insurance   $30.00
Sales Tax   $0.00
Total Due:   $309.00

Thats with Shipping to Ottawa area.

JetJumper

Quote from: RossW on March 13, 2010, 04:19:17 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what would this equate to in PAR, ideally relative to T5HO or Halide.  How may would I need to light a 120g, 4x2x2?

Have a look here for the answers you are looking for.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1587273

RossW

FYI, I have been in contact w/ RapidLED and am enquiring about a group buy rate.  When I hear an answer I will let you know and hopefully create a new post in the Group Buy forum.

groan

Quote from: Stussi613 on March 13, 2010, 03:07:17 PM
That's exactly what I'm looking for...I just sent a question to that seller asking for the colour temperature of the bulb as well as what kind of discount breaks they offer.  If anybody else if interested in this unit I'll post back the response when I get it.

i'm interested in this option.
please post what you hear.

groan

What about this?
http://cgi.ebay.com/225-Blue-WHITE-LED-Aquarium-Plant-Grow-Light-Panel_W0QQitemZ220570917461QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item335b0d1a55#ht_3416wt_1002
of course I'd want to know just how bright it is. color is 6-7000K for the whites.

Any thoughts? seems very inexpensive.
for the price it's almost worth just giving it a go. it's 1 foot square. may be good for over a sump if it's not bright enough for the main tank.
I guess it would need a housing and fans.

JetJumper

It uses the same LED's that I used in my DIY LED Module.

I just have Blue and UV specifically, no white LEDs.  I was going to use mine as a actinic suppliment instead of an entire light for the tank.

For a sump it would be fine I would say.

groan

i was just coming back to say that.
this one from the same seller seems more like the main light.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reef-Tank-High-Power-LED-Grow-Light-120W_W0QQitemZ390167901428QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad7d1b4f4#ht_3559wt_1002
not sure how many you would need for a 48 inch tank.
120w equiv.
how bright is 182 par?

JetJumper

These ones from this EBAY seller are more or less "cheap quality Chinese knock offs"

If you have a tank with nice corals in it, I wouldn't risk going with this and having the chance of things dying off :(  They would be fine probably for Aquatic Plants, but Corals.. hmm.. :S 

Stussi613

Quote from: RossW on March 13, 2010, 04:19:17 PM
what would this equate to in PAR
PAR stands for parabolic aluminized reflector and relates more to spotlight type lamps than fluorescent. Typical T5HO is around 5000 lumens.
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Quote from: groan on March 14, 2010, 10:51:46 AM
i'm interested in this option.
please post what you hear.

$550 USD for 10 pieces shipping included...
I haz reef tanks.

johnrt

"PAR stands for parabolic aluminized reflector and relates more to spotlight type lamps than fluorescent. Typical T5HO is around 5000 lumens."

I understood that PAR, in this context, was Photosyntheticly Active Radiation, and was the light energy from a light source that is inside the action spectrum of plants, mostly deep blue and red, as apposed to lumin which is the light sensitivity of the human eye, which is centred on the green part of the spectrum..

RossW

JetJumper

Quote from: johnrt on March 14, 2010, 06:13:49 PM
"PAR stands for parabolic aluminized reflector and relates more to spotlight type lamps than fluorescent. Typical T5HO is around 5000 lumens."

I understood that PAR, in this context, was Photosyntheticly Active Radiation, and was the light energy from a light source that is inside the action spectrum of plants, mostly deep blue and red, as apposed to lumin which is the light sensitivity of the human eye, which is centred on the green part of the spectrum..

You are correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthetically_active_radiation

JetJumper

finally after a bit of searching, I found out whats needed to measure PAR..

2222UWB-3 Underwater Cable, 3 meters
USD 330.00

LI-192SA Underwater Quantum Sensor
USD 670.00

LI-250A Light Meter
USD 675.00

So if anyone wants to be able to measure PAR in your tank, here you go!
https://licor.secure.force.com/catalog/LI_ProductDetailsPage?sku=LI-192SA&viewState=DetailView&cartID=&store=env&g=Q0E=&parentCategory=a0d60000000T9PwAAK&navigationStr=ListProduct&searchText=

Too expensive for my blood!

RossW

I seem to recall Apogee having them in the $150-$200 range.

