New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

25 Gal H tank build

Started by missavgp, April 27, 2018, 08:37:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

missavgp

So here is my attempt at a salt tank. I am using a 25 gal tall tank, I have a Glamorca GP02 gyre flow pump, 2 heaters and a ZooMed 24 inch T5HO light. There is currently 20 lbs of liverock in there, but I am going to get another 5-10lbs. I will be getting a skimmer but haven't so far as there is no livestock yet. After the recommendations from my other thread, I am not running a filter, just the wavemaker and liverock.
Mom of boys. Less drama than girls, but harder to keep alive

sniggir

Good start! As soon as u can get a skimmer I would. It will help with any die of from your rock also wait about 3 weeks before adding anything the rock will seed the sand bed. Then add in your inverts you are going to want a mix of snales get about 30 of them and get a mix of hermit crabs aswell 30 of them then 5 peppermint shrimp will be a good start on clean up crew! When they have settled in you can start adding in your fish but go slow start with one like clown fish as they are very hardy stay away from damsels
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

missavgp

here's an update. The tank had been running for two weeks tomorrow. As of last Sunday levels were ammonia:0ppm, nitrIte: 0ppm, nitrAte: 5ppm, so I added 6 hermit crabs and three snails Tuesday after speaking with someone at the store. Since I used cured rock I didn't have much of a cycle. All are doing great, levels are stable with no changes detected when they were added.
Parameters in the tank are:
pH: 8.2
NH3ammonia:0ppm
NO2:0ppm
NO3: <5ppm
temp: 79F
Salinity: 1.025
alkalinity: 9dKH
Calcium: 480ppm
Phosphate (PO4)   < 0.2 ppm

Box Jockey

Any progress on your build? I find Saltwater a challenging but rewarding niche of our hobby.
"You can't run from me! Oh, you *can* run from me! You keep surprising me." -- Tamatoa

missavgp

It's been a long time since I updated this. Still going strong though and I wanted to update with a new addition to my build. I am building a 5G sump/refugium to go in the stand. I unfortunately can't go any larger due to the size of the stand, but think this should work.
I have been running it with a Glamorca 1 wavemaker until the control module died, and have since been using a wavemaker I got from amazon, which is also where I got my ATO. for additional filtration I have been using a Fluval U3 in tank filter. I have had a few issues with algae, but have battled them mostly into submission lol.

The change in my setup will be that everything bar the wavemakers will be moved to the sump. I have a small skimmer that will be going in there as well. the plan is that this week I will silicone everything into place and hopefully be able to get everything set up next weekend. lol we will see how that goes though.

Please excuse the mess behind the tank, it's been a long weekend :)