New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

thx for making my water changes easy :)

Started by RoxyDog, September 16, 2005, 10:24:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoxyDog

About a month ago people posted about how to go about making a python.  I just wanted to say I tried the garden hose and waterbed fill/bleed kit ($20.00 total) and it worked great!  Thanks so much everyone for posting your ideas.  :) :)
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

Did you go with an actual garden hose, or clear vinyl?  I had a half-hearted attempt to assemble a DIY python at HD last night, but could only find the clear vinyl in 20' lengths, and I aborted...

manytanks

I don't want to be alarmist here but I think I recall a thread quite a few months back that discussed the possibility of certain garden hose plastics introducing not-so-good chemicals into the water. Slow breakdown/aging of the plastic from sunlight might be a contributing factor and may not be of any concern if you're only using it indoors, but you might want to check this out, do a search through previous posts, etc. just to be sure...

RoxyDog

I used a regular 50' garden hose from C. Tire.  All I had to do was hook the kit up to the tap and the hose to the kit and voila, easy as pie.  I bought the hose new so hopefully the small amount of time it's in the tank would be okay, but I'll check out previous posts.  Thank you.  :)

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

pegasus

It's true. Never use the water that has been sitting in a garden hose for a while. (specialy when the garden hose is still new) let it flow out for a minute or so before filling your tanks.

I once forgot and had to move all my fish to another tank when I did realized I had poisoned them! (The fish were sick within 2-3 hours)

RoxyDog

cool...so as long as I be sure to let the old water flow out for a bit first, then  the garden hose is okay?

darkdep

Hehe Anyone know where one can find a 50' length of clear vinyl at a good price, as opposed to a garden hose?

sylvain

the fact with the garden hose is true, if you are using a garden hose outside, when you are done with it, normally people just turn off the valve, so the water stays in the hose until the next use, it sits in the sun, gets really hot, that's when most damage are done to the hose and it releases chemicals in the water. But if you use a DEDICATED garden hose, just inside for your aquarium (s) ONLY, and you make sure you empty all the water in it after each use, there is absolutely not problems at all. It is a good thing to let the water run through it before each use for a few seconds.
Sylvain 
220-
150-
120-

RoxyDog

darkdep...even if you find some long tubing, what about the connectors on the end?  I didn't go that way b/c I'm not exactly handy.  I would have preferred the clear tubing though.   if you find the tubing and make one easily, please pass on the directions.  :)  for now I'm just gonna be extra careful with my garden hose.