New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Grand SLAM

Started by pegasus, November 17, 2004, 10:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pegasus

In my 55 gal. tank I have:
Pair Red Empress 1m/2F
Pair Electric Blue *(Ahli)
Pair Tretocephalus
Pair leleupi
4 possibly all males Tropheus Kaiser Flametail
1 Neolamprologus brichardi

Since Saturday.... The tank went wild.
First the Leleupi spawn, then a Red Empress and the Electric Blue got their eggs. Tonight the second Red Empress got the favor of her male and the Neolamprologus tretocephallus spawn. I've got a long night ahead of me. The male Red Empress is too aggressive and will be the one taking new residence. The tretocephallus eggs and the substrate will be move to a netted cage.

It could have been worse if I also had another brichardi and a female tropheus in this tank. Nevertheless .... What an exciting evening!

The Tropheus came from 2 different auctions, ours in Feb. and Montreal's. They were 4 Tropheus Kaiser in each. Question is.... After 7 months or so I realize I have 8 beautiful males. IS this common practice??
I also bought 8 Aulonocara jacobfreigergi.... All FEMALES!

328iGuy

YAHOO!! :)

Now if only our lives had as much excitement as those males!  8)

pegasus

GrandSlam result:
Both Red Empress din't keep their eggs even after I took the male out. The Leleupi had ate theirs before also.

But the Ahli and the tretocephalus are doing ok. See four yourself.

328iGuy

Looking great man....

pegasus

Important update:
The Tropheus are breeding! Probably their first.
At one time, I was afraid I had only males. I think there maybe a second female.  :D Time will tell.

So in this 55gal tank, all the species have bred. :)

328iGuy

WOOOHOOOOO

Are you going to sell the offspring?!?!?

Put me down for #1!!! :)

pegasus

QuoteAre you going to sell the offspring?!?!?
Put me down for #1!!!  
It's her first time, if the female hold until a couple of days past Xmas then I should have some fry. I'll be keeping the first 12 to build a colony, the rest will go to your tank. :)
I only have 3 Kaiser with many other africans and that tank, so you see what I mean by not doing exactely what others are saying but to better understand how they came to those conclusions.
See the pair....

328iGuy

Well thats great.  Great shot of the pair too......

So you currently have one holding?

You wont get anymore than 6 fry if she holds to term, if that.......they dont produce the fry like Malawi's as they are much larger when spit.  8)

pegasus

QuoteSo you currently have one holding?
The one in the picture is holding, and you are right, probably not that many fry. Looks like there are two other females  :)  in the other tank, for a ratio 4m/3f. One male is getting beat up and will be move to join a tropheus free tank. :cry:

328iGuy

Quote from: "pegasus"
QuoteSo you currently have one holding?
The one in the picture is holding, and you are right, probably not that many fry. Looks like there are two other females  :)  in the other tank, for a ratio 4m/3f. One male is getting beat up and will be move to join a tropheus free tank. :cry:

Sounds good....let us know how it goes.....

If you decide to strip her you will definitely get a good % more fry....

Sue

great photo. It shows the male with white around the lips. I used to see that on my male kaiser's also.

pegasus

Sue, you were right when you told me to wait a bit longer before discarding them as all males. BTW The female Kaiser, as my f. tretocephalus, looses their colors two to three days before spawning. Did you ever notice something like that?

I also saw one of your duboisi at Dave's party, what a nice looking fish. :)

Sue

I never noticed tropheus loosing colour, but then I find it hard to tell one from another, apart from the top males. I remember a female tret once turned a lovely pearly irridescent colour when about to spawn.  I didnt notice anything befor that.

pegasus

Well the female tropheus dropted/swallowed the eggs after 13 days. :cry:  Worst ... I lost my 5 weeks tretocephalus fry to a heather. :cry:  :cry:  :cry:
See my post on DIY heather holder.