JetJumper

Found them, seems reasonable.  I will keep these in mind!
thanks!

johnrt

Looking at http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/, the  Model MQ-100 meter is $299. See: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/bqm_spec.htm

More interesting is the sensor alone. See: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/qso_spec.htm, are just $29 each. The calibration is in the sensor. It's spectral sensitivity is the industry standard 'match' to the photosynthetic curve. It is not exact, but as good as it gets outside of a lab and used throughout both the agricultural and aquaculture industries and for measurements reported in "Advanced Aquarium".

The output from this device is calibrated to: 5.00 μmol m^-2 s^-1 per mV, so sensor output x conversion factor = PPF (photosynthetic photon flux) effectively equal to, but not quite Canadian Journal of Plant Physiology grade equal to, PAR.

Full Sunlight is 2000 μmol m^-2 ,s^-1,  so a reading of 400 mV from the sensor x 5.00 μmol m^-2 s^-1 per mV = 2,000 μmol m^-2 s^-1. For simplicity the units are PAR, so if you had one of these beasts, and a good(ish) volt ohm meter and a calculator, you could take a reading on new bulbs, fluorescent, MH, Compact Fluorescent, LED, camefire, whatever, and make a measurement after about 100 hours burn-in, then make measurements every couple of months and decide - for yourself - when to replace expensive bulbs, rather than some blanket rule-of-thumb.

Remember, the accuracy is in the $29 sensor, not the MQ-100 yellow box, so you could also use Arduino boards, or one of it's cheaper clones, mentioned earlier (http://www.arduino.cc/) and one could make a data-logger for about $100 that is much better than the yellow box that Apogee sells, with a USB computer connection and all manor of bells and whistles.

Now that would be a great group build!

We would need:
A 'C' programmer or micro-controller programmer (not me), but *not* difficult,
some soldering people, say me for one, again, not difficult,
some Apogee AL-120 sensors,
some 24 character displays,
a handful of resistors, capacitors and crystals,
optional yellow boxes and
a place to work and some time, not my place.
Oh yes, somebody to organize, probably not me, but that is just my experience.

You know you want one. It will pay for itself when you discover that cleaning you bulbs, reflectors and splash shields restores so much light that bulbs can be used longer. It costs 3 fluorescent tubes or 1 1/2 MH bulbs. . . OK, I want one and can't do the programming.

JetJumper

Quote from: johnrt on March 14, 2010, 11:22:28 PM
Looking at http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/, the  Model MQ-100 meter is $299. See: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/bqm_spec.htm

More interesting is the sensor alone. See: http://www.apogeeinstruments.com/qso_spec.htm, are just $29 each. The calibration is in the sensor. It's spectral sensitivity is the industry standard 'match' to the photosynthetic curve. It is not exact, but as good as it gets outside of a lab and used throughout both the agricultural and aquaculture industries and for measurements reported in "Advanced Aquarium".

The output from this device is calibrated to: 5.00 μmol m^-2 s^-1 per mV, so sensor output x conversion factor = PPF (photosynthetic photon flux) effectively equal to, but not quite Canadian Journal of Plant Physiology grade equal to, PAR.

Full Sunlight is 2000 μmol m^-2 ,s^-1,  so a reading of 400 mV from the sensor x 5.00 μmol m^-2 s^-1 per mV = 2,000 μmol m^-2 s^-1. For simplicity the units are PAR, so if you had one of these beasts, and a good(ish) volt ohm meter and a calculator, you could take a reading on new bulbs, fluorescent, MH, Compact Fluorescent, LED, camefire, whatever, and make a measurement after about 100 hours burn-in, then make measurements every couple of months and decide - for yourself - when to replace expensive bulbs, rather than some blanket rule-of-thumb.

Remember, the accuracy is in the $29 sensor, not the MQ-100 yellow box, so you could also use Arduino boards, or one of it's cheaper clones, mentioned earlier (http://www.arduino.cc/) and one could make a data-logger for about $100 that is much better than the yellow box that Apogee sells, with a USB computer connection and all manor of bells and whistles.

Now that would be a great group build!

We would need:
A 'C' programmer or micro-controller programmer (not me), but *not* difficult,
some soldering people, say me for one, again, not difficult,
some Apogee AL-120 sensors,
some 24 character displays,
a handful of resistors, capacitors and crystals,
optional yellow boxes and
a place to work and some time, not my place.
Oh yes, somebody to organize, probably not me, but that is just my experience.

