New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish for 29 gallon

Started by NanoSF, April 06, 2011, 06:58:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

I have always been very minimal with fish and heavy on coral. Now that I have a fuge I think I can take on some more fish. The one fish I have I might get rid of unless its habits change with more fish in the tank. I have a yellow clown goby, and it is keeping all my acans closed up as it hops from acan to acan and does its sitting thing. Lazy fish  :)

So the question is what kind of fish do you like that would be fine in a 29 gallon with a 20 gallon fuge (tons of pods btw)

I have a few things I wouldn't mind opinions on too, as I have started to compile a list of possible options. I would like to avoid aggression issues so if you could share your experience with that too it would be great.

Coral beauty angle
Purple firefish
Pipefish (not sure which one yet)
And suggest some more please

FocusFin

I find the Banghai Cardinal makes a great addition to a smaller tank. They need very little room as they don't swim but instead kind of hover. I've had mine for nearly four years and never had an aggressive moment, no illness and is always happy to see me.

110g saltwater/reef

I was walking down the street and a man was hammering on a roof top and he called me a Paranoid Little Weirdo. . . in morse code.

Darth

your angel may nip your corals, maybe some blennies I had a yellow tail blenny he was awesome all black with a yellow tail, he used to live in the rocks you would see his little head popping out, I don't know what happen to him he was there one day and gone the next *sigh* I miss that fish

NanoSF

Quote from: Darth on April 06, 2011, 08:15:50 AM
your angel may nip your corals,

Ya I have heard both sides of this one. I'd be better to not take the chance. Just a beautiful fish that actually could live in a small tank. I was just shocked that there was an angle small enough to fit in my tank.

FocusFin, I like that one. I like calm swimmers so I think that would work nicely. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look it up.

White Lightning

Severum

Yasha haze goby with randall's pistol shrimp.
Yellow canary blenny

:)
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

NanoSF

Quote from: Severum on April 06, 2011, 10:59:45 AM
Yasha haze goby with randall's pistol shrimp.

Do the pistol shrimps dig out so much that they may cause rocks to move. I have about half of my rock attached and the rest just sitting solidly. I have stayed away from this combo before because I am worried about my rock falling over.

Also, how active are these Banghai Cardinals? Do they really just hover all the time. Is there at least some movement. I don't think I want a fish that is going to just hover in one area of the tank all the time.

Darth

they do swim just not very active, they kinda hover from place to place just not constant swimmers I have a pajama cardinal that I love because he is a bit more colorful

SWFitzy

tail spot blenny is a amazing fish to watch! 8)

NanoSF

So a few votes for Blennies. I am so useless when it comes to fish knowledge. Do all Blennies hide in rock work? Are there some blennies that swims more than hide? It says they perch too...it's not going to sit on my corals like the darn Clown Goby is it?

NjOyRiD

my midas blenny was swimming all the time
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

SWFitzy

our tailspot and dads tailspot, swim around lots, and hide in rock work, ours dont hide in any of our corals.

cdylnicki

I would avoid the pipefish - I find them very finicky.

maybe a trio of anthias?  Or a dragonette?

NanoSF

Okay good a Blenny it is then.

So as far as tank mates goes this is how it might be if all works out.

Yellow Clown Goby
Some kind of Blenny
Some kind of Cardinal
Some kind of Pipefish (okay I just got a reply on this, I might look into this first)
Purple Firefish Goby
And I would LOVE the anthias but wouldn't that be too much for a 29 gallon? Even if I had less of the other fish 3 Anthias on their own are a bit much for my tank aren't they?

Anyone see any potential problems with the grouping? Oh ya, are any of these jumpers. I am open top.

Feivel

i gound this link looking up the mandarin dragonette BEAUTIFUL FISH but ...... lol read this guys story :)

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=148998

Darth

his tank is too small for a mandarin it will wipe out his pods in no time, unless he can get one that eats frozen but they are expensive

NanoSF

Ya I tried a mandarin once, but it started to get skinny. I had to get rid of it. I think I could keep it going longer now, but in the end it will still overtake my systems ability to keep up.

I'm not going to be the guy in the article buying hundreds of dollars worth of pods becuase his wife likes the fish.  :)

Darth

well they are beautiful fish, and the nice thing is you can buy then aquacultured now where they eat frozen, but they are pricey, but I guess if you are spening that much on live you would be able to afford to buy one eating frozen

NanoSF

Ya it was pretty stupid. Wife better have been really hot  :) JK

salvini55