New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

LED Build

Started by JetJumper, August 30, 2011, 08:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JetJumper

Well, at long last I settled.  I found something I wanted to attempt to build and this is what came in the mail today. (Ebay Item)

Opening up the box it was like Christmas time!  However I had to pay for it so its not as fun.  Total contents of the box is:

180 x 3 watts Bridgelux LED  (You can bash that they are not CREE's but from what I have seen, there isn't much of a difference.)
- 80 White
- 80 RoyalBlue
- 16 UV
- 4 Red
180 x 60 degree optics
10 x  dimmable LED drivers
6 x heatsinks (With fans and kits to hang them)

And here is a closer look

First we have the heat sink and hanging kit.  Decent heatsink thats fairly large.  7"X0.9"X15.8" Is the size.  So lots of room for lots of LED's!  Muahahahaa

Here we have the fans included.  I ran one today at work next to my desk and its pretty quiet.  The box says 16db for sound which to be honest, I couldn't hear it at all. So I am happy with that since there are going to be 6 of them running in total.  Next do it is the box of LED's.  Thats a lot of LEDS!!!!  So if you do the math thats 30 LED's per heatsink so the fans are a must as I am already over the limit for passive cooling on a heatsink of that size and that many LED's

The drivers for the LED's.  Sure they are not meanwells, but from what I have run a few other drivers like this and never had a problem at all.  They have a DC output of 30-70V's meaning they will run 12-20LED's per driver.  There are power supplies for the fans and potentiometer  for the dimming (I know, its manual.. but I will figure something out to automate it later)

Better idea of how many LED's there are.

Lovely bag of optics.

So the fun begins in putting this all together.  I will take some pics along the way.  Stay tuned for more.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Hookup

Yer Gunnar be buzzeh.....

JetJumper

I am already blind from testing each LED before I plan on gluing them to the heatsinks.  God they are bright when you are 12" away from them with a battery and wire

This is one of the UV's

Thunda

Looks to be quite the project.  Half the fun though will be in the building of it :)  The other half when it's done and set up and over the tank.  Congrats and we will be watching your progress.  Enjoy

SeaKing

Looks like a great kit. Are you able to point us to the ebayer that sells these?

JetJumper

Quote from: SeaKing on August 30, 2011, 09:43:04 PM
Looks like a great kit. Are you able to point us to the ebayer that sells these?

I will have to dig this up after I surf through my inbox to find the name of them again.  I usually just found things by searching ebay for royal blue led as the only real purpose for royal blue led's currently is... you guessed it!!! Aquariums.. hehe  sorry I am tired.

Just finished gluing all the led's to one heat sink and here is the design I came up with.

So you know what colours they actually are, heres a MS Paint master peice!

jon1985

Now I dont want to be at work today.  Did you test my LEDs aswell ;)

JetJumper

Quote from: jon1985 on August 31, 2011, 07:38:07 AM
Now I dont want to be at work today.  Did you test my LEDs aswell ;)

I will tonight when I get home.  They were in a different package :P

Hookup

MS Paint at 2am is win!

;D :) :)

magnosis

Quote from: Hookup on August 31, 2011, 09:14:23 AM
MS Paint at 2am is win!

;D :) :)

LOL
@Jet, I approve of your keyboard :D  Oh yeah true, this is about LEDS... sorry carry on !

JetJumper

Quote from: magnosis on August 31, 2011, 11:03:17 AM
LOL
@Jet, I approve of your keyboard :D  Oh yeah true, this is about LEDS... sorry carry on !

I love the keyboard!  makes MS Paint possible at 2:00AM with the lit up keys!!! hahah

Update:

So one fixture out of 6 done.  Thats actually the UV in the first picture.  The next set of pictures will show the RED LED but the thermal paste is setting for the night.  Hopefully more tomorrow night!

Hookup

Well aren't you just toooooo handy... Haha

Looking pretty nice... I assume you'll leave the lens off the UV?

JetJumper

More updates..  Here is a prototype of what I am planning on doing.  If I like this I will use pine or maple or birch or something to make the box out of instead of Poplar.  We shall see. 

salvini55

Dude this is sweet! cant wait to see it over the tank

JetJumper

Here are some action pictures so far of 1 fixture.

Ignore the brain that is healing :P  It half died off and has regained a lot of its tissue so far.

More white then blue in this shot.

JetJumper

I am making the fixtures to have dual power cords so I can setup a timer to control the white's and control the blues.

More to come when the fixture is finished.

FocusFin

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Thunda

Looks to coming along nicely :)

Hookup

Looks kind of girly if you ask me... jab-jab...

8) 8)

JetJumper

Quote from: Hookup on September 06, 2011, 08:59:09 AM
Looks kind of girly if you ask me... jab-jab...

8) 8)

GRRR!!!!!  Why I outtaa -------- :P