You know you want one. It will pay for itself when you discover that cleaning you bulbs, reflectors and splash shields restores so much light that bulbs can be used longer. It costs 3 fluorescent tubes or 1 1/2 MH bulbs. . . OK, I want one and can't do the programming.

http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=apogeeint&Product_Code=AL-100

The "leveling plate" is $29.00, the sensor is this link
http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=apogeeint&Product_Code=SP-110&Category_Code=PYR
:( 

johnrt

http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=apogeeint&Product_Code=AL-100

The "leveling plate" is $29.00, the sensor is this link
http://webtrolley.org/mivastore/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=apogeeint&Product_Code=SP-110&Category_Code=PYR
:( 

err, OK, but I'll stand by the rest of the gibberish I wrote. BTW Hence the comment about getting somebody else to organize. I'm kinda a 'big picture' person, not details - *not* a programmer, no, no, no. < bad match.

So that pops it up to 5 fluorescent or 2 2/3 MH bulbs in cost. Still a bar-goon!

Brent Shaver

I have been following this thread and I have to say unless you are good at building, soldering etc this is a very expensive form of lighting.

I do sound engineering for live bands and have worked with alot of lights.  There is alot of options that some might not consider just due to not knowing the industry.  As you all know LED has become popular for both color, less power draw and of course less heat.

I am going to give a link that has nothing to do with aquariums but will show a version of an LED that comes with 288 5mm LED's, these do need a controller but they can be found cheap and used for the simple application of lighting an aquarium.  This system before controller is only $186.99 CAD.  I am pretty sure you could get a controller for under $100 used and this would give you the option to program the exact color you want vs what you are stuck with.  Also this option would allow you to have a dual color mode which would offer a moon light vs day light.

You would need to build a proper stand/rack to hold these as they are of course used for stage.  This unit only draws 37 watts of power and weights a mere 7 lbs so mounting shouldnt be an issue.

As far as light intensity and penetration I would think this would more then cover any aquarium as they are designed to cover stages/dance floors that a considerably larger.  Another perk to this type of system is you can have 0-100% electronic dimming.  It is also rated at 100,000 hours of use.

Anyway here is the link and keep in mind this is just one model, there is many more avaible if this is not right for your application.

http://www.avshop.ca/stage-lighting-wash-amp-pars/wash-lights/american-dj-profile-panel-rgb

Hope this helps and should anyone be interested in this and wants to locate a controller to run it let me know as I will make some calls and see what I can get for you.
Brent

groan

i dont think you would get the proper color mix to give you a good white.
the bulbs colors are red green and blue, though technically mixed they should give white, i'd be hesitant to buy it unless i could know the color temp.
the lights that you get from rapid are rated 6500K with no yellow in the mix giving us exactly what we need.
scared.

Brent Shaver

Considering white is not an actual color in the specturm I dont think this would be an issue.  Even the Aqua Glow bulbs which are rated for corals are a soft blue.  And again that light was just one option there is hundreds possibly thousands of options out there.

I also have noticed that all the SW tanks I have seen have shown with a blue tinge in the lighting so it isnt a true white anyway.  With technology today and the way they know how to make one light cover over a million colors I think the lighting would be sufficient.

Again this just an opinion based on experience using them on stage.

groan

Are these units rentable? May be an option to try it before you buy it.

Brent Shaver

Quote from: groan on March 29, 2010, 12:39:43 PM
Are these units rentable? May be an option to try it before you buy it.

Actually you can rent the controller and light module.

Couple places to check would be
Wall Sound Ottawa
Fleet Sound Bells Corners

Keep in miind these are rented as a commercial application so dont be shocked if you pay a bit to take it from the store.

PS if you tell them you are considering purchasing them (Fleet Sound) they might give you a break.  Wall sound is only rentals.

Hope this helps

Brent Shaver

Also let them know you want more white and blue with the LEDs as I said there is many options.  Also tell them you want the narrowest they have.

Fleet Pro Sound & Lighting
Unit #104 6 Bexley Place
Ottawa, Ontario

Ask for Brent (Not me smiles)  If you tell him I told you to call might help in the loan/cheaper rent issue

JetJumper

Just came across this ad

http://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/11825953

I am going to see if I can get a look at one to see if its viable as an option.

Pricing is nice so far from what it seems.  Will know more once I hear back.

hmm
This is a nicer wavelength for what I was looking for.

RossW

Thanks for the heads up.  I am anxiuos to hear your impressions.

