New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

mixing african cichlids?

Started by Marx, October 25, 2004, 08:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marx

can you mix mbunas and Haplochromis in same tank?

also.. are Haplochromis rare?

i've seen lots of type of Haplochromis great colours and i think that would make a sweet tank?

what do you think?

ambushman2j

you can...but you need to be careful when doing this.. haps are open water fish, and therefore vulnerable to rock dweller attacks..and on the other side, open water fish tend to be meat eaters where as mbuna are veggies.. so if you have haps too big and mbuna too small they might try and eat em.. you really have to get specific about what combination you want to try for an accurate pridiction of what will happen

Nerine

I have some baby haps and I was doing research on them and it says they are on the endangered species list. No idea how rare they are but I've seen them going for 20$
they are great fish :D though right now I'm running out of room for them ;)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

ambushman2j

erm..what kind of haps are you refering to?.. hap is a general term like pseudotropheus.. I would be surprised if certain haps are endangered..while I am sure some are..i'd like to know which ones

artw

ambushman is correct there is no endemic "haplochromis" in Lake Malawi they have all been put in new groups (copadichromis, protomelas, dimidochromis etc)
feel free to come over to my place and have  alook at the cichlid book,  or you can look at the one at big Als

Nerine

Haplochromis obliquidens on the endangered species list..supposedly that's what I also have...it's what they were sold under anyways.
what kind of haps do you have marx?
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Marx

i have none lol... i'm starting up the tank tho..

Nerine

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :)
are you interested in some haplochromis obliquidens?
I think I'm keeping my Labidochromis caeruleus hehe they are just an awesome colour!

pegasus

Nerine,
Would you have a picture of your haplochromis obliquidens? I found too many LFS who had Haplochromis sp " C44 " instead of the haplochromis obliquidens.

thanks

Nerine

http://www.geocities.com/alysafarrell/fry.html
There is the link to a few photos

They are still quite young...aprox 3 months old the first couple pics and the youngest fry are 1 1/2 months old (aprox)