Do the LEDs have lenses?

mikerobart

RossW,

From what I have read on RC the Maxspect's do not use lenses. Even the newer g2 models do not but they are working well for many people on a bit of a budget. The current gen (g2) can be ordered with cree's for added cost but otherwise they use semiled. Maxspect is based in china and can be ordered from fish street and a few other online retailers.. prices are pretty good but shipping is killer. There are still some good threads on RC but many kept getting shut down due to one guy shilling.

Remember no dimming, although light groups are indiv controllable with built in timers. Was looking into these quite a lot awhile back. Dome decent par numbers if I remember right and have seen relatively good sps progression pics as well.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1817995

JetJumper

There will be no shipping costs as the guy is local that is selling them.  So if we get enough people interested he might do a group rate.  We shall see if I hear back from him.

mikerobart

Quote from: JetJumper on April 22, 2010, 01:47:24 PM
There will be no shipping costs as the guy is local that is selling them.  So if we get enough people interested he might do a group rate.  We shall see if I hear back from him.

I'm interested to hear how it goes with this local guy and what his prices are compared to the online stores.

omarh

ya, let me know as well, i was about to email him until i saw your post!
I'm currently on the look out for lighting fixtures!

JetJumper

HomerJ

Not sure if you got a reply but I had emailed him yesterday:

(I hope it's ok to post prices, I'm not affiliated with the seller).  Here is the reply I got:

$320 is for 110w demo model only, and it is a limited time offer.
after giving out the demo ones, the regular price will be the folowing:
LED-G2-400-110w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $336+tax+S&H 
LED-G2-400-160w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $448+tax+S&H
LED-G2-400-180w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $498+tax+S&H Not in stock
LED-G2-800-170w:      Lamp size: 800*180*45mm          $580+tax+S&H
LED-G2-800-230w:      Lamp size: 800*180*45mm          $680+tax+S&H

A bit cheaper than ordering directly from fish street.

JetJumper

I had called and talked to him, he is supposed to get back to me with a time frame to view one.  Good job on the pricing though!

groan

DAMN! Wish aI'd known about this a week ago. Thsi is what I get for not reading my own thread for a while.

Severum

If the map on the post is where he lives its real close to me. I'd like to check the light out too if your meeting time works for me. Let me know if I can tag along. :)
Regards,
Steve Everum

120 gallon reef

mikerobart

Considering shipping from fish street and the trouble you can have with customs charges those prices are quite nice actually. Definitely better than fish-street. Check out the owners club thread on rc lots of good stuff there.

groan

I  jsut emailed him to see if he can get strips for moon  lights.
I saw these and they look really good.
http://cgi.ebay.com/48-24-LED-Moonlight-Aquarium-Moon-Light-n-Power-Supply-/150389612188?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2303eb5e9c#ht_3843wt_939
He also has a dimmable one (uses a variable output transformer for the plug)

If this other guy can get them for less than $60 i'll go see him.

JetJumper

QuoteI can give you a demo today. The price is 320+tax=$361.6. It is about $50 less than the onsale price, where S&H is applied. I only accept cash now. I will give you a written receipt with my GST#. The product is covered by 18month manufacute warrenty. Simple let me know if you found any issue. I will deal with the manufacture directly for you. The sale price will be the folowing. You would not find better price anywhere else.
LED-G2-400-110w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $336+tax+S&H   
LED-G2-400-160w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $448+tax+S&H
LED-G2-400-180w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $498+tax+S&H Not in stock
LED-G2-800-170w:      Lamp size: 800*180*45mm          $580+tax+S&H
LED-G2-800-170w:      Lamp size: 800*180*45mm          $680+tax+S&H

S&H is $50 per 40cm light and $70 per 80cm lights. The high cost is due to the
fact that all lights are shipped from oversea.

I will be free to give you a demo after 5:00pm today

little more on pricing break down.

I will be going after work today to take a look.

JetJumper

hmm.. I bought one..  :D

Will have pictures tomorrow.  Quality is 9/10 I would say.  Colour is nice, I had him test it on his tank at his house.  all in all it brought out the colours nicely.  My camera doesn't do the pictures justice.. but I will have them processed tomorrow.  Right now, going to watch a movie with the misses.  ::)

And for those interested, you should be able to put lenses on the bulbs.  I am tempted to order lenses and see, but I am 80% sure they would work.

HomerJ

Cool, which size did you go with?

JetJumper

Picture time

Full Tank with LED on

Control Module
Mode option
Timer option
+/White (This actually just turns the white LED's on or off)
-/Blue (Yet again, blue fully on, or fully off)
Display cycles through Time and Temperature of the LED Unit

Nice design, had them running for a while last night, didn't really go past 35 Degree's temperature wise.  There is a nice sized cooling fan on the top of the unit, very silent operation.  It comes with either top glass mount rails like you see here, or it comes with a hanger assembly.  There is no wall mount bracket.  Probably has to be ordered separately.

Only White

Only Blue

Both

Looking at this, it looks like lenses can be installed, there might be enough room around the reflector hole cutouts.  The 4 holes not lit up are the moonlights which come on when the white / blue is completely off.  Forgot to take a picture.  Will do a better one when my large tank is setup.

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

ordi260

By the way, what is the dimensions of the fixture's bracket?? 

I might get one for my 20 gallon...would it fit on it?

Also what about noise??  Any fans in there?  Is it quiet?

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

JetJumper

Quote from: ordi260 on April 24, 2010, 10:22:29 AM
By the way, what is the dimensions of the fixture's bracket?? 

I might get one for my 20 gallon...would it fit on it?

Also what about noise??  Any fans in there?  Is it quiet?

QuoteNice design, had them running for a while last night, didn't really go past 35 Degree's temperature wise.  There is a nice sized cooling fan on the top of the unit, very silent operation.  It comes with either top glass mount rails like you see here, or it comes with a hanger assembly.  There is no wall mount bracket.  Probably has to be ordered separately.

I will check later what the bracket will go to for its smallest option.

mikerobart

Very nice. Does that model have the 30w's ?

JetJumper

No, the 30Watts are only white anyways.  This is the 110w model. 

I didn't really see the point in paying an extra $100 I think it works out too for more white.  I like the colour this gives off :)

mikerobart

Yeah many people found with the 30's on it was too white for their taste and had those on when they were not viewing as much. Depending on depth of tank though and what you're keeping they may be useful in achieving higher par... Haven't seen the #'s with the 30 w's on and off to compare. Either way great light you got there I like the high tech look a lot and that power supply with built in timers and temp readout is slick.

JetJumper

Couple more pictures for people.

JetJumper

it was a little to blue for me, so I swapped it for the 160watt version.  LOTS OF LIGHT!  IT WILL BLIND YOU!  Pictures will come later in my tank log.

Rybren

The light looks great.  Too bad it didn't come out a few weeks ago  :'( 
120G Reef

mikerobart

Great pics. I think you will probably be happier with the 160w... I've read it is very white and I believe the 30w LEDs make a significant contribution to par. Probably a good thing on your fairly deep tank.

JetJumper

percula99

I contatcted this Maxspect distributor on my own this weekend before finding this thread. Below is what he quoted me. He never mentioned S&H charges. I am interested in the group buy but there does not seem to be any activity on this thread for a while. What is the latest on this?

QuoteThanks a lot for your interests. The best price I can offer to you is $448+tax per unit for 160w one. All the light come with 18 month manufacture warranty.
LED-G2-400-180w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $498+tax
LED-G2-400-110w:      Lamp size: 400*180*45mm          $336+tax
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

JetJumper

I ended up buying the 160watt version.

Here is what it looks like on my tank

percula99

I like the colour JJ. I recently switched from my XM MH to Artemis (very blue) back to XM. I find my tank really yellow now. I like the whiteness of your LED lighting. I have a 180 and would like to get the G2-160W fixture. I guess since you already bought your fixture you will not be part of any future group buys. Is there still anything going on with this or am I on my own? Anyone?
180 gallon reef. 250 lbs live rock. Mostly LPS and softies with some SPS. Show fish are Blonde Naso, Emperor Angel, mated Ocellaris clowns. 504 watt LEDs..

JetJumper

Honestly from when I was talking with the guy selling them, I don't think he will move on pricing for a group buy as I did inquire a bit about it.  There was another topic in the group buy section you might want to post in.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?topic=43134.0

See if people are monitoring it more then this.  He told me that the first bit was going to be no shipping charges.. untill he finds out if there is a good enough market.

percula99

A friend of mine and me want to buy 6 G2-160Ws from him and he quoted me $448 + tax. So maybe I will just leave it at that. That is a better price than buying it from HongKong and paying shipping and duty. Thanks.

JetJumper

I just wanted to show this update on what they have come out with now for the Maxspect LED unit.

I will most likely be getting one of these once I can find a source. :)

RossW

Let us know when and where you find them.  I am assuming the guy on UsedOttawa will eventually have them.

Quote from: JetJumper on August 30, 2010, 10:20:39 AM
I will most likely be getting one of these once I can find a source. :)

percula99

Hi Ross

I am not sure if the guy on UsedOttawa is still selling them or not. His ad was gone the last time I looked there. I have his email address at home still if you want to contact him personally.

Gerry

JetJumper

Already sent him a message about it :)

JetJumper

Update:

Quote"The new optics is not officially released yet. I will let you know as soon as I find out the price and available date.Bin"

So I will let people know when I get pricing if anyone is interested.

They are also coming out with colour options as well..
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17566903&postcount=884

RossW

Thanks for the update, please keep us informed.

laker

I don't think north America buyers can order from oversea on-line store directly anymore, although I did not try. maxspect has official distributors through maxspectcanada.com. You can find the official price from the website. Comparing with other LED aquarium light fixture, the price is still attractive. 
The guy on usedottawa gives some discount off the MSRP. But the price is higher than before when he can order directly from manufacture.

JetJumper

Yeah, I am a little disappointed in the pricing now on the units.  When I bought mine I got it at a much cheaper price then they are now. 

Anyone interested there are par readings!

http://maxspectcanada.com/page12.html

JetJumper

Updated Pictures from someone that took them at MACNA

HomerJ

nissannx

Quote from: HomerJ on September 15, 2010, 09:55:22 AM
I wonder how many would be required.  If you add up the bulbs (2 or 3 kits of 10), the sockets, the transformers, and some type of semi-decent enclosure/heatsink, prices start to rise quickly.

Still... tempting ;-b

sorry i just re read it you would need a potlight retro with a built in transformer to 12v dc. which would add up. need to read fully before getting excited lol on a positive not the have 3w led for cheap for a diy retro lol

HomerJ

Quote from: nissannx on September 15, 2010, 02:50:47 PM
you would only need to buy the mr16 sockets. everything will run off your 120 volt house circuit, each bulb is self powered as well as indivudualy heat sinked. pretty cheap way to get into led. im really tempted myself. small investment of $130 shipped to my house to get up and running with 20x 3watt led bulbs plus mr16 sockets

The led bulbs are 12V DC so unless you have some kind of transformer (or the socket includes one) you can't run them off 120v AC

nissannx

your quick you replied before i could edit. i like your ninja skills

JetJumper

So, if you use this:

http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-26/Mean-Well-ELN-dsh-60-dsh-48P-dimmable/Detail

According to their specs that will Power 12 3w cree's.

Then get this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/10x-MR11-MR16-LED-Halogen-Lamp-Bulb-Socket-Fixtures-/110576256624?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bedbc670

$64~ for drivers
$110~ for 20 LED's (3w each)
$08~ for sockets

182.00 for enough LED's for a 2-3ft x 2-3ft zone.

Plus you can hook that up to a reefkeeper and it will dim your LED's

JetJumper

And those LED's have build in heatsinks.  If you have something with decent airflow to put them into, then they will be just fine.

JetJumper

I recently picked up a nice RBTA and just wanted to show what it looks like under the LED's I got.

Half of it is still hidden underneath the rocks.. but its slowly getting settled in.

[attachment deleted by admin]

HomerJ

Quote from: JetJumper on October 14, 2010, 09:08:18 PM
I recently picked up a nice RBTA and just wanted to show what it looks like under the LED's I got.

Is that the Maxspect unit?  Or are you talking about the ebay bulbs?

Nice looking RBTA!

JetJumper

Quote from: HomerJ on October 15, 2010, 07:23:51 AM
Is that the Maxspect unit?  Or are you talking about the ebay bulbs?
Nice looking RBTA!

Sorry, it is the Maxspect unit.

I just saw the prices for Optics kit and near fell off my seat in shock.  The pricing has increased a lot for Maxspect which is mainly derived from Man in the middle now with proper wholesale setup in Canada / US.  For 60Degree optics for my unit it would be $160 upgrade.. which I find out to left field.. doing a bit of comparing I found this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320612020077&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2911wt_922

So I ordered them for $20 shipped and I will let you know how it goes!  I wish I had a par meter to compare.. Anyone got one I can borrow?  Only LED's that will not have optics are the 30W ones... but for $10 I can get optics for them as well.

BTW.. the BTA is finally settled in and eating well.  It opens up about 10" across  Its HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timm3h

Hi guys. I am new to this, just looking into options for my set up. I did find cheap cree LEDs on dealextreme.com (free shipping, no tax) just takes a month to